rabski

Gordon Welford Pre

One of the hardest decisions ever, but a complete change of direction in all sorts of ways, so my deeply treasured Gordon Welford pre-amp is up for the taking.

This was originally designed and built by Gordon under the Dark Matter Audio Labs name, but Gordon designed and built for Audio Note. I have had some feedback from the man himself and he advises a few were made, but numbers are uncertain. This may be the very first one, but who knows. Cosmetically and aesthetically, it is not pretty. Looks OK in the rack, but has some general scrapes and marks and it’s finished in crackle black. Has assorted isolating feet stuck on, but these continually fall off. Even the famed badgers couldn’t make anything quite so ugly. Built like a tank mind you, and heavy for its size. Heavy is good.

Sonically it is something very special indeed. I have owned a Puresound L300 and an SJS Arcadia among others, and a Kondo M7, various Audio Notes and assorted other exotica have visited here. The Welford is right up there with them all. It lacks the Kondo ‘sheen’, but has possibly better-defined bass and an equally extended top end. And not just in my opinion, as it has caused quite a few ‘wow’ moments wherever it’s been. It simply vanishes, but in the best tube pre-amp fashion, it really does add something special whilst taking nothing away. As a massive bonus, it also has a really excellent MM phono stage built in.

The build is about as foo’d up as you can get and the internal quality is truly top class. Solid silver RCAs, cryo-treated silk-insulated silver wiring throughout the signal path, silver solder, Shinkoh tantalums in all critical locations, serious caps, etc. You name it, it probably has it. Two-box design. The power supply part has mains and HT stand-by switches. The business section was originally wired as dual mono, but this has now been changed to one volume pot and a source selector. The other knob does zilch. You could make this a balance control, but I never got round to it, plus I admit I’m superstitious about it and don’t want to touch it for fear of losing even 1% of its magic.

The power supply section has a Mullard rectifier. The business end has a pile of NOS JAN6072A tubes. Total of five inputs: four line, plus the separate phono. Captive cables for mains in and power supply. They never come up for sale and have a justifiably serious reputation. Mine came from within the Wigwam and I originally remember a discussion which consisted of me kneeling on someone’s throat and saying things like ‘if you ever sell it…’. Well, he eventually did, and by a rather odd route it eventually ended up here.

Can’t remember what I paid, nor can the original seller, but I think £1100 seems fair, putting it massively cheaper than any equivalent and allowing for its looks and probably a fair bit less than I paid. Collection and audition welcome. No boxes, but can package safely for shipping within the UK for a nominal £10. Absolutely no overseas shipping/purchase unless discussed and agreed. Heartbreak here guaranteed. First option for buy-back insisted on. Make your rack look ugly, but treat your ears to an incredible experience. Kettering, East Midlands.

welford.jpg

You have pm mate. I’ll take this

No PM recceived yet. Please send again or sort out.

Just sent 

£10 won't insure this in the post, you might want to consider cover.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

£10 won't insure this in the post, you might want to consider cover.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'll cover the difference.

I'd much prefer collection in person.

Royal mail special delivery is a good bet for something of that size. £750 cover included...

Probably sold, subject to the usual 'if they actually pay' stuff.

This is one I will probably regret forever. Needs must.

Wow, never thought you’d sell this Richard. I’m sure there’s already a reserve list but I’d be very pleased to buy this should the deal fall through for any reason. 

Super Wammer

I have one of Gordon's very old pre-amps (possibly a prototype) that needs sevicing. Anybody know Gordeon's current contact deatils?

If so please PM me.

Thanks, neil

Edited by volante

On 19/11/2018 at 14:19, volante said:

I have one of Gordon's very old pre-amps (possibly a prototype) that needs sevicing. Anybody know Gordeon's current contact deatils?

If so please PM me.

Thanks, neil

take it to David Coe (Juancho on Wam) if you are in London, he's wimbledon based

Super Wammer

Thanks Adam

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:19, volante said:

If so please PM me.

Thanks, neil

If you are having difficulty in contacting Gordon I can ask him if its ok for you to contact directly. Does he know you as Gordon is very selective in his contacts etc. He is a good mate of mine and lives nearby.

Regards

Brian