radiant red

Kralk Audio TDB Range

Hi all

Apologies for jumping in here. I’m currently looking for new speakers and a new amp. Was thinking about the TDB-6’s. Listen to mainly acoustic music but some rock based too. Room is 7m x 4m. Would the 6’s be suitable please?

Also my budget re amplification is around £500. What would people suggest that would work well with the Kralks and offer a warm, detailed sound? I’m not after huge bass. 
Many thanks 

Ian

On 04/02/2020 at 17:16, Yanto said:

Hi all

Apologies for jumping in here. I’m currently looking for new speakers and a new amp. Was thinking about the TDB-6’s. Listen to mainly acoustic music but some rock based too. Room is 7m x 4m. Would the 6’s be suitable please?

Also my budget re amplification is around £500. What would people suggest that would work well with the Kralks and offer a warm, detailed sound? I’m not after huge bass. 
Many thanks 

Ian

I am using TDB-6 in 22m2 room with excellent result.  Teac AX-501is good match, 25w A amp xa25 from Pass labs is working even better. I think that valve amps will work excellently too. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

1 hour ago, mentt said:

I am using TDB-6 in 22m2 room with excellent result.  Teac AX-501is good match, 25w A amp xa25 from Pass labs is working even better. I think that valve amps will work excellently too. 

I was thinking about trying a Yaqin MC13-S funnily enough. Heard good things about them. Thanks very much for your help 

I would really love to try a valve amp with my TDB12's

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Where are you based? Consider contacting Alan at Kralk. He will have tried various types of amps and cables with his speaker design. Not familiar with the amp you have suggested but he does use Yaqin in his system. 
Given the fact that you haven’t yet got an amp, you are in the best position to get it right from the off. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Where are you based? Consider contacting Alan at Kralk. He will have tried various types of amps and cables with his speaker design. Not familiar with the amp you have suggested but he does use Yaqin in his system. 
Given the fact that you haven’t yet got an amp, you are in the best position to get it right from the off. 

Hi again 

I’m in North Wales. I’ve messaged Alan at Kralk briefly over the last few days.

I think the MC13-S is the cheapest in the Yaqin range at around £500. Great reviews though.

I’ve also been considering both the Rega Brio R and the Audiolab 6000a. Both available locally at about £549

Ian

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Yanto said:

Hi again 

I’m in North Wales. I’ve messaged Alan at Kralk briefly over the last few days.

I think the MC13-S is the cheapest in the Yaqin range at around £500. Great reviews though.

I’ve also been considering both the Rega Brio R and the Audiolab 6000a. Both available locally at about £549

Ian

Hi Ian 

it would be interesting to troll the web at used amps for £500. I used a Rega Elex-R with the 8’s but I felt the sound was too hard. Don’t get me wrong, the Rega is a great amp but didn’t gel with Kralk. It’s unlikely that the Brio will gel either but that’s my opinion obviously. Can’t speak for Audiolab tho.

choose non bright cables too. 

This Yamaha 801 is on offer at Peter Tyson for £579 and its where the Yamahas get interesting. Lots of options with it including a built in DAC. The lesser models sound generally average and compared to the model below it (701) it’s streets ahead on control with the extra power.

FE3CF953-5565-4BED-B983-8DCCD772F19C.jpeg

Edited by radiant red
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Hi Ian 

it would be interesting to troll the web at used amps for £500. I used a Rega Elex-R with the 8’s but I felt the sound was too hard. Don’t get me wrong, the Rega is a great amp but didn’t gel with Kralk. It’s unlikely that the Brio will gel either but that’s my opinion obviously. Can’t speak for Audiolab tho.

choose non bright cables too. 

This Yamaha 801 is on offer at Peter Tyson for £579 and its where the Yamahas get interesting. Lots of options with it including a built in DAC. The lesser models sound generally average and compared to the model below it (701) it’s streets ahead on control with the extra power.

FE3CF953-5565-4BED-B983-8DCCD772F19C.jpeg

Brightness is one thing I really dislike. I’m hoping for warmth and clarity. Room is 7m x 4m. Would be playing vinyl, cd and streaming Spotify. Mainly listening to classic rock, Americana, Folk, Blues. 
I saw a review of a Yamaha AS501 yesterday funnily enough. That 801 looks good value

Ian

Super Wammer

I wouldn’t say the Yamaha is laid back but definitely not harsh. Don’t forget if you ordered the speakers, you have them on a 21 day trial. Use QED 79 strand speaker cable for starters or some Van Damme because it’s cheap and won’t add anything to the sound 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I wouldn’t say the Yamaha is laid back but definitely not harsh. Don’t forget if you ordered the speakers, you have them on a 21 day trial. Use QED 79 strand speaker cable for starters or some Van Damme because it’s cheap and won’t add anything to the sound 

Thanks. I’m using Van Damme Blue Studio 2 x 2.5mm at the moment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yanto said:

Brightness is one thing I really dislike. I’m hoping for warmth and clarity. Room is 7m x 4m. Would be playing vinyl, cd and streaming Spotify. Mainly listening to classic rock, Americana, Folk, Blues. 
I saw a review of a Yamaha AS501 yesterday funnily enough. That 801 looks good value

Ian

TDB-6s have neutral sound signature so if you want warm sound you will need to get warm sounding amp/DAC.  Personally I don’t find Yamaha amps warm sounding ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mentt said:

TDB-6s have neutral sound signature so if you want warm sound you will need to get warm sounding amp/DAC.  Personally I don’t find Yamaha amps warm sounding ...

Thanks. Would you be able to suggest a warm sounding amp please? 

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Yanto said:

Thanks. Would you be able to suggest a warm sounding amp please? 

Yes, me too. Interested to know what system @mentt listened to the 801 in. Bearing in mind he thinks the Kralks are better than Harbeth 👍🏻