Music Bee

Linn Forums Old Topics

Sorry to put it bluntly but you have to move on the linn forums was yesterday’s news it’s finished us lot from what hifi had to get used to a new home :) so make wam your new home like we did  .

You could start up your own forums if your totally dedicated to the brand but this is a mixed brand site with meany interesting subjects if you give it a chance and willing to make the change but totally understand what it’s like to lose a forum that you have liked and invested a lot of time in . :)

• Upvote 1

I joined the Linn forum back when the DS was running on Bute. There was a lot to learn in the early days regarding networks, NAS drives, ripping, etc. Without the forum I would never have heard of DBPoweramp, Minimserver, fixed IP addresses, etc. The music recommendations were also good up until a couple of years ago. Recently Paulssurrounds SO posts where a big help in tweaking space. And of course there was always Briain (why give a short answer when a long really interesting and informative answer is more entertaining). Not sure how new owners of Linn DS/DSM are going to get the most out of their systems without the forum, but all I can say is RIP the Linn Forum. The king is dead.....long live the Wam.

Bill.

im so disheartened art the closure of the linn forum. i am glad i got to hear some sound advice from some of the more active members who helped me get back again into a linn setup after almost 23 years.....

i don't remember their names (well timster i remember ) but if such a new person like me can miss that forum i wonder how it has impacted all of you that have been on it for longer.

meanwhile if anyone remembers my setup is still being built, slowly but steadily....

at present Linn Unidisc Sc >>>> c3200 >>>> k400 >>>> Keilidhs (all black interconnects). Just found a deal on a C5100 and waiting to close a deal on a pair of maple Ninka's and a trikan. if all works out then the ninka's will run active (lets hope i find some cards) and if space allows it then the keilidhs will remain passive as rear surrounds (or my younger brother will steal them away)

Edited by zee9
  • Like 1

Wow. I never thought I was so memorable! :nuts:

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Welcom to the Wam you lot.  Where have you been all these years?    ;)

On 12/10/2018 at 22:30, Billz said:

I joined the Linn forum back when the DS was running on Bute. There was a lot to learn in the early days regarding networks, NAS drives, ripping, etc. Without the forum I would never have heard of DBPoweramp, Minimserver, fixed IP addresses, etc. The music recommendations were also good up until a couple of years ago. Recently Paulssurrounds SO posts where a big help in tweaking space. And of course there was always Briain (why give a short answer when a long really interesting and informative answer is more entertaining). Not sure how new owners of Linn DS/DSM are going to get the most out of their systems without the forum, but all I can say is RIP the Linn Forum. The king is dead.....long live the Wam.

Bill.

Same for me. I am still running my original Sneaky DS. Without the help of the forum I doubt I’d have stuck with it. The forum with the aid of some very patient members got me to a stable setup and also showed me how to install custom trees on Twonky.  I am sure the Brian you mention above was one of my main helpers.

Topics such as custom twonky trees were reference articles and if they have gone and are not to transcribed here, then that is an act of Internet vandalism. And a very strange one for a company that built a reputation on supporting older equipment (like Naim).

As far as I am aware the same network topology is required to set up your NAS etc and while Linn may expect you dealer to sort this out that is not appropriate for everyone or those buying second hand so a great resource looks to have vanished.

The reason I came here today and registered is I thought from Linn’s email the intention was to transfer the forums across and I am looking for alternative control points for iPad and I know there were threads on that.  

How disappointing to find that is not the case.

• Upvote 1

Linn deliberately decides to cut the talk to his community of customers,

I am a frustrated customer who can not easily find answers to my problems and have lost time sharing my knowledge.

Fortunately, I am a free client to go elsewhere, to those who listen to their customers and leave them free to 
express themselves and share their knowledge. Those who upgrade their products at the request of their customers,
and who do not ostrich when a technology pleases the customer but does not please internally.

The customer is king, but not for Linn apparently. Farewell.

On 15/01/2019 at 17:50, CableTie said:

Same for me. I am still running my original Sneaky DS. Without the help of the forum I doubt I’d have stuck with it. The forum with the aid of some very patient members got me to a stable setup and also showed me how to install custom trees on Twonky.  I am sure the Brian you mention above was one of my main helpers.

Topics such as custom twonky trees were reference articles and if they have gone and are not to transcribed here, then that is an act of Internet vandalism. And a very strange one for a company that built a reputation on supporting older equipment (like Naim).

As far as I am aware the same network topology is required to set up your NAS etc and while Linn may expect you dealer to sort this out that is not appropriate for everyone or those buying second hand so a great resource looks to have vanished.

The reason I came here today and registered is I thought from Linn’s email the intention was to transfer the forums across and I am looking for alternative control points for iPad and I know there were threads on that.  

How disappointing to find that is not the case.

CABLETIE..............The LINN DS INDEX page...................pages seem OK............sadly 300+ pages to slog through as the SEARCH FACILITY will not work I assume.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160326032026/http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=3&page=303

I really miss the old forum. And i hope to see old topics