Sign in to follow this  
Carrington

Beaujolais Nouveau :-)

Anyone else had a bottle? Bought a couple from Waitrose today, Beaujolais and it's various Crus are some of my favourite reds along with a Chateauneuf du Pape, Chiroubles being my favourite. Anyway, as I said, I got a couple of this year's and have consumed a fair amount so far :) and whilst I appreciate being so young, it's never going to be great, but I enjoy the ceremony and look forward to the release each year. Not great to start with, it definitely needs opening well in advance and preferably decanting, but it does have a fresh, light and fruity flavour albeit with a bit of an after taste. I enjoyed mine with a few slices of a spicy and smoky chorizo :)

Enjoy!

I did try the Nouveau back in the 80's when I was just starting to get interested in wine , the race to get the first bottle was well publicised back then , I'm not a fan of the taste.

Chateauneuf du Pape is too strong for me these days , I seem to spend all my time turning bottles of red wine around to read the alcoholic strength , 12.5% is what I search for , Bordeaux usually obliges .

• Upvote 1

I don't usually drink wine but beaujolais is very nice..

Chateauneuf du Pape is a favourite of mine, and I always used to get the Beaujolais Nouveau but you don’t see it too ofter round here these days.

I also used to drink it back in the '80s but concluded that it was all too often the triumph of style over substance - average to piss poor young red wine passed off as something chic and fashionable. I like the Beaujolais wines, but they really need a bit more age on them to be worth drinking.

I had a bottle recently (Waitrose and M&S seem to offer it each year) and it was much the same, a little challenging on the tastebuds but I get suckered in every time 9_9. A bit more age definitely makes a big difference with Beaujolais and every year there seems to be more and better choice. Louis Jadot's Quincie goes down rather well.

• Upvote 1