Streamer upgrade

12 minutes ago, oldius said:

I thought that's what it did. Luddite that I am becoming, I would not pay for a service that just allows me to have my CD collection and my Spotify linking together. I quite like going to two shelves, metaphorically speaking!

My wife has this hate/ hate relationship with computers. One app on a pad is just but only just, acceptable. Roon cracks that. If she had to go to a laptop, pick a streaming service, then pick what to play, I would be picking the laptop up from the garden. When I balance out the options roon does not seem too expensive ūüėä

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as you are delivering bit perfect data to your dac, then the streamer will not make the slightest difference. Keith

Luddy ell, I made a mistake and looked at one of your blocked posts. I shall not make that mistake again. 

My wife has this hate/ hate relationship with computers. One app on a pad is just but only just, acceptable. Roon cracks that. If she had to go to a laptop, pick a streaming service, then pick what to

15 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

My wife has this hate/ hate relationship with computers. One app on a pad is just but only just, acceptable. Roon cracks that. If she had to go to a laptop, pick a streaming service, then pick what to play, I would be picking the laptop up from the garden. When I balance out the options roon does not seem too expensive ūüėä

The issue I have with Roon it appears that I would have to boot up my Mac or leave it on 24 hours a day to listen to music whereas now I just fire up my main system and stream music using the Naim App from my NAS. The App also integrates Spotify, Tidal and Internet radio and has a direct link to the Rovi database for endless background data about the album and musicians (which I rarely access tbh). Its not perfect but reasonably good. I think new hardware from Naim may be Roon integrated but I'd need and additional 'processing' unit powered up with my current equipment which I'm not in a hurry to change.

Edited by Sumdumgi
1 hour ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

I had a look at a Linn streamer this year because i was told if you want a good streamer then the linn is the one to go for but felt it didn't sound much different to my little Yamaha wxc50 does  .

"If" that is me you are referring to, then that is not quite what I said.....which was, that it was worth demoing, as IME it's a very decent bit of kit - but only consider it, if it gave a worthwhile improvement over your current source. This is something that is best done at home, with enough time to properly assess it, in a familiar room/system.

Edited by CnoEvil

I stopped using my SOTM SMS-200 purely as I have gone back to a Mac 'n' DAC.  It is a really good bit of kit though as a Roon Endpoint.  My Mac acted as a Roon server for it (controlled by an iPad).

I think, in answer to the OP, that is an option as is a RPi (which I also have).  No sound quality differences but the Eunhasu on the SOTM is more user friendly and is able to emulate other things like Airplay.

29 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

The issue I have with Roon it appears that I would have to boot up my Mac or leave it on 24 hours a day to listen to music whereas now I just fire up my main system and stream music using the Naim App from my NAS. The App also integrates Spotify, Tidal and Internet radio and has a direct link to the Rovi database for endless background data about the album and musicians (which I rarely access tbh). Its not perfect but reasonably good. I think new hardware from Naim may be Roon integrated but I'd need and additional 'processing' unit powered up with my current equipment which I'm not in a hurry to change.

Yes, the computer carrying roon has to be running. It's not something that matters in my case. It's my fax machine, ansaphone, and serving film, and documents etc up both to the house and mobiles. It also serves a couple of other roon endpoints, and does something silly with voip.  

33 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

"If" that is me you are referring to, then that is not quite what I said.....which was, that it was worth demoing, as IME it's a very decent bit of kit - but only consider it, if it gave a worthwhile improvement over your current source. This is something that is best done at home, with enough time to properly assess it, in a familiar room/system.

i didn't say names CnoEvil  but as you have owned up :P i am not one for telling anyway as you no i hard one on a demo and not at home which at the time i felt i could not hear much of a difference with what i have now so did not bother asking for a home demo 

23 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

i didn't say names CnoEvil  but as you have owned up :P i am not one for telling anyway as you no i hard one on a demo and not at home which at the time i felt i could not hear much of a difference with what i have now so did not bother asking for a home demo 

I have no problem being named - and will only make suggestions. Decisions are for people spending the money, based on what they hear.

14 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I have no problem being named - and will only make suggestions. Decisions are for people spending the money, based on what they hear.

Your the resident making people spend their money spender on here :P

HGNjJdn.jpg

Edited by Blacksabbath25
43 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

Yes, the computer carrying roon has to be running. It's not something that matters in my case. It's my fax machine, ansaphone, and serving film, and documents etc up both to the house and mobiles. It also serves a couple of other roon endpoints, and does something silly with voip.  

Thanks. We have a couple of desktops (MAC and PC), a laptop and a home network with the NAS containing the household music and photography libraries. I could easily leave one of the machines on to facilitate Roon but having another machine in the music chain isn’t something I think I would sign up to.

3 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Thanks. We have a couple of desktops (MAC and PC), a laptop and a home network with the NAS containing the household music and photography libraries. I could easily leave one of the machines on to facilitate Roon but having another machine in the music chain isn’t something I think I would sign up to.

roon will run on some NAS boxes, but I don't know how well. I use roon for ease of use, but the Tidal MQA thing is pissing me off at the minute. I could just as easily live with LMS, but other household residents  are not keen.

Edited by dudywoxer
1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

Is it working alright now?

Boy iam born lucky...and must be loved by the lord :)

I can't hear a difference between streamers or dac's. I mean not by much. I enjoy reading reviews, where that little fly of an improvement is made out to be an elephant. No wonder audio reviewers are a sought after bunch. Not everyone can write 500 words on a difference,  that can be best explained in one word. For that price difference,  I would get a better cable anyday :D

• Like 1
On 24/10/2018 at 20:17, PuritéAudio said:

But only if your dac is heroically poorly designed.

Keith

These exist. If we think of all of the incompetent people that we have to deal with in all of our professional lives, bad designers exist in roughly the same proportion. 

There are geniuses too but some of the kit we buy is rubbish. 

Well I can only speak for my self, and yes I did hear a difference between my M Audio Dac to my Oppo 105EU to my current Chord 2 qute  dac.   The 2 qute dac is quite easy to differentiate from all the dacs I've used so far.

Edited by Nativebon
  • Like 1