redmcq

Advice on AMP DAC for HD650 Cans

Hello All,

I have bought a set of Sennheiser HD650 for my son for Christmas.  At the moment he is living in student residence studying classical guitar at the Royal Academy.  He has a Mac Book Pro and a Samsung phone to deliver music.  Can anyone advise me on a DAC/AMP combo for up to £200 max.  Everything keeps returning to Chord Mojo but its just too much cash.  Could be a desk top or portable.

So far looked at.

Oppo HA-2SE

Schiit Fulla 2

And loads of other leads and youtube videos and only one that grabbed me was OPPO HA-2SE.

Any advice welcome.  Refine sound out of PC and just headphone amp?

For a budget offering you could do worse than looking at a topping d50.  

Audio quest dragon fly red/black red is better about £150/160 new 

Super Wammer

As something that is likely to be used for only a limited time I understand you not wanting to spend the sums needed for the Chord . I think the below is not the very best but is a very good both DAC and Headphone Amp and could work well for your uses .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSICAL-FIDELITY-V90-HPA-Headphone-Amplifier-with-USB-DAC/362495050224?hash=item54666381f0:g:Z9kAAOSwaPpb-uym:rk:32:pf:0

A second hand Marantz NA7004 network player would fit the bill normally around £230 these were £700 when they came out competent  dac section and  headphone out works well enough with the hd650.

Or if your son is happy to use a trs to rca connector from phone or pc to an amp then the OTL DarkVoice 336SE headphone amplifier is just within your budget lots of positive comments on this pairing onine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DarkVoice-336SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-neat-technics-headphone-amp/630928527.html

How about something from the Fiio range? Very portable and excellent sound quality, I've got the Alpen E17 and it goes everywhere with me. 

I noticed this listing in the classified section 

A Topping DX3 Pro would be a good option. Includes APT-X Bluetooth.

It’s got all the connectivity you need, and works with USB to Go (for the android phone). It can act as a straight DAC (line out) as well as a pre-amp (variable out).

Edited by twinpot