Sign in to follow this  
DB1328

Akurate vs Klimax Radikal

Who heard both. Is here anybody who upgraded from  Akurate to Klimax Radikal cause of sound improvement? I have got the possibility to do this upgrade for small additional costs. Thanks

I moved from the original Majik style case Radikal to Klimax. Well worth it, even though it was a pricey upgrade. If it won’t cost you much it’s a no brainer really.

Mick

Much discussion of this on the ex-forum.

The early consensus was there was no difference. Then at some point (maybe due to a manufacturing tweak, or more likely, people doing A/B comparisons) the KR was regarded as significantly better.

Either way, as MickC says it's a no-brainer for small additional cost. (I did the swap and thought it very worthwhile despite expense).

Edited by pirov

6 minutes ago, DB1328 said:

What do you think is a small aditional cost? 😉

It's all relative isn't it (cost of upgrade relative to value of system) - you described the additional cost as 'small', so in your terms it's a no-brainer.   :D

• Like 1

For a small cost, I wouldn’t hesitate. I happen to be in Japan at the moment. Over here, there’s a distinction between the Radikal (Klimax case), and the Radikal AK (Akurate case). Also, the Radikal AK equipped Akurate LP12 is known as the “Akurate LP12 SE.” So it seems that the sonic difference is acknowledged. 

Edited by akamatsu
Added info.

My experience is that with the more recent units (since the Dynamik) the Klimax is a worthwhile upgrade, especially if you are getting it for less than the normal price difference.  With the first units pre-Dynamik I did a direct A/B at the store and found the difference miniscule.  But after hearing a couple of people with ears I generally trust saying it was indeed a bit better, like Colin at What You See And Here who I converse with every few months, I bought one for myself and it was a definite improvement, although not a huge one as some dealers claim.  I want to do a really thorough comparison to be absolutely sure how much difference there is but I have now compared my Klimax unit, which has had the internal torques optimized, to three different Akurate units, also with torques optimized, and the Klimax has always been a significant improvement.  The last time I did the comparison a friend of mine was there and he immediately ordered a Klimax Radikal and had me sell his Akurate one.  He has been quite pleased with the improvement in the system.

In trying to figure out why the Klimax would be better I wanted to do a comparison where I swapped the electronics so that unit to unit variation of the boards could be accounted for, but I haven't had the time to do that yet.  There are, however, two interesting differences between the two units besides the case itself.  One is that the main board has seven holes that can be used to attach it to the case but all seven are never used.  On the Akurate five of the holes are used but on the Klimax only three are and two of the three are different from the ones used on the Akurate!  So they share only one mounting point, which is the one right behind the connectors, a place where you need that strength.  The other difference is that the Klimax has the boards (both main and Dynamik PSU) mounted to the top whereas the Akurate has the main board mounted to the bottom and the PSU to the side.  So the boards in the Klimax are upside down.

This lead me to a little experiment where I tried the Akurate and the Klimax both right side up and upside down.  The ranking at the house was Klimax right side up, Akurate upside down, Klimax upside down and Akurate right side up.  This was the listening session where my friend made the decision to buy the Klimax.  I made clips of the four variations and posted them on the Lejonklou forum a few months ago, not telling people what they were listening to.  Everybody chose the right side up Akurate as the worst, people generally found there was something not quite right about the upside down Klimax.  Most preferred the Klimax right side up, as we did in the room, but some liked the Akurate upside down just as much.  I used a spare set of the rubber parts of the Linn Klimax and Akurate feet to set the units on when upside down to minimize any difference the feet would make.

So my suggestion to those who stay with the Akurate Radikal is to flip it upside down with some rubber feet and see what you think.  Several of my customers are now using theirs that way.  You can order the rubber parts of the Klimax feet from a Linn dealer if you want to be official about it and they are relatively cheap (about $10US a set).  

I found what really makes a significant difference to the Akurate Radikal D is placing some excellent isolation feet under it. Much bigger difference than flipping it upside down! In my system, I use three Harmonix footers under the case and make sure the stock feet don’t touch anything.

Edited by Daveyf

I wonder if, considering the upgrade path, Klimax Radikal comes before Keel/Ekos ...

M.

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I wonder if, considering the upgrade path, Klimax Radikal comes before Keel/Ekos ...

It's a good question. If you don't yet have a Radikal of any kind and can afford the Klimax version, the answer surely has to be "yes". If you already have the Akurate Radikal and a Kore, the decision is more nuanced, and will depend to some extent on what arm/cartridge you plan to replace. One option in those circumstances is to upgrade the Radikal, stick with the Kore and get a third party arm, such as the Javelin. Decisions of that kind can really only be made sensibly after listening tests at one of the few dealers who have the capability to offer comparative demonstrations.

David

Now, i can only say.....wow.

It‘s such a big difference, i never thought this could be. 😊🎶

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DB1328 said:

Now, i can only say.....wow.

It‘s such a big difference, i never thought this could be. 😊🎶

Interesting ...

could you shortly describe the differences?

M.

I can't really explain. More details and more foot tapping. It's more accurate. 

Simply better. 

At the moment, i think the upgrade from Radikal Akurate to the Klimax version is nearly as big as the upgrade from Akito 2b to Ekos SE/1. That‘s absolutely unbelievable, cause at the same time i upgraded Kore to Ekos, too. I think the reason is the better shielding of the Klimax Radikal and the Dynamik power supply inside, for the LP 12 motor and the Urika 2. My AEDSM is sounding much better with a cheap Furman Power Conditioner, too.

9 minutes ago, DB1328 said:

At the moment, i think the upgrade from Radikal Akurate to the Klimax version is nearly as big as the upgrade from Akito 2b to Ekos SE/1. That‘s absolutely unbelievable, cause at the same time i upgraded Kore to Ekos, too. I think the reason is the better shielding of the Klimax Radikal and the Dynamik power supply inside, for the LP 12 motor and the Urika 2. My AEDSM is sounding much better with a cheap Furman Power Conditioner, too.

I don't mean to divert the thread but would you tell us which cheap Furman power conditioner you are using please.

Sign in to follow this