xlr female to 2 xlr male or keep using my short silver RCA?

Hi there

My newly acquired upgraded Teac UD-H01 has XLR output and my Primare A30.1 has dual XLR inputs per channel.

I've been using a short pure silver RCA cable from my DACs which I acquire many ears ago. I was wondering, should I upgrade to XLR? I like the pro nature of XLR and have never used XLR before so I may just give it a try.

Any suggestions for a source for cheap but good XLR cables which would compare to pure silver RCA interconnects? I have found these on ebay which look promising for budget XLR:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50cm-Premium-XLR-Male-Plug-to-2-XLR-Female-Jack-Mic-Microphone-Audio-Cable-Cord/232120757418?hash=item360b79acaa:g:nNUAAOSwT2NavMHR

I would like to budget for say £30-41 . 30cm would be a better lengthz (1ft) which it looks like I may need to import I'd rather not and the cable looks worse 

Thanks Wamm!

edit: I found nothing from Snake or SSSnake I did find one from Cordial for EUR 10.70 (each one). There's this pro snake the wire looks useless.

Edited by Millennium

I’ve always purchased from this lot: https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product-category/speaker/powered-active-speaker-cables/xlr-to-xlr-powered-active-speaker-cables/

Reliable & well made. I love the XLR termination but I doubt there’ll be a sound difference over such short distances. It may sound better due to higher voltages & beings louder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, aswillman said:

I’ve always purchased from this lot: https://custom-lynx.co.uk/product-category/speaker/powered-active-speaker-cables/xlr-to-xlr-powered-active-speaker-cables/

Reliable & well made. I love the XLR termination but I doubt there’ll be a sound difference over such short distances. It may sound better due to higher voltages & beings louder!

Thanks! I did email (well web contact form - eughrz) them about 2 hours ago for a quote. I hope they reply!

Edited by Millennium
On 07/10/2018 at 07:20, Millennium said:

Hi there

My newly acquired upgraded Teac UD-H01 has XLR output and my Primare A30.1 has dual XLR inputs per channel.

I've been using a short pure silver RCA cable from my DACs which I acquire many ears ago. I was wondering, should I upgrade to XLR? I like the pro nature of XLR and have never used XLR before so I may just give it a try.

Any suggestions for a source for cheap but good XLR cables which would compare to pure silver RCA interconnects? I have found these on ebay which look promising for budget XLR:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50cm-Premium-XLR-Male-Plug-to-2-XLR-Female-Jack-Mic-Microphone-Audio-Cable-Cord/232120757418?hash=item360b79acaa:g:nNUAAOSwT2NavMHR

I would like to budget for say £30-41 . 30cm would be a better lengthz (1ft) which it looks like I may need to import I'd rather not and the cable looks worse 

Thanks Wamm!

edit: I found nothing from Snake or SSSnake I did find one from Cordial for EUR 10.70 (each one). There's this pro snake the wire looks useless.

Apologies for this and I could well be wrong but I was puzzled as to why you would need four XLR connectors for just right and left . I do not think you do . The Primare has two seperate inputs for XLR each ie a single stereo pair and either can be used. This would let you connect two source items CD Player , Phono Input etc with XLR outs and switch between them . You only need a single pair of XLR cables from the Teac L and R to one of the Primare inputs L and R to get a stereo output . So you do not need to order a special cable just a standard pair .

Edited by bencat
  • Like 1

Any music shop will have a decent enough cable for trying it out, and they won't be expensive. Yes I'm into cables, but I find balanced a lot less fussy than single ended. You can always go 'special' if you like what it does.

10 hours ago, bencat said:

Apologies for this and I could well be wrong but I was puzzled as to why you would need four XLR connectors for just right and left . I do not think you do . The Primare has two seperate inputs for XLR each ie a single stereo pair and either can be used. This would let you connect two source items CD Player , Phono Input etc with XLR outs and switch between them . You only need a single pair of XLR cables from the Teac L and R to one of the Primare inputs L and R to get a stereo output . So you do not need to order a special cable just a standard pair .

Actually Ben I think you are correct! Custom-Lynx replied in goot time still thanks it does seem that I like I can buy a standard cable (not sure the teac dac is as good as the topping though...!)

B1 and B2 inputs on the Primare.

Thanks yous!

Probably go for two of these though I have misplaced my previous silver RCA pair and waiting for another in the post (looks like it's still in HK).

Edited by Millennium
17 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

Any music shop will have a decent enough cable for trying it out, and they won't be expensive. Yes I'm into cables, but I find balanced a lot less fussy than single ended. You can always go 'special' if you like what it does.

@TheFlash and I did a bit XLR cable testing yesterday because he has ATC SCM40A active speakers which only have XLR input and I have Pass Labs power amps which also have XLR inputs. TheFlash brought round some Canare L-4E6S star quad cable which he bought made up with XLR both ends. I think he paid £70 for a pair of 5m cables. It wasn't at all bad for the price. We then tried some XLR terminated that I had made using Canare 12G cable. The bass was firmer and less 'woolly' and with slightly more top end detail.

The point is that we could hear clear differences so it would be worth @Millennium hearing a few cables to see if there is any difference with the Teac.

24 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

@TheFlash and I did a bit XLR cable testing yesterday because he has ATC SCM40A active speakers which only have XLR input and I have Pass Labs power amps which also have XLR inputs. TheFlash brought round some Canare L-4E6S star quad cable which he bought made up with XLR both ends. I think he paid £70 for a pair of 5m cables. It wasn't at all bad for the price. We then tried some XLR terminated that I had made using Canare 12G cable. The bass was firmer and less 'woolly' and with slightly more top end detail.

The point is that we could hear clear differences so it would be worth @Millennium hearing a few cables to see if there is any difference with the Teac.

...and I'm not surprised. A lot will depend on whether or not the two items being connected are properly balanced or not. There are all sorts of shenanigans that go on in different manufacturers XLR inputs/outputs, from fully balanced electronics throughout to just the hot and ground being connected. In my experience if both ends are properly balanced then the cable is less important (but not unimportant). If the cable is not as balanced as it might appear (cough) then it's the same as using unbalanced, and cable is more of a factor.

As the OP has a good unbalanced cable he could be chasing fairy dust with the XLR, or it could be a big improvement. Hence my comment of having a go with a decent but inexpensive microphone cable, and if it's promising then investigate something better. Putting it out there as an option.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

...and I'm not surprised. A lot will depend on whether or not the two items being connected are properly balanced or not. There are all sorts of shenanigans that go on in different manufacturers XLR inputs/outputs, from fully balanced electronics throughout to just the hot and ground being connected. In my experience if both ends are properly balanced then the cable is less important (but not unimportant). If the cable is not as balanced as it might appear (cough) then it's the same as using unbalanced, and cable is more of a factor.

As the OP has a good unbalanced cable he could be chasing fairy dust with the XLR, or it could be a big improvement. Hence my comment of having a go with a decent but inexpensive microphone cable, and if it's promising then investigate something better. Putting it out there as an option.

Agreed about what you say.

The systems we were using are fully and properly balanced at both ends.

Thanks for the help peoples!

I wonder, what gauge of copper cable would be more conductive than say a 2*0.8mm silver RCA interconnect, assuming the same length and perfect connectors?

I appreciate that I could do this maths, it seems a valuable contribution to the Wamm if someone could let me know. Perhaps 2*1.0 mm diameter copper (let's say good copper not necessarily OFC+) (rather than radius)

Edited by Millennium
Guest chris217
6 hours ago, Millennium said:

Thanks for the help peoples!

I wonder, what gauge of copper cable would be more conductive than say a 2*0.8mm silver RCA interconnect, assuming the same length and perfect connectors?

I appreciate that I could do this maths, it seems a valuable contribution to the Wamm if someone could let me know. Perhaps 2*1.0 mm diameter copper (let's say good copper not necessarily OFC+) (rather than radius)

It is of no consequence. The resistance of the cable will be negligible compared with the input resistance - probably something in excess of a million to one.

Okay now. What's the best way to reduce input resistance? Locking silver connectors never removed? Perhaps lightly gold plated silver? I am new to XLR if you could suggest a good XLR connector (and I would assume they have less ohm s) I would appreciate the Wam!

Neutrik make good ones. I have no idea what they’re made of though.

7C3C38AC-AA34-4459-85EE-3545446F8B97.jpeg.e8076a8d00f7978b5cf7011eb321f519.jpeg

I use these, however I order direct from designcables but there website is closed due to maintenance. They also sell on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APFEEZW/?coliid=I2G70SMR4EJGB8&colid=DHMRI4HZOSZL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it