Klimax 350 Passive

Highfly

I'm currently using 242's with current Solo's through a Klimax DSM with Kat. I'm considering moving up to 350's passive.

Has anybody gone this route and if so, what are your thoughts? I don't plan on going Exact at any point.

I've always been curious about some of the Sonus Faber speakers although I've never had anything other than Linn. Is anyone familiar with Sonus Faber and Linn amps?

Hi

I’ve heard 242s, 350s and (as I own them), Akubariks on Solos. My personal preference (and that’s all it is) would be that moving from 242s, staying passive, Akubariks would be a better match than 350s.

I’ve yet to hear passive 350s sound as good as I think they should for the price, but have heard 242s and Akubariks sound very nice indeed. 

Mick

• Upvote 1

I agree with MickC.

It depends on how big your room is and the kind of sound you are looking for.

The 350's will give you more slam and a greater feeling of being at a live concert. The Akubariks are an outstanding speaker to listen to.

I have a preference and own the Katalyst Akubariks, which have outstanding sound quality as well, but give a different sound scape, that is very musical and listenable. They also fit my budget.

I think you will find them both highly acceptable, depending on your preference for presentation, budget and WAF.

For that kind of money, an audition is a must.

I believe that Kantata Audio in Belfast has a mint condition pair of passive Akubariks for sale?

https://www.kantata-audio.co.uk

Edited by Paulssurround

I also agree with Mick and Paul, passive Akubariks are the way to go. Several friends have been disppointed with the 350's. Even better: find a pair of used Komris. Even with just one pair of Solos, they really shine with a good source.

• Upvote 1

I cannot advise on the Linn speakers, but I would encourage you to hear a few other makes if you can.  You’ve mentioned Sonus Faber, and as a former owner for over twenty years I’ve very rarely disliked anything they've made.  They all look fabulous too.

Anything you can audition, such as KEF, Spendor, Harbeth, PMC, ATC and ProAc among the more popular brands.  There are of course countless more. ATC also make several active versions.  

Welcome, and let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the advice guys. My worry with the Akubariks is that it might not be enough of a jump from the 242's, as I don't plan on upgrading speakers for a long time. Not out of the question though.

I do plan on listening to what I can but there's not a lot available on Canada's east coast, Sonus Faber and Spendor are only a four hour drive, so I will get to check them out.

Edited by Highfly
  • Like 1

Komris would be great! Not likely to find them here though. 

1 hour ago, Highfly said:

Thanks for the advice guys. My worry with the Akubariks is that it might not be enough of a jump from the 242's, as I don't plan on upgrading speakers for a long time. Not out of the question though.

Paul, your fellow Canadian albeit that he is in Vancouver, gets it just right in my book. Like Paul, I have Akubariks and I certainly don't ever see myself changing them for 350s. But then my listening space is quite small, and the 350s are certainly more suitable for bigger rooms. That said, the 350s don't seem to have gained the affection generally accorded to both the 242s and the Akubariks. Komris too are much loved (until you try to lift one), but they've been discontinued for so long that they'll be appearing in antique furniture shops pretty soon ... :)

Speakers are of course very much a matter of personal preference, which makes unqualified advice difficult, but I'd say that the Akubariks are the natural upgrade path from the 242s. The extra 25Hz or so you get at the bottom end is actually quite a big deal in terms of of presence and tonal balance.

David

• Like 1

Thank you David.

I really like the 242’s, and there are some fine sounding ones here in Vancouver, owned by a friend, tweaked, SO and massaged, driven by Solos.

My favourite 242’s reside in Seattle, and they sound superb. The owner has taken great care to optimize SO, cleaner power supply, and excellent room acoustic treatment.

One of the guys in Ireland upgraded from passive 242’s to  passive Akubariks, using Exaktboxes, Twin, and 4200’s.The Akubariks with the same front end as the 242’s were a massive improvement in sound quality in his previous 242 system.  😊👍🏻

I'm certainly not regretting my upgrade from 242's to Akubariks. The difference is bigger than you might think.

• 4 months later...

I  have been able to listen to active Akubariks and the subsequent upgrade to 350's over a long period and in my opinion the 350's trounce the Akubariks in every way, period.

They may share the some drive units, but the sense of space, perspective and authority conveyed by the 350's is awe inspiring, It must be said that whilst everything is improved, on a small minority of recordings the improvement is marginal, so one would have question the upgrade. But for the vast majority of recordings the upgrade is hugely audible.

For example, the track "Istra", on the album "Anatomical Venus", by Black Moth was pretty much unplayable with Akubariks, but very satisfying with the 350's.

Also, "Long time gone", by the Dixie Chicks showed a massive improvement.

To us, it seems as if the Akubariks are trying too hard, whereas the 350's were taking everything in their stride.

Thanks for your input on the Wendy. I've already upgraded my speakers since I posted my questions but I'm probably not the only one wondering about the differences. 

I recently made my first non Linn purchase in over 30 years with a pair of SF Amati Traditions. Now I can't afford to even think about changing speakers for a long time!

By the way, the Amati's sound great with the Linn gear. I had demo'd them with Naim electronics and to my ears they sound much better with the Linn, although I acknowledge it's with different acoustics.

6 hours ago, Highfly said:

Thanks for your input on the Wendy. I've already upgraded my speakers since I posted my questions but I'm probably not the only one wondering about the differences. 

I recently made my first non Linn purchase in over 30 years with a pair of SF Amati Traditions. Now I can't afford to even think about changing speakers for a long time!

By the way, the Amati's sound great with the Linn gear. I had demo'd them with Naim electronics and to my ears they sound much better with the Linn, although I acknowledge it's with different acoustics.

I’m sure you’ll be delighted. I loved mine for literally decades; they’re keepers!

18 hours ago, Highfly said:

I agree. Linn + SF seem to go so well together. I have had this combo for about 9 years - first Cremona M and then Amati Futura. Driven by 4 Solos (passive bi-amped). I first went down this route based on advice and auditioning at my (then) local dealer in Dubai. Having said all of this, I am still hankering after some Vivid Giya G2s or G3s...

• Like 1