Flac compression levels

timster

I've asked this on the dBPoeramp forum but wondered if anyone here knows the answer!

I have always used Lossless Uncompressed when ripping CDs or converting from WAV to FLAC.
dBPoweramp has options 0 (Fast) through to 8 (Highest) and Uncompressed as a separate option. So where does Uncompressed fit into the levels? I ask because I also use Audacity to record Vinyl - but this only gives the options 0 (Fastest) through to 8 (Best) (no Uncompressed).

I have mistakenly been using 8  in Audacity, thinking that was equivalent to uncompressed as it is labelled "Best" (well you would wouldn't you). But it is actually turning out to be around 30% compressed :(

Is uncompressed actually level 0?

I understand they’re all the same. Compression in this context means how much the file size is reduced, like winzip, and the full data is extracted when played.  Not the same as chucking away data you “can’t hear”, as mp3.

4 minutes ago, arturo said:

I understand they’re all the same. Compression in this context means how much the file size is reduced, like winzip, and the full data is extracted when played.  Not the same as chucking away data you “can’t hear”, as mp3.

Yes, but the unzipping is unnecessary when uncompressed. Less work for the renderer. I am just curious as to the difference between Level 0 and Uncompressed in dBPoweramp, or if they are the same (I presume it is).

36 minutes ago, timster said:

Yes, but the unzipping is unnecessary when uncompressed. Less work for the renderer. I am just curious as to the difference between Level 0 and Uncompressed in dBPoweramp, or if they are the same (I presume it is).

As Flac is a lossless codec it makes no difference to the final file what compression rate you use the only difference between the two files will be the size.  The more compression used the harder the encoder works on the file to create it . However once it is compressed there is little or no difference for the renderer to play as all work is done and completed before the digital signal outputs from the player so to you as the listener it would be transparent.

I must say I wonder why you would render a file in to uncompressed as there is very little saving in size so just leave the file as WAV and lay that ?

WAV tagging is a nightmare

2 hours ago, timster said:

WAV tagging is a nightmare

Ahh yes I can see your point then .