Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

Curry anyone?

Tonight I'm cooking a proper Portuguese Vindaloo. Not as hot as the vindaloos eaten at restaurants. I'm not a huge curry fan - have to be in the mood.  

Got the meat (chicken) marinating in the fridge: White wine vinegar, ground coriander, cumin and smoked Paprika... I'll add the ginger and Fenugreek once I start cooking.

What's your favourite curry? 

I leave all the cooking to the excellent chefs at our favourite Bangladeshi restaurant.

Can’t get the same expertise, atmosphere, smells and service etc. at home. And at the end of the meal ... no washing up!

2 minutes ago, chebby said:

I leave all the cooking to the excellent chefs at our favourite Bangladeshi restaurant.

Can’t get the same expertise, atmosphere, smells and service etc. at home. And at the end of the meal ... no washing up!

I always find, regardless of the eating house, those curries are too buttery. They use ghee which is too sickly for my pallet.

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

Not so keen on Indian curries now, prefer Thai ones.

Never had wine vinegar in curry and what is Fenugreek?

Fenugreek comes in powder form (most supermarkets do it), seeds and plants. Once you smell Fenugreek, it has that familiar curry smell. 

Mustard seeds help aswell……. I make my own as the wife is allergic to onions , so use courgette as a base

im doing one tonight ……………..hmmmmmmmmmm ……:love:

Fenugreek also called methi is at its best in leaf form.

Last time I bought it was from Asda of all places.

2 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Tonight I'm cooking a proper Portuguese Vindaloo. Not as hot as the vindaloos eaten at restaurants. I'm not a huge curry fan - have to be in the mood.  

Got the meat (chicken) marinating in the fridge: White wine vinegar, ground coriander, cumin and smoked Paprika... I'll add the ginger and Fenugreek once I start cooking.

What's your favourite curry? 

My favorite is a Chicken Tikka Dhansak and second best Chicken or Lamb Pathia .

The must be some Sag Aloo on the plate every time as well .

Trying to cook it at home results in a poor but palatable result , I leave it to the pro's at my local  Shampan Indian restaurant.

I feel hungry now ! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toprepairman said:

Agree fenugreek definitely  best in leaf form, very difficult to find. Nowhere near an Asda but will go in next time I'm near one, thanks for the tip.

I like to put some in scrambled egg.

Curried egg is a no no for me.

1 hour ago, Electro said:

My favorite is a Chicken Tikka Dhansak and second best Chicken or Lamb Pathia .

The must be some Sag Aloo on the plate every time as well .

Trying to cook it at home results in a poor but palatable result , I leave it to the pro's at my local  Shampan Indian restaurant.

I feel hungry now ! :)

If you get the amount of spices right, it's great. I can only use mild chili for seasoning because my daughter isn't keen. So my curries aren't that hot but have a real depth  and layers of flavours.

Proper Portuguese Vindaloo is so different from the the stuff most people are familiar with: It's more sweet and sour than 'blow your brains' out hot. It's name is 'Carne de vinha d'alhos', which means meat marinated in garlic and wine.

Nepalese curry is best imho...

Much more taste, slightly milder spices and no where near as fatty tasting as Indian...

Goat, Lamb or Chicken, we're spoilt here on the coast with a large Nepali community.

Hmmmmmm , mine from earlier was scrumptious...….a tad toomuch chilli , but added some fresh yogurt to cool it down,...…. not a drop left, all wiped clean with fresh ..jap ateeees.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

If you get the amount of spices right, it's great. I can only use mild chili for seasoning because my daughter isn't keen. So my curries aren't that hot but have a real depth  and layers of flavours.

Proper Portuguese Vindaloo is so different from the the stuff most people are familiar with: It's more sweet and sour than 'blow your brains' out hot. It's name is 'Carne de vinha d'alhos', which means meat marinated in garlic and wine.

Yes getting the spices right is a real skill .

I used to do some work for my favorite Indian restaurant and visited the kitchens on many occasions, they had a dedicated spice chef who was paid a considerable sum for his blending skills, he was freelance and sorted out the flavors in many other restaurants,  to watch him blend and cook was a work of art.

I was very surprised at the quality of the ingredients they used, the chickens were from a local free range farm and they only used the best part of the bird, the rest was throw away .

Dhansak and Pathia are both hot , sweet and sour dishes, Dhansak it particular has a beautiful thick sauce with lentils, herbs and spices that is absolutely delicious.