Cheltenham NH Festival 2019

Non-Smoking Man

Champion Hurdle ..

Bitter pill for me to swallow with Espoir D'Allen winning as my Champion Hurdle investments centred round Saldier who everyone has said would have beaten Espoir D if it hadnt fallen at the last  last time out. I had £19 at prices ranging from 44 to 110 to win £1093 . Ricci and Mullins chose to run Sharja instead of mine.

Day one finished for me. Place pot was down after the first race. Had £10 win on hardline also down the swanny. Got three places in my lucky 15 though. So £26 spent in total, roughly £25 won. Can't complain. 

Lucky 15 selection was 

Fakir D'Oudaires 4th

Us and Them  2nd (Cheers NSM)

Veranda Blue 5th :-( 

Stormy Ireland 2nd 

Doubt I'll get a bet on tomorrow as I'm in meetings all afternoon. 

OLBG Mares Hurdle...

Unfortunately Ruby falls at the last with a race at his mercy. But its happened b4 - rather too many times - and its now nearly a hoodoo. (Somewhere in this thread I mention the jockey's propensity for last fence fallers - you cant count your money till he gets over the last.)

I couldnt fancy Stormy Ireland after the eclipse of Laurina ( to whom we were runner up), but the mare ran and jumped well. Another second for me...

Close Brothers 2.5m handicap chase for novices..

Rachel Blackmore gets a winner on the board with A Plus Tard, who waltzes away with a tight handicap. This pays Winter Escape a compliment (Jan13, Punchestown).

The authorities have announced an 8 00 a.m., course inspection re impeding high winds. If its too dangerous the entire day's card will take place on Saturday.

I have a feeling they may do this because they will be petrified if the wind causes injuries. So, I have had a couple of extra bets on horses that may benefit from the drier ground likely on Saturday.

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

NH Chase...

Carnage, as only 4 finish - 4 miles in soft ground is too much to ask of novices the vast majority of whom havent been further than 3 miles in  their short careers. I laid OK Corral.

COUNTY HURDLE 2M

Whilst we are waiting for the result of the 8 00 a.m. inspection I have been working hard on the scraps of value that are left after the bookies have shortened up everything in sight in order to offer attractive e.w. deals ( 7 places etc..). Its a con of course.

The County field is dull, dull, dull. And this is great news because the form is generally average. All we need is something that has a close up effort in a comparable race that has escaped attention..

Lets look at the market leaders:

Mr Adjudicator will attract interest having run up to Espoir D'Allen, the new champion hurdler. The speed expert in the Post gives that race a low score. I backed it in the Triumph last year. Possibilities.

Whiskey Sour - Mullins trains (that's a plus); doesnt win many races; 3rd in last year's County (which hasnt worked out particularly well); held by Vision Des Flos.(SF64)

Southfield Stone - you might fancy this if Angels Breath had run better in the Supreme (SF70);

Winston C - contesting 6K races; may not get in;

Cut The Mustard - mare; up 9lbs for finishing second (58); (Paul Kielly's tip)

Chitibello - Skelton doing a 'Mohayedd' (coming here fresh and saving handicap mark); dangerous (SF73);

Leoncavallo - bits and pieces of decent form but cant beat Eclair De Beafeu and Uradel through Mortal;

Crooks Peak - raised in class and penalised (60);

Capitaine - won a 0-143, which is OK, but raised 6 lbs (57);

Monsieur Le Coq and Malaya - just depends what the Imperial Cup is worth...I havent done the times for the meeting because the form supplement comes tomorrow with rail movements etc; may come too soon for both and the former may not get in;

Uradel - ran in the Ladbroke and caught the eye of some pundits (not this one); problem is its in the Coral Cup and Martin Pipe as well; also its held by

Eclair De Beaufeu, who, apart from being a big problem for all the commentators lacking GCSE French, who finished 4th, one place ahead, in the £66K Ladbroke Hurdle run at Leopardstown on Feb 2nd. The Eclair returned a 75 then in that 0-148 and I think thats the hottest handicap providing runners in the County. At 19.5 I had to have a go; Gordon Elliot trains; Eclair is himself doubly engaged and could go for the Martin Pipe over further; should get in the race off 136 as 133 got in last year.

Selection ECLAIR DE BEAUFEU

(Racing goes ahead today..)

Eclair De Beaufeu not declared for the County, nor the Martin Pipe.

1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Eclair De Beaufeu not declared for the County, nor the Martin Pipe.

Wait a sec. - he's still in and jocked up. Mind you, Gordon Elliot cant buy a winner.

Ballymore..

Good win for the sponsor's horse, City Island, from a strong field. Trainer Harrington pointed this one up in the Racing Post preview. I liked the performance of the third, Bright Forecast. Jockey said the ground is much better than yesterday. Tony McCoy having a huge rant on ITV racing about the suspension of the amateurs in the NH Chase. Never seen him so irate 'worst decision I've ever seen in 25 years as a jockey'.

RSA..

Wonderful race! Super ride by Harry Cobden, who must be now considered one of the best currently riding . Big jump at the last and he had a willing partner in withstanding Santini. I laid Santini but he surprised me - a pb for Henderson's charge.

Result 1. Topofthegame 2. Santini, 3. Delta Work.

City Island ran 12.17 seconds faster than Samcro in 2018 which suggests the course is drying out quickly. Last year there was a hint of 'heavy' in the jockey's descriptions, so I estimate good/soft (soft in places) on the hurdles course.

Topofthegame ran 15 seconds faster than Presenting Percy (who was relatively slow last year).

Uradel, the Coral Cup jolly, could only manage 7th in a thrilling Coral Cup won by Henderson's William Henry, owned by Dai Walters (Al Dancer), from Wicklow Brave who came there cruising one out. The Limestone Lad  Grade 3 in Naas (Jan 27) isnt looking too shabby - 1. Espoir D'Allen, 2. Wicklow Brave 3. Tombstone (winner since). Has Uradel done enough to frank Eclair De Beaufeu? probably not.

Going on my time assessment the going may be drying out enough for the forgotten horse , Sceau Royal (a grade 1 winner with a speed figure of 90, close to Altior). Ive topped up with another £6 to win £178.

Altior 'finds a way to win' again (N. Luck, I think), though my Sceau Royal looked the winner coming to the last. Another super race I thought. There's a lot of guff spoken about Altior - 'won, but not as his best' blah, blah' - this is Altior's current form and he has run to this level of ability for some time according to my figures. I had 40 Sceau Royal b4 the off to £2. Incredible value.

All the paid up pundits made it Min clear second and the rest nowhere and someone on a RP postcast said 4/6 Min w/o Altior was value. Rubbish!

Time was 9 seconds faster than Altior took last year - which tells you about the going, not Altior's mark.

Cross Country - easy for Tiger Roll who gets Gordon Elliot off the mark.