moved house, new set up totally lost bass - FOUND IT.

p2an

1 hour ago, p2an said:

well we are both architects so she's pretty good at predicted space, predicting sound - that's seems even harder :)

I knew you were going to say that... :D

• 1 month later...

So during the Christmas break i did try the speakers in front of the window. So much better, now the bass is as good as before if not better. So glad i didn't settle on the previous placement.

typical Floorplan copy05.jpg

44 minutes ago, tuga said:

Good job! :^

And your wife didn't object?

amazingly she was ok with it. I'm as surprised about that as I am in the improvement in sound. I always thought you should fire speakers down the long side of a space.

This will teach me never to assume anything about speaker placement (or women)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

so everything is perfect now, and this is how the room looks. Now i'm not complaining as I have my bass back but isn't it weird that this placement the speakers have no side reinforcement at all but the bass sounds so much better and goes lower.

39669437003_0cdd2b8bd0_k.jpg

• Like 1

It is a bit odd as bass tends to go straight out of the window.  But there you go, experimenting is the best way of finding the right position. In my room I have very little choice, I have to have them on the long wall, but they work fine.

Bass below 80Hz is omnidirectional so goes everywhere, I would have thought there would have been more reinforcement from the wall on the left, you could confirm by acoustic measurement, which would also help you find the ‘best’,least compromised spot for the speakers and your listening seat.

Keith

1 hour ago, p2an said:

isn't it weird that this placement the speakers have no side reinforcement at all but the bass sounds so much better and goes lower.

Room modes produce cancelation as well as peak at particular frequencies.

A different location of the speakers and of the listener in relation to walls and floor will cause different acoustic problems (different frequencies and magnitude).

5 hours ago, p2an said:

so everything is perfect now, and this is how the room looks. Now i'm not complaining as I have my bass back but isn't it weird that this placement the speakers have no side reinforcement at all but the bass sounds so much better and goes lower.

39669437003_0cdd2b8bd0_k.jpg

They look to have heavy toe-in which is exactly as I have my LV’s - they image so well like this. Can’t help but think that at least a couple of feet further apart would improve things further, did you try?

31 minutes ago, lostwin said:

They look to have heavy toe-in which is exactly as I have my LV’s - they image so well like this. Can’t help but think that at least a couple of feet further apart would improve things further, did you try?

still playing with the distance apart and toe-in, just overjoyed that i found my bass :)

• Like 1

• p2an changed the title to moved house, new set up totally lost bass - FOUND IT.
20 minutes ago, p2an said:

still playing with the distance apart and toe-in, just overjoyed that i found my bass :)

Absolutely, the relief you have compared to your initial post is very encouraging.

Thanks also for reporting back, too many threads start with a cry for help, a great response from forum members and then silence. It’s good to get the follow up and hear that the advice has had a positive impact.

17 hours ago, lostwin said:

Absolutely, the relief you have compared to your initial post is very encouraging.

Thanks also for reporting back, too many threads start with a cry for help, a great response from forum members and then silence. It’s good to get the follow up and hear that the advice has had a positive impact.

yes, i was keen to let the WAM know how things turned out.
Its a funny hobby hifi, makes you happy as can be when its sounding good and then despair when things aren't right. Not to be melodramatic but it was affecting how i viewed the purchase of our new place. So all things good, I can now start to think about holding a bake-off. Never done one before, so i better read up on some previous reports. I'm in South London (Dulwich)

• Like 1