Optimal speaker cable length

BB1

There’s a yardstick available for all of those following the Lejonklou forum. Its length matches exactly the one and only optimal speaker cable length as suggested over there (https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=657): 2.48 m.

https://shop.a1-zaundiscount.de/spezial-zollstock-2-lang.html

It’s labeled "Das Maß aller Dinge" which translates to "the measure of all things". Why 2.48 m? Because that’s the standard distance between fencing posts…

This raises a few questions. Is there a correlation between the standard distance between fencing posts and the optimal speaker cable length? Is Frederik aware of the fact that 2.48 m is the standard distance between fencing post? Would a Klimax Exaktbox with a housing width of 2.48 m sound better than the current one?

2.48m is unlikely to be the optimal speaker cable length if your speakers happen to be more than 5m apart ... :)

Incidentally, my dealer (who also stocks Lejonklou) supplied pre-owned K600 cable for my system ... in 2.48m lengths, naturally.

David

I would even go further than this and state that 2.48 m is also not the optimum length, if only 1 m is needed.

First of all, any passive cable can not improve the signal driven by any source. Some cables are less worse than others, but all of them will alter and degrade the source’s signal to some extent.

Getting technical, any passive cable is a rather complex LRC low-pass altering the source’s frequency and phase response. The longer it is, the larger become the three variables (R, L and C) and therefore their impact on the source’s signal. Furthermore the frequency and phase response of any passive filter do also depend on the source’s (amp) output impedance and the sink’s (speaker) input impedance.

The 2.48 m myth becomes even more ridiculous if you think seriously about the internal speaker wiring, as its length does for sure differ by much more than 1 cm between different speaker models.

I’m not denying that the speakers cable length does effect the SQ, but the only thing it can do is adding colouration to the original signal. You may like or not like this sort of colouration, but if you want to listen to the unaltered signal of the amp, the optimum cable length is 0 m.

Edited by BB1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@BB1 I'd be interested to see what sort of response you'd get to your cogently expressed views on the Lejonklou forum. We'll gladly hold your coat for you ...

David

• Haha 1

@BB1 You won’t get far with such a reasoned argument as this!  FWIW I completely agree. 

The only exception might be those manufacturers whose amplifiers require a certain type of cable to load them, such as some early Naim models. 

done the washing up, checked it out 2.48 cables would give me inky blackness. No matter what I try the signal will not jump the 6m gap it leaves. Having cut the cable to try I will no have to drive 50 miles and pick up some more. Is their a correlation chart for 50 miles for speaker cable. 

I would have thought wire's basic measurement lcr measurements, not to mention diameter would have something to do with it. Why is hi-fi overpopulated with bloody nutters.

An analogue signal will degrade over length. I'd have thought the optimal was the shortest possible. Specific lengths and multiples thereof are only relevant for ethernet and possibly spdif.

Interestingly, did you know the longest HDMI can be is 20m?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As others have pointed out, it can't be just about the speaker cable. No one has mentioned connectors yet, but I think that Fred Lejonklou's insistence on proper plugs, correctly soldered, makes a lot more sense than any 'optimum' cable length. Of course, Fred goes overboard in his recommendations (only one solder formula and one precise soldering temperature will do, apparently), but the basic idea seems sound to me.

David

The optimum length for a speaker cable is easily calculated. Long enough to reach comfortably, but no longer.

1 hour ago, Muckplaster said:

The optimum length for a speaker cable is easily calculated. Long enough to reach comfortably, but no longer.

Actually, the optimum length is any length you don't have to cut and re-terminate ... :)

David

2 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

re-terminate

Is that the next terminator sequel? ;)

Is it true that both L & R cables should be the same length? I have always assumed so, although it seems a bit of a waste & jolly inconvenient having to coil-up most of the 5M of LH cable behind my equipment rack (as it sits next to the LH speaker).

no , you can use unequal lengths , i have 2 systems with unequal lengths of chord epic and van damme . makes not a scrap of difference