ian917

Pass Lab

11 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

What is better than a XA30.8?  Why, two of them in the form of a pair of XA60.8. :D

Greedy....:D....I am only jealous and you are keeping the elctricity industry in business.

I've also been very fortunate to mate up a Pass Labs XP12 preamp to my xa30.8, and it's a damn fine preamp, and together they make beautiful music!!

https://www.passlabs.com/preamplifier/xp-12

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 11/10/2019 at 08:09, George 47 said:

Greedy....:D....I am only jealous and you are keeping the elctricity industry in business.

George, did you get the new preamp and if so how are you getting on with it?

Errr which one o.O The XP22??

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, George 47 said:

Errr which one o.O The XP22??

I don't know. You brought one when you came to my house ages ago and I thought you were going to try the newer one. But like I say, it was ages ago.

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I don't know. You brought one when you came to my house ages ago and I thought you were going to try the newer one. But like I say, it was ages ago.

Ah yes I eventually got hold of the new Pass Labs XP22. I was going to write a review about it but there were 'technical issues' so did not. Anyway it is quite a jump up in sound quality. It has a much more 3D soundstage, better and deeper bass whilst having a more even frequency response. It uses 2 boxes with the PSU separated by a much beefier cable than the XP20. In fact, I was so impressed I traded up and bought it. People in the US said it got very close to the XP30. Pass Labs had real problems trying to update the XP30 and nothing happened on that front for a lot of time. However, I have just heard that there will be an XP32 which gets close to the Xs. Can't say I want to go there as the price gets eye-watering; it is pretty high as it is. Although a lot of people believe Pass prices are closer to what it costs than what the market will bear. 

What a numpty!!! I did write it and it was issued after a bit of clearing up of problems. I was going to issue it under a pseudonym but did not need to. Phew too much beer last night.

Edited by George 47
  • Like 1

Great , well let us know how it goes when you have had a good chance to listen to it

Will do. 

This is a sound upgrade on my cabin on Orcas Island, out on the Salish Sea.  Currently using a Sonos Port, Rega DAC, Elex-R and a turntable station consisting of a new Rega Planar 6, Ania MC and Rega Aria phono stage.

I am adding a Linn Majik DSM, the Pass XP-20 and a Bryston 4BSTT-2. 

We just arrived for the Holidays. Should be fun incorporating the new kit!!!

Cheers,

Max

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 2

Like an idiot I forgot to bring the Linn DSM. Just too much packing craziness for the holidays! But the Pass and Bryson sound amazing, even with a Sonos Port and Rega DAC as the front end source. The SQ, especially at lower volumes, sounds simply wonderful...

Edited by PhotoMax

the best looking amp I've ever had was a Pass X150. :x

R5otY5h.jpg

In many ways I enjoyed the sound, but ultimately it was too relaxed dynamically for me.

I do now have a Pass DIY aleph-M amp, sold by Taiwan-based Vintage Audio Lab.
20wpc pure class A, and the chassis gets too hot to keep your hand on.

s-l1600.jpg

I must confess that I prefer it to the big X150 [now moved on], it's distinctly snappier in its presentation.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 08/04/2020 at 08:31, JANDL100 said:

the best looking amp I've ever had was a Pass X150. :x

R5otY5h.jpg

In many ways I enjoyed the sound, but ultimately it was too relaxed dynamically for me.

That’s how I felt about the XA point 5 series amps. The point 8 amps are much faster and tight in their sound. 

Pass designed Noir Headphone amp and B1 Kork Pre, both DIY from DIYaudio

I also have a Pass ACA power amp and the M2X which replaced my Copland CSA29 in my main system.

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.900948f9766713d8f3be54aafd3b7de2.JPG