bencat

Why do i always seem to do this to myself

Super Wammer

I have already on a few threads about Quad 57 speakers made it clear that i intend to buy myself a pair . If any of you follow DIY threads you will also have seen that I have become very involved in a project to set up a pair of Monitor Audio 11 Monitors as a digitial active speaker. This has been great fun and has gone really well . So well in fact that I made a decision to seek out a set of KEF 103 (original 1975 era) which are my favourite current passive speaker and work on them as a new project to convert to Active with Digital crossovers.

Much to my surprise on PFM I have been offered two pairs and i am now just in the process of seeing which pair is the best so it looks like I have this sorted and can look forward to working on this very soon .

Then out of the blue after making an offer on a pair of Quad 57 units with stands at £150 under the asking price I find that this has been accepted. Now thrilled to have got a pair so quickly but right at this time with a new set of 103 due to turn up the issues with my wife will be very severe .

The Quad is going to mean a complete switch around of the Music Room to be able to get them installed and quite probably it will also mean fitting a vertical radiator to give more flat wall space . None of which is likely to go down too well .

Plus I now have my time and attention split between two systems that both really need full time focus. I think now would be a good time to consider retiring but think with brexit in view it amy well now not be till 2020 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

Presuming the question in your title is rhetorical so skipping right on by... 

Have you thought of just storing the Quads  away, focusing 100% on the 103’s until they’re done and dusted, then doing likewise with the Quads? As in prioritising marital harmony over unbridled excitement at having a new toy!? You boys and your toys 🙄.

What? Why would I want a mirror right now? Ah , I see...🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

Thanks Nigel , truthfully if I had anywhere that o could store the Quads I certainly would just so I could clear some spekers out first and then that at least gives me half a chance but sadly not a being a man with either a shed or a Garage I have a problem . One solution I am looking to employ is to get the Quads to a man who can service and check them over and see if they need any work . This should at least give me about two weeks grace but after that I just have to bite the bullet .

Other issue is going to be when a have to put the quads in the Music room as they are not tiny little things with huge fashiable design factors . Rather they are big and wide . Going to have to think a bit laterally and see if they can beautified.

Super Wammer
44 minutes ago, bencat said:

Thanks Nigel , truthfully if I had anywhere that o could store the Quads I certainly would just so I could clear some spekers out first and then that at least gives me half a chance but sadly not a being a man with either a shed or a Garage I have a problem . One solution I am looking to employ is to get the Quads to a man who can service and check them over and see if they need any work . This should at least give me about two weeks grace but after that I just have to bite the bullet .

Other issue is going to be when a have to put the quads in the Music room as they are not tiny little things with huge fashiable design factors . Rather they are big and wide . Going to have to think a bit laterally and see if they can beautified.

I always think that the 57's look quite smart when the grilles have been covered with grille-cloth. Without it, they look like old radiators.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I remember how slick the 57s with the black grilles looked after becoming so used to the bronze originals!

Great finds, btw!

• Like 1

Seems like something has to give. One of your systems on hold or retirement. All I know is that this hobby is supposed to fun so when it becomes too stressful then we're not doing something correct. Honestly though, I've been there too. Changing and tweaking my system here and there, having fun on the merry-go-round. I wouldn't have it another way. :) 

The Quad 57's are amazing. This show room was some of the best sound I've ever heard. 

Super Wammer

Come without a little adrenalin how else do you know your still alive ? I do agree about the black fronts they do look so much better but sadly the ones ihave bought are the old brown.bronze colour.

Would really like to be able to take them off and give them to a student artist and let paint them with a Blade runner type cityscape on them but just not sure how to approach the local art colleges / unitversties to see what can be done .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Personal view is - sort the room for the Quads and leave the 103s on hold.  Then get a second pair of quads and stack them .. then in the full glory of stacked quads you will forget all about the 103s .. sorted .

As for the grills - slip them off and a can of black spray paint .. job done.  We did quite a few in my years with a nice powder black coating.

Edited by uzzy
Additional data
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Personal view is - sort the room for the Quads and leave the 103s on hold.  Then get a second pair of quads and stack them .. then in the full glory of stacked quads you will forget all about the 103s .. sorted .

As for the grills - slip them off and a can of black spray paint .. job done.  We did quite a few in my years with a nice powder black coating.

Nice advice Uzzy but my room is not anything like big enough for a single pair od Quads let alone stacked . I knowI could pint them black with a spray can but would like somehting a little different .

• Upvote 1

Hide them at a  friends place for the time being. I do it all the time. 

I take something already at home, and drop it there and get something back. And tell my wife it's a exchange  

• Like 1

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, bencat said:

Nice advice Uzzy but my room is not anything like big enough for a single pair od Quads let alone stacked . I knowI could pint them black with a spray can but would like somehting a little different .

Grille cloth is available in various colours. 

https://goo.gl/images/bk7bmx

Super Wammer

Well picked the Quads up today and my original plan was to take them to One Thing Audio and have them checked and see what needed doing. Well twenty seconds in to the first song played and that was forgotten .

For one these speakers were way better than either the description or the photos showed them to be . Thye appear to have been completely overhauled by One Thing Audio with evidence of new power supplies fitted to both speakers . The grills are in pristine condition as are the wooden end pieces . Instead of the dull brown finish these are gleaming copper .

Then there was the sound crystal clear , superb seperation realistic voice timbres and tuneful and powerful bass . Complete with stands that do exactly what i wantedthis was a bit of result . I consider myself very lucky. I now have to keep myself in check and get the music room sorted so that I can set them up .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Forgot to mention the seller used hos Krell (modernish unit with black front) to drive the Quads and it was pretty tasty , so my KSA50 should be just ideal as well . Just careful with that volume control .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1