Sign in to follow this  
ben

MAXELL REEL TO REEL TAPES

I am clearing out some of my coveted collection of R2R tapes and am offering a selection of rare MAXELL quarter inch tapes. These were extremely popular and highly desirable due to their dynamic sound reproduction, so these days they are quite rare, unless you are willing to import. All on 7 inch plastic reels, most of them have had very little use, if any!

Two types are being offered.

On left of photo, a selection of Mastering tapes. These are priced at £18 each

On the right of photo, the Professional series at £12 each

p&p at cost

DDDB5896-72D3-4007-A064-9D2FE8097411.jpeg

P1060070.JPG

Edited by ben

10 minutes ago, ben said:

I am clearing out some of my coveted collection of R2R tapes and am offering a selection of rare MAXELL tapes. These were extremely popular and highly desirable due to their dynamic sound reproduction, so these days they are quite rare, unless you are willing to import. All on 7 inch plastic reels, most of them have had very little use, if any!

Two types are being offered.

On left of photo, a selection of Mastering tapes. These are Priced at £20 each

On the right of photo, the Professional series at £15 each

p&p at cost

DDDB5896-72D3-4007-A064-9D2FE8097411.jpeg

Can't get the pictures to load Ben.

@ben PM'd you

I would imagine mastering would be the 'ultimate' studio quality, whereas pro would be for everyday high quality recording.

Smaller number is tape thickness and larger number approx. length of recording capability in minutes

Edited by ben

What tape lengths are left Ben?

Cheers for that Ben, sorry,  but a couple more questions,  what speed are the tape lengths calculated on? My Tascam only does 7.5 and 15 ips. I assume the longer tapes are calculated at 3.75 ips and the 90s at 7.5?

And are the longer tapes suitable for higher speeds?

Sorry for the Spanish inquisition,  I got burned badly on some tapes on ebay recently so just want to be sure about what I might be buying 

Hi Rob,

According to the info on the boxes, the 18-180's give 192 mins - both direction @ 7.5 ips (18 micron total thickness) and the 25-120 give 128 mins - both direction @ 7.5 ips  (25 micron thickness)

I always take the lower figures in their title as a guide, but have never used these particular tapes to check accuracy. I generally use 10 inch spools on my rig.

Yes thinner tape/more on spool/suitable for faster recordings

The 18-80 are 1100m and the 25-120 are 740m in length

Edited by ben
  • Like 1

I'll have the 120s & 180s for now mate, and I'll take the chance that the mastering 90s are still available next payday... 

Let me know the total inc postage and PayPal details by pm and I'll pm my address once I've paid. It might take me a couple of days to pay because of creative accountancy and SWMBO avoidance reasons...

Btw, the top left tape (gold box) is an EE, doesn't that require a deck with an  EE setting? Sort of like the R2R version of a chrome?

Edited by Rob998
Idiocy, unsurprisingly.

Yes, the one Mastering tape on the top of the left pile with the gold box, is indeed a XL11, which does require a player with tape selector position EE

Pm on it's way Rob

• Like 1

And responded to.B|