montanari

proac 1sc or d1

I love my 1SCs.  I bought them second hand last year, having heard B&Ws, Neats, ATCs, Spendors, Totems, Linns,  Proac Tablettes (forget which ones though not the 10) and Studio 118s.  Though I didn’t hear the D1 or DB1, I found both the other newer Proac models had quite an etched treble that for me got wearing even in a short demo.  

To my ears the 1SCs are more detailed, more fun, sweeter and, to use a cliché, less hi fi sounding than any of the others.  They have impressive bass for their size, though it doesn’t go very deep - the lowest notes of some of my electronic music are missing.  The mid bass also gets boomy if badly placed.  In my room, due to lack of space, they are about 12 inches from the front wall and I’ve used EQ in Audirvana to tame the resulting boom - this has worked very well, though more space behind would probably work better.  Heavy stands are also a must, they were disappointing on lightweight cheap jobs.  Toe-in also needed experimentation, and I got the best results with the tweeter axis crossing just in front of me.   

I found equipment must be carefully matched.  In my room I suffered excessive brightness and dryness using a Linn streamer/pre and Nord Class D power.  Switching to a Chord 2Qute and Croft amps was a big improvement.  

All the tweaking was worth it.  They sound sublime with well recorded music.  Solo vocals and instruments in particular are just beautiful.  They love my piano jazz and violin concertos, and exhilirate with techno.

In short, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with 1SCs.    

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

I love my 1SCs.  I bought them second hand last year, having heard B&Ws, Neats, ATCs, Spendors, Totems, Linns,  Proac Tablettes (forget which ones though not the 10) and Studio 118s.  Though I didn’t hear the D1 or DB1, I found both the other newer Proac models had quite an etched treble that for me got wearing even in a short demo.  

To my ears the 1SCs are more detailed, more fun, sweeter and, to use a cliché, less hi fi sounding than any of the others.  They have impressive bass for their size, though it doesn’t go very deep - the lowest notes of some of my electronic music are missing.  The mid bass also gets boomy if badly placed.  In my room, due to lack of space, they are about 12 inches from the front wall and I’ve used EQ in Audirvana to tame the resulting boom - this has worked very well, though more space behind would probably work better.  Heavy stands are also a must, they were disappointing on lightweight cheap jobs.  Toe-in also needed experimentation, and I got the best results with the tweeter axis crossing just in front of me.   

I found equipment must be carefully matched.  In my room I suffered excessive brightness and dryness using a Linn streamer/pre and Nord Class D power.  Switching to a Chord 2Qute and Croft amps was a big improvement.  

All the tweaking was worth it.  They sound sublime with well recorded music.  Solo vocals and instruments in particular are just beautiful.  They love my piano jazz and violin concertos, and exhilirate with techno.

In short, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with 1SCs.    

Agreed with your thoughts on the 1sc, not screaming in your face hi-fi but they are very nuanced and detailed in their own way, instruments and vocals can be stunning and close to organic as I heard any speakers produce bar maybe an LS3/5A, so hi-fi they are but music first.   

1SCs in my system now for 20yrs. No need to say more.

I have a pair of 1-SC's bought about 9 years ago from the classifieds on here. Wouldn't swap them for anything else, definitely a keeper. The do seem to bend the laws of physics with the apparent base response. Mine still seem to be in good nick but I wonder about sending them to ProAc for a service & TLC.

12 minutes ago, ClassikFan said:

I have a pair of 1-SC's bought about 9 years ago from the classifieds on here. Wouldn't swap them for anything else, definitely a keeper. The do seem to bend the laws of physics with the apparent base response. Mine still seem to be in good nick but I wonder about sending them to ProAc for a service & TLC.

It'll probably cost you an arm and a leg, and if theyre working fine dont bother. Stuart T of ProAc even told me when I briefly spoke to him one time that he had a set of 30+ year old speakers and never touched them, yet they still sounded as good as new. Just keep enjoying, if something goes wrong then fix it.

1SC's are becoming rare heirlooms these days as they are no longer in production, and there was just something that worked with that clear drive unit, they'll be up there selling for ridiculous prices soon like some of the LS3/5A's, over their value for what you're getting really. Especially as all LS3/5As are supposed to sound the same.

44 minutes ago, ClassikFan said:

Mine had to go in 2010 when I moved home and they didn’t work in the new space. I still miss what they were able to do. 

9 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

Mine had to go in 2010 when I moved home and they didn’t work in the new space. I still miss what they were able to do. 

I remember hearing yours at Scalford in the early days Henry! That's what led me to buying a pair for myself.  Your Tannoys are a of bit different scale, eh?

Yep I remember henry,s at scalford playing ..Sara k on vinyl...…… beautiful .

I am in a tiny room Stuart. The Tannoys allow me to hear into the mix, which is my focus now. The ProAcs wouldn’t work in the small room.

I have to dig Ms. K out now and have a play!