radiant red

Kralk Audio TDB Range

6 minutes ago, Yanto said:

Thanks. Would you be able to suggest a warm sounding amp please? 

In general valve amps are warm sounding.  NAD 388 is warm sounding and Teac 501 was warm sounding too. My pass labs xa25 is excellent match for  tdb-6, but is bit expensive. My suggestion is that when you will have tdb-6 at home contact some dealers and have couple of amps for home demo. And/or order amps from seller with returning policy and return ones that you don’t like...

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, mentt said:

In general valve amps are warm sounding.  

Absolute rubbish!! Have a listen to some Prima Luna amps... fast, dynamic and defy their valve origins. Speaker matching is paramount!

if the op has neither amp or speakers yet, he cannot listen to the Kralks in any shop.. 

Best option ins to go and see Alan in Wakefield and I’m sure he will accommodate best he can and advise accordingly 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Absolute rubbish!! Have a listen to some Prima Luna amps... fast, dynamic and defy their valve origins. Speaker matching is paramount!

if the op has neither amp or speakers yet, he cannot listen to the Kralks in any shop.. 

Best option ins to go and see Alan in Wakefield and I’m sure he will accommodate best he can and advise accordingly 

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to visit Alan to audition the speakers. I’ve spoken with him regarding the TDB6’s and he says in comparison to the TDB4’s the 6’s are not as quick or bright sounding, being probably more suitable for the music I like. So it’s probably a case of choosing a matching amp now in order to achieve that warm tone I’m after

• Like 1

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Yanto said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to visit Alan to audition the speakers. I’ve spoken with him regarding the TDB6’s and he says in comparison to the TDB4’s the 6’s are not as quick or bright sounding, being probably more suitable for the music I like. So it’s probably a case of choosing a matching amp now in order to achieve that warm tone I’m after

This will be because of the cabinet volume.. 

I think what you will need to do is pick a particular speaker model in your local dealer and then demo several amps on the same pair.. £500 is a difficult price generally new and second hand can offer so much more choice.. 

this is why I recommended the Yamaha because I’ve heard it in my set up when we chose it for my son. It’s a good all rounder at a good price. 
One thing for sure, if you do order the Kralks, you can have a 21 day demo 😜

Edited by radiant red
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

This will be because of the cabinet volume.. 

I think what you will need to do is pick a particular speaker model in your local dealer and then demo several amps on the same pair.. £500 is a difficult price generally new and second hand can offer so much more choice.. 

this is why I recommended the Yamaha because I’ve heard it in my set up when we chose it for my son. It’s a good all rounder at a good price. 
One thing for sure, if you do order the Kralks, you can have a 21 day demo 😜

You’re definitely correct re demoing. The Kralks still remain amongst the favourites but obviously I won’t be able to try those. In a perfect situation I’d be able to try amp and speakers in the same venue. But as you say I could order the TDB6’s and always return them. Don’t really like doing that as I feel it’s messing the manufacturers about, especially when it’s a smaller concern. If I decide to buy the Yaqin I certainly won’t be able to try that!

I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thanks 

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Yanto said:

You’re definitely correct re demoing. The Kralks still remain amongst the favourites but obviously I won’t be able to try those. In a perfect situation I’d be able to try amp and speakers in the same venue. But as you say I could order the TDB6’s and always return them. Don’t really like doing that as I feel it’s messing the manufacturers about, especially when it’s a smaller concern. If I decide to buy the Yaqin I certainly won’t be able to try that!

I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thanks 

Not a problem, most companies who do distant sale have to offer a return policy but as Kralk has no current outlets, it’s the best offer so do not think your messing him around. He would want them to work in your system otherwise what’s the point. 
my 8’s went back because I couldn’t cope with the hardness in the mids. We need to remember that these speakers your looking at are under £500 and the build quality is excellent. I went through a divorce and sold my Harbeths and thought the Kralks would partly fill the void but they didn’t and I blew the budget and got Harbeth again but at more than 4 times the price of the Kralks!

i wish you well on your quest and do let us know what you do 👍🏻

24 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Not a problem, most companies who do distant sale have to offer a return policy but as Kralk has no current outlets, it’s the best offer so do not think your messing him around. He would want them to work in your system otherwise what’s the point. 
my 8’s went back because I couldn’t cope with the hardness in the mids. We need to remember that these speakers your looking at are under £500 and the build quality is excellent. I went through a divorce and sold my Harbeths and thought the Kralks would partly fill the void but they didn’t and I blew the budget and got Harbeth again but at more than 4 times the price of the Kralks!

i wish you well on your quest and do let us know what you do 👍🏻

Oh I’ve no doubt about the build quality. Everything I’ve read points to them being excellent value for the money. I just want to try to get the amp and speakers that best suit my needs for my budget

Super Wammer

Might I suggest a slightly different route. 

Grab the speakers and by all means take them round dealers to audition amps. However, in the interim grab a cheap amp (one you won't really lose money on when you sell) something like a Denon A400/400X or Cambridge A1/3/5, 300/500/600 series. Also the earlier Stan Curtis's era P25/35 & 40 (don't bother with the newer Topaz AM amps they're crap) , at around £100 or less. You could also consider vintage Jap amps from the likes of Sony & Rotel, these would tide you over whilst you save additional funds which would then open you amp options further. 

Another 'Vintage' amp well worth sourcing (and hanging onto) is a Marantz PM4, gorgeous looking and sounding. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Might I suggest a slightly different route. 

Grab the speakers and by all means take them round dealers to audition amps. However, in the interim grab a cheap amp (one you won't really lose money on when you sell) something like a Denon A400/400X or Cambridge A1/3/5, 300/500/600 series. Also the earlier Stan Curtis's era P25/35 & 40 (don't bother with the newer Topaz AM amps they're crap) , at around £100 or less. You could also consider vintage Jap amps from the likes of Sony & Rotel, these would tide you over whilst you save additional funds which would then open you amp options further. 

Another 'Vintage' amp well worth sourcing (and hanging onto) is a Marantz PM4, gorgeous looking and sounding. 

Not a bad idea. A mate has offered to loan me another 70’s Sansui until I get sorted

On 22/12/2019 at 18:55, CliveD said:

To AmpMan

If you’re anywhere near Bristol you’re welcome to pop over and listen to my TDB6s. I really like them on the end of my Denon PMA2500NE with a Sony CDP and Aries Mini attached. 

Hi Clive, I live in Bristol and having almost finished this stream and several related before would love to have a listen sometime if you're up for it.

EDIT: Having now completed the thread and been on the Kralk site and others reading comments... mmmm, I am very interested... A pair of 6's look highly interesting although I'm not keen on shooting blind.

Does anyone live near-ish to me with a set that wouldn't mind me dropping by sometime for a listen?

Edited by Amormusic

Presumably folks have seen the tb12 in the classifieds?

I live in Teesside and have TDB12's if you would like to hear a pair

On 27/02/2020 at 21:07, Amormusic said:

Hi Clive, I live in Bristol and having almost finished this stream and several related before would love to have a listen sometime if you're up for it.

EDIT: Having now completed the thread and been on the Kralk site and others reading comments... mmmm, I am very interested... A pair of 6's look highly interesting although I'm not keen on shooting blind.

Does anyone live near-ish to me with a set that wouldn't mind me dropping by sometime for a listen?

Did you get my pm? 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 06:13, Aristillus said:

I live in Teesside and have TDB12's if you would like to hear a pair

Thanks. But a bit far for me.

On 29/02/2020 at 14:48, CliveD said:

Did you get my pm? 

Just logged in Clive. Nice one will reply now...