Trouble and strife

Room acoustics apps!!??

Hi was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good apps for  checking room acoustics. We appear to have a bass null?? Help please 

You could try a spectrum analyser & a white noise generator, play the white noise & walk around the room with the SA till you find the dip, then using a function generator try to find the frequency. It will almost certainly correspond to one of the dimensions of the room.

A null is when bass frequencies cancel out, they cannot be fixed by boosting that frequency, it will still cancel.

Answer is to move the speakers or move the listening chair.

Super Dealer

A usb microphone and REW software,

keith

That's fantastic as long as I can rectify the null with moving speakers or chair I'm happy. I do hear more/tighter bass at various locations in the room. 

We have looked for the REW app as I believe it was free. Is it still avaliable as an app.

Super Dealer

There will be cancellations and reinforcements of frequencies throughout the room, what makes you think you are sitting in a null?

Have you done anything so far to determine the frequency , online room mode calculator or signal generator ?

Keith

Evening Keith, 

I think there are nulls in some of the lower freq at my current listening position, because when I walk around these freq raise in volume.

i have not yet measured any the sound hence asking which app would best for doing this, is there a free app that you would recommend.

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Trouble and strife said:

Evening Keith, 

I think there are nulls in some of the lower freq at my current listening position, because when I walk around these freq raise in volume.

i have not yet measured any the sound hence asking which app would best for doing this, is there a free app that you would recommend.

That sounds more like you are walking into a peak...   It’ll be interesting to see what you measure!

Edited by Nopiano

Super Dealer

REW isn’t exactly an app you need a laptop to run it and a microphone , but if you really want to understand what is going on, then I thoroughly recommend it .

Keith

Super Wammer

If you are interested the REW download is explained here you have to sign up to an AV forum site and then you can download . I have used REW for two projects in turning passive speakers in to active ones and it works well .

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Many thanks for the above link, will look at downloading it tomorrow.

We are relatively new to hifi, and have enjoyed the merry go round of trying things, and just feel the room and speaker listening position has been neglected. I know it should really be one of the first things to address, but situation hasn't allowed.

hopefuly I will find out if I have any peaks or nulls in the sound spectrum,  even just for interest sake. Plus it's always good to have something to be tinkering with in this hobby lol.

Super Wammer

10 hours ago, Trouble and strife said:

Many thanks for the above link, will look at downloading it tomorrow.

We are relatively new to hifi, and have enjoyed the merry go round of trying things, and just feel the room and speaker listening position has been neglected. I know it should really be one of the first things to address, but situation hasn't allowed.

hopefuly I will find out if I have any peaks or nulls in the sound spectrum,  even just for interest sake. Plus it's always good to have something to be tinkering with in this hobby lol.

I’m not new to Hifi but I am new to this tech, Lee from strictly stereo installed my demo pair of the amazing Dutch&Dutch  8c speakers last weekend using REW & a microphone. 

What is amazing about the 8c’s is that once the expert understands your room (lee, keith, etc...) then the speakers built in 24 filters dsp is programmed to deal with the issues. This bit was way outside my sphere of knowledge but the interrupting and then programming of the speakers means NO room treatment required. 

My demos 8c’s are sat just 20cm from the front wall and delivering an amazingly full  20hz @ 85db with zero distortion or boom.  They sound much, much bigger than their actual size which is a biggish stand mount (you’d need one hell of a sturdy shelf to call them book shelf!)

The whole process has really made me evaluate my decisions over the years when I’ve bought kit ‘hoping’ that it will match/work in my room and with other kit I already own. The 8c removes that guesswork and a boat load of boxes, wires and poorly spent purchase. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Nice one. They do appear to be rather special. I'm not sure calling them speakers, even active speakers, pays them their dues...

I expect an incoming "Like" from a certain Keith any time now!

Enjoy.

• Haha 1

Peaks are easier to deal with than nulls unless you are very flexible with chair and speaker positioning.

A peak can be brought down very precisely & quite easily with DSP (& acoustic treatment which can be more difficult with specific frequencies & widths - Qs) after accurate measurements whereas nulls don't really respond to DSP eq - by pouring more volume into a null, it often just makes the issue worse & the null deeper!

The best way to deal with a null is to firstly identify it (using the methods described in prior posts) & then alter physical positions, aided by some acoustic treatment if practical.

Edited by Drewan77

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Nice one. They do appear to be rather special. I'm not sure calling them speakers, even active speakers, pays them their dues...

I expect an incoming "Like" from a certain Keith any time now!

Enjoy.

In fairness to Keith I did contact him about hearing his 8c’s but he put me in touch with lee as he was nearer to me in Leeds. Very decent of him.

Banging the drum isn’t easy when the 8c’s are hard to define, that’s often the problem with new innovative design. 

Speakers, active speakers, all in ones.. £9k bargain!!!

• Like 1