Sign in to follow this  
Vinyl Heart

Shipping a Linn Sondek LP12

Hi. I am considering selling my LP12, but I am nervous about shipping. I don't have original packaging. Is it possible to ship this turntable safely? If so, can anyone offer advice about how to prepare and package for shipping? Thank you!

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

Although it seems a lot to pack it properly, compared with the hassle of claims and damage it’s worth it.

And a nice box looks good on eBay! 

Ditto .

Source the correct packaging .

[It  would be possible  to fabricate appropriate packaging... but it would be a heck of a faff and would require that you be100% clued up on the requirements and really know what  you're doing .  

Many of us will have seen more than a few shipping disasters over the years...and that's often when folks do have the right packaging ....but don't use it correctly.

Edited by Smokestack

I have shipped a few LP12's and other turntables with my own packing and have received compliments on the packaging. First of all you need to use double thick cardboard boxes. I then line all six sides internally with 1/8 inch plywood, then lined again with 2 inch polystyrene. The tonearm is obviously removed and packed in foam within it's own double thick cardboard box. The outer platter obviously goes in the bottom of the box and then covered with 1 inch poly. The turntable chassis is then stabilised with soft poly (the type used for packing plates etc) between the chassis and the top plate. Cap the bearing or remove the oil, or both. The turntable is then wrapped in sheets of soft poly and then cling wrapped. I then make a housing (six sides) from 2 inch soft foam which then sits snugly in the poly lined box. then cover with a 1 inch sheet of poly on which you can place the inner platter (housed in three layers of 2 inch foam and taped together. Then add the boxed tonearm and fill the gaps with layers of 1 inch poly. The end result is a box 24" x 24" x 18 and weighs about 40 lbs. It is important that there is no movement internally. Pack it nice and tight and lots of good quality tape to seal it up. The 2 inch foam surrounded by the poly will do the trick. Obviously end up a bigger box than the original LP12 box. It takes me nearly 4 hours to pack up an LP12 for shipping.

Good luck...

On 03/12/2018 at 07:22, Nopiano said:

Although it seems a lot to pack it properly, compared with the hassle of claims and damage it’s worth it.

And a nice box looks good on eBay! 

Buyer will pay it. I would. Give buyer the choice. If they decline and there’s a problem shame but your off the hook 👍🏼

or follow Mikiwa’s advice. I was thinking one box inside another too but with bubble wrap between them. Or send platters in a second package. If they came loose would cause most damage due to weight. Lid is biggest headache. 

Edited by EbbandFlow

Kinda scary when you thi

On 02/12/2018 at 15:20, Nopiano said:

You can buy the packaging for a whopping £85. 

When you consider this material (cardboard box, styrofoam packing) would cost the manufacturer under a quid, somebody's making out here!

5 minutes ago, sktn77a said:

When you consider this material (cardboard box, styrofoam packing) would cost the manufacturer under a quid, somebody's making out here!

I'm not trying to justify the price,but it is worth bearing in mind that, with an item of this kind, the major part of the cost is not in producing the item (which is special to type), but in holding it in inventory. As Linn does everything through dealers, there will also be a dealer mark up as well.

David

Not to mention that a few pieces of custom molded styrofoam packing made in relatively smallish numbers (as in not tens of thousands) isn't going to be as cheap as you might first think.  Also don't forget that Linn has to ship the mostly empty box to the dealer.  Now in the UK that might not be that big a deal.  But here UPS and FedEx like to charge by dimensional weight which means they are going to treat it like it weighs 35 lbs regardless of how light it is.  Then Linn ships to the US FedEx 2 day air.  If you order above a certain amount the freight is free, but obviously not to them.  You can bet that we only order a box and packing when we have enough other stuff for free freight.  So these costs have to be figured in as well.

Considering the costs of double thick cardboard boxes, plywood, polystyrene, bubble wrap and the time involved to make sure it is all right and the fact that the box is likely to end up even larger, so costing more to ship, I'm not sure there is a lot of savings.  Another consideration is that UPS in the US will not accept electronic equipment for shipping from normal people that isn't in original manufacturer cartons.  And if you are a dealer like us and ship in non-manufacturer carton and something is broken they will fight you on the insurance.  Sometimes they will fight you even with a manufacturers carton!

So "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

Sign in to follow this