plasticpenguin

What TV/DVDs are you watching?

Doctor Foster series 1, BBC tv series. Tense and twisty turny. Recommended.

Jack NSM

Watched a recording of 'City of Tiny Lights,' last night.  A BBC/BFI production.  Had a good plot and they managed to total it by being genre clever.  The main character either had a ciggie in his mouth and if he didn't it was a glass of whisky.  Worried I might get lung Cancer or Cirrosis of the liver, before it finished. Took me a while to figure out it kept flashing back to when the main characters were young.  A blond Billie Piper and a younger version of her.  They were both blond, oh! and female apart from that? The two main male characters were Asian Brits. Their younger selves were also Asian Brits and the similarity ended there.  It's no wonder BFI sponsored films never go on general release.  Very worthy but dull, dull, dull.  

I watched a 1955 Czech film “A Journey To The Beginning Of Time”. I read that it was being rereleased in 4k at very high price, but managed to get hold of an old copy and downloaded some subtitles.

Directed by Karen Zeman, it is a good old Boy’s Own type of adventure. Four boys (the only actors in the film) row through a cave into prehistory and the further they go, the further back in time they go, through the great epochs of prehistory.

A very clever mix of live action, drawing, and stop-motion animation - influencing later artists like Ray Harryhausen - the boys encounter mammoths, sabre-toother tiger and various dinosaurs..

On 08/05/2020 at 13:09, Non-Smoking Man said:

Doctor Foster series 1, BBC tv series. Tense and twisty turny. Recommended.

Jack NSM

The brilliant Jodie Cromer who plays Villanelle in Killing Eve has a small part in this. She lights up the screen in Killing Eve.

watched Tracker on Prime , very good and beautiful scenery 

Posted (edited)

Watched 'The Revenant' for the second time. The opening scene is very good. I enjoyed the North American winter wasteland. Acting was terrific, although identifying the different actors through those scruffy beards not easy at times.

Also, the 'Spooks' repeats on the BBC i Player, are getting me through the long hours of my fasting diet (see thread in Public Bar (rather than 'Food And Drink')).

Spooks makes 'Sherlock' look tedious, self indulgent and sentimental. And - where are Benedict Cumberbatch's shoulders?

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

just on my way through 4th series of spooks , just love that series . 

The Dirty Dozen. The original from the 1960s. Good film.

Brilliant !

Calderero_sastre_soldado_esp_a_Miniserie

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Guy Martin's D-Day Landings. Very good if predictable. He wouldn't be allowed to jump unless he passed X-amount of jumps and cleared by a Para instructor. Of course he passed otherwise the programme couldn't be completed.

What next: Guy Martin builds and flies Branson's Space Shuttle?

Edited by plasticpenguin

Luis Buñuel film “ The Exterminating Angel” a surrealist film about a group of high-society people invited to a dinner party who find themselves unable to leave the room!

The opera by Thomas Ades based on this film  is on the Met Opera free stream later this week too!

Looking forward to revisiting The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I have it on the DVR.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Looking forward to revisiting The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I have it on the DVR.

I prefer the really tacky Spaghetti westerns, ones on a low budget, where their mouth movement is out of sync with the sound.

On 03/06/2020 at 23:40, Tony_J said:

Watched it this evening - excellent stuff. Classic line from Clint at the end: "There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend, those who have loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

Also [Clint - Reading a letter] "See you soon, idiots". It's for you.