Alfa Romeo

6 hours ago, Carrington said:

Not sure exactly which model you have but this site might be interesting - https://www.cats2u.co.uk/1504-156#/type-catalytic_converter

Thanks for the link. I looked on there and it doesn't mention 2.0 JTS only 1.6, 1.8, 2.4 (which is a diesel version) & 3.2

11 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Oh dear, oh dear....

Well, the engine is fine, however he's checked the rest of the car and it's a sick puppy. The rear shocks are starting to rust and will need replacing before the next MOT in September. There's slight surface rust on the floor pans, that needs to be eliminated before the MOT. The big cockoo... and I mean really big cockoo is the catalytic converters needs replacing before the MOT. They are uber expensive. Do I spend another grand or so to get it back to A1 condition or look for another Alfa? 

With us Alfa nuts, logic goes out of the window. I could go for a Giulietta but a good 1750 TBI costs in the region of 10-16k.

German or fast Fords don't do it for me anymore. If you own a fast Ford you've been involved in a ram raid.

Really don't know.

Bad news PP. With cars of this age you either have to commit to invest with no chance of return or out it and end up with someone else's problem car. I don't own an Alfa but do have an ageing Bora TDI which is worth next to nothing on the used market but is worth far more to me personally as it has never ever let me down and continues to run like clockwork. Personally, I've opted to throw money at it to keep it going, usual things: tyres, cambelt, clutch, suspension, exhaust, two front wings, plus a new steering rack required at next MOT.

The way I look at it is if it starts costing more than it's worth each year to keep it on the road that will be the time I'll start looking for something newer. It hasn't reached that point yet but the new clutch almost ticked that box :)

Edited by DougK

15 hours ago, DougK said:

Bad news PP. With cars of this age you either have to commit to invest with no chance of return or out it and end up with someone else's problem car. I don't own an Alfa but do have an ageing Bora TDI which is worth next to nothing on the used market but is worth far more to me personally as it has never ever let me down and continues to run like clockwork. Personally, I've opted to throw money at it to keep it going, usual things: tyres, cambelt, clutch, suspension, exhaust, two front wings, plus a new steering rack required at next MOT.

The way I look at it is if it starts costing more than it's worth each year to keep it on the road that will be the time I'll start looking for something newer. It hasn't reached that point yet but the new clutch almost ticked that box :)

Couldn't agree more, Doug. As mentioned before if you get hooked on the brand you see them thru rose-tinted glasses -- it's hard act to follow in terms of pure driving experience. And the rarity of my particular car makes it hard to take a decision. I have until September to decide.

Still waiting to hear. The owner was MOTing cars all morning, so might not get it back until Monday. Meantime he's given me a Mito diesel... it's dreadful to drive. Even if with the DNA modes, in dynamic mode it still coughs and splutters. It's nasty. The only Alfa I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. Orrible. 

• Like 2

They phoned me at 1755 hours, when they close at 1800. So can't pick it up until Monday. Over the weekend have to put up with a miserable piece s##t, or known as a Mito.

Cost £855 incl. Vat.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

\o/

Got the car back on Monday and what a revelation compared to the Mito. How Alfa went pear shaped on their Mini version, it's puzzling. The 156 is more fun to drive, responds quicker, more refined... you don't really know what you have and how good until you try something different.

We’ve a Stelvio in at the moment for various sound upgrades, it has to be the worst built car since the last Tesla we had in.

On 26/03/2021 at 21:49, Shakey_Studioincar said:

We’ve a Stelvio in at the moment for various sound upgrades, it has to be the worst built car since the last Tesla we had in.

Compared to what? my 156 has real leather steering wheel, gear knob and Momo seats. Okay so the plastics aren't quite up to German standards but they're not shabby or cheap either. There's no nasty rattles and they are a hoot to drive. Not bad for a 16-year old car.

8 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Compared to what? my 156 has real leather steering wheel, gear knob and Momo seats. Okay so the plastics aren't quite up to German standards but they're not shabby or cheap either. There's no nasty rattles and they are a hoot to drive. Not bad for a 16-year old car.

I would say it’s around SEAT level of build. I’m familiar with the 156 etc, they put a lot more effort in back then. I’m disappointed with how this Stelvio is built, it feels like a mix of cheap japanese blended with Ford, not what I expect from Alfa.

Maybe the coupes/4c etc are built better, but then they should really carry their build through their lines. Like Mercedes for instance. 

I have quite a unique expertise in automotive interior build and I feel the Stelvio is way off par for its ticket.

3 hours ago, Shakey_Studioincar said:

I would say it’s around SEAT level of build. I’m familiar with the 156 etc, they put a lot more effort in back then. I’m disappointed with how this Stelvio is built, it feels like a mix of cheap japanese blended with Ford, not what I expect from Alfa.

Maybe the coupes/4c etc are built better, but then they should really carry their build through their lines. Like Mercedes for instance. 

I have quite a unique expertise in automotive interior build and I feel the Stelvio is way off par for its ticket.

A few years ago I blagged a test drive of the new Giulia Veloce. The overall quality is very good, however, the seats seemed like a penny-pinching note. Otherwise, the overall build quality was very good.

I've owned several Alfas since 2006, incl 159 1750 TBI - one of the best engines Alfa have produced for about 30 years, and the basic engine fitted to the 4c with a few tweaks - but the 159 was too heavy because of all the extra toys. Compared to the 156 it felt like it was lumbering around the corners.

Think Alfa, when it came to the Giulia and Stelvio, were trying to balance build quality with performance, which they achieved with the Giulia IMHO.

• 6 months later...

Last week I put the Alfa through the car wash. First time it's been cleaned for months. For a unmolested, totally original car it looks stunning. Next time I'll have to polish it.

Alfa in high street (2).jpg

@plasticpenguinLooking good for a 15 year old car - a polish and wax would make it gleam even more!

17 minutes ago, thewestfield said:

@plasticpenguinLooking good for a 15 year old car - a polish and wax would make it gleam even more!

Cheers. Yes, for a car that's done nearly 100k miles, hasn't missed a beat engine wise in the 4 years of ownership. No signs of rust either.

Edited by plasticpenguin

22 minutes ago, DougK said:

Lazy bugger, you should have hand washed it PP 🙂

The irony is since its been washed it hasn't stopped raining. Typical.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed it MOT in Sept. The only advisory was a the offside headlight milky. No big deal but it has bugged me every time I look at it.

Not sure the best way to get back it's natural gleam. There is a headlight cleaner by Turtle Wax for £7.00 or for about £30 there's a pack of discs/grinding paste that you fit to a drill. Either one would be cheaper than a replacement headlight.

Has anyone used any of the above?