lostwin

Top 3 changes to your system in 2018

19 minutes ago, voyduser said:

Hi John

Absolutely. I also used to have my speakers spiked to granite slabs and found this made little / no difference to the sound, although it did add physical stability to the speaker as they were previously spiked to the carpet on a sprung wooden floor. I visited the Bristol Hi-Fi show a couple of years ago and came across the Podiums and, after a chat with Max Townshend I came away very intrigued with the science behind the concept. After a year of debate, because they are quite pricey, I finally found a pair of ex-dem size 2 Podiums and treated myself to a special birthday present. The Podiums are sprung, and after some time installing them under my Auditoriums I cued up my copy of Rag'n'Bone Man's 'Human' LP which I'd been playing regularly for the previous few days. Now I've owned the Auditoriums for 20 years so I am very familiar with their presentation and straight away I noticed a big difference. Most noticeable was that the bass was considerably more prominent. On the track 'Human', the bass line was much more noticeable and considerably deeper. There was also a more focused definition of instruments and voice and dynamics had definitely improved (a consequence of a lowered noise floor because interestingly there was noticeably less noise in the run out groove and between tracks).

Now these improvements were not subtle - they were very obvious to me, even from sitting at my desk which is no where near the sweet spot.

I listen exclusively to vinyl and my sprung turntable (A Voyd The Voyd) sits on the top shelf of a Finite Element Pagode rack, and this and the speakers stand on a sprung wooden floor. I'm not able to install a turntable shelf in the room.

Yesterday I listened to Eric Clapton's 'Me and Mr Johnson' LP and the results were again startling. This is an LP that I'd always found a bit compressed and unflatteringly produced, but yesterday was the first time I'd listened to it since I'd installed the Podiums and it was like hearing a different record - honestly the difference was so obvious. There was much more depth and width to the sound-stage, lower frequencies were more obvious, bass lines more prominent and all in all it was a much more enjoyable listen. 

Again, these differences were not subtle. Although it had been a while since I'd listened to the LP I have listened to it many times and always been disappointed at the production. Seems I was wrong all along.

Whether the Podiums would have such a profound effect on a concrete floor or on a vinyl playback system that is more isolated (on a wall shelf for instance) or on a digital playback system I can't comment, but if you have a sprung wooden floor and you listen to vinyl and footfall is an issue, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Hope that's helpful and feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

That’s really helpful, thank you.

Just checked the cost new :shock:, second hand looks the way to go :^

32 minutes ago, ssfas said:

1.Townshend Podium under my turntable

2. Quad ESL63 in place of Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary 

3. BK 400w sub in place of REL 230w S/2.

More Townsend Podiums this time under the tt.

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to dig under the foundations and suspend the whole house on springs..  :bulb::geek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just one change, and that made today. I crossed the Pennines to the dark side this morning, and listened to a pair of Shahinian Larcs at Audio Counsel. They sounded a bit bright through a cold Naim Supernait, but were interesting enough for me to bring home to try with my Nait XS. Within one track the decision was made. They're staying. I've been listening for three hours now, and love 'em.

They've replaced a pair of Musical Technology Harrier SEs. The living room looks a lot bigger now, with the little Larcs where the Harriers were. My only fear is that the cats may decide that I've bought them a scratching post apiece. Maybe I should put them on stands. Any suggestions?

• Like 3

My changes were pretty massive this year, went from an entry level system to a fairly decent setup.

Biggest changes are :
1) Speakers - Audio Physic Avanti

2) Amp - Leema Tucana II
3) Deck - Michell Gyro SE with SME arm and Qunitet cartridge

I've also re-arranged my room about 8 times to get a better sound stage, that should be probably be number 1 or 2 on the list. 

• Like 3

1/ Fitting Duelund cast copper paper in oil capacitors in my tube phono stage.

2/ Having low enough dc offsets to remove the filtering capacitors in my headphone/pre amp

3/ Moving to a 55" OLED TV & OPPO 205 combo for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray watching, stunning picture and sound quality . 

2 hours ago, hlinden said:

My changes were pretty massive this year, went from an entry level system to a fairly decent setup.

Biggest changes are :
1) Speakers - Audio Physic Avanti

2) Amp - Leema Tucana II
3) Deck - Michell Gyro SE with SME arm and Qunitet cartridge

I've also re-arranged my room about 8 times to get a better sound stage, that should be probably be number 1 or 2 on the list. 

Having done a quick search Leema look to be an interesting brand and not one I had come across before.

How did you go about deciding on the new components- was this a set up that you heard at a single dealer or did you piece it together from various sources using home demos?

On 19/12/2018 at 15:13, lostwin said:

More Townsend Podiums this time under the tt.

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to dig under the foundations and suspend the whole house on springs..  :bulb::geek:

The whole room is on a springy floor, so you can't have people walking around with records playing. The Townshend Podium solves that problem completely and is much cheaper and less hassle than the cost of a turntable with built-in isolation. 

The Townshend Podium works because you can set the loading of the springs extremely accurately, which is the only way to get truly effective damping.

• Like 1

Well i've made what feels like a lot of changes this year, but I think the top 3 would be:

3. Cyrus DAC XP Sig and Mono Xs out and a gorgeous (imo) Chord CPM2650 (with Integra legs!) in

2. Cyrus Stream X out and Linn Akurate DS/1 in

1. Moving my equipment from being on a rack in between the speakers to being all wall mounted at the back of the room

Obviously I changed two things with the equipment move (not between speakers and wall mounted), so it's difficult to say which one of these had the biggest effect, but overall it's the biggest improvement i think I've ever made to my system. Imaging is considerably improved and there is definitely more depth to the sound too! It's even more noticeable with vinyl replay, but then I previously had my Gyro SE wall-mounted and am convinced it's happiest there (if you can do it of course).

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Only made one change to my system this year and that was to buy a Minidsp 2x4HD to configure and use as an active digital crossover, in place of the Gradient analogue active crossover. This was an improvement and my next plan is to buy a UMIK-1 microphone so that I can measure my in-room response and apply any corrections should it be required.

Just waiting for one to come up at the right price on Ebay or in the classifieds here. 

Super Wammer

Looking back over the year I have made quite a few changes, despite being pretty happy with my system overall & initially thinking all it needed was some minor tweaks.  This time last year I had a turntable made for me to my design, & while on the whole I was very happy with the sound & the looks, it was beset by speed stability problems that in the end drove me to distraction. It is now in the garage under a sheet waiting for me to be bothered to get it fettled properly, which I will do as ultimately I believe once the speed stability is sorted it is a good TT. But, I got frustrated with it so allowed myself to be seduced by a Garrard 401, despite the fact I didn't particularly like the way they look, & partnered it with a Jelco SA750D 'arm, & straight away I felt more trusting of it & quickly forgot what it was like listening for speed changes. Bass in particular improved too.

Other changes were more recent, I have always had more than a passing interest with passive pre's & TVC's, & I came across one that not only looked the biz but produced a proper "wow moment" as soon as it was inserted into the system, a Audiozone T1 passive pre. I had heard the reputation that they could rob a system of drive & dynamics, but in my system it works a dream & I now have bags of drive & dynamics, now I can really hear what the Art Audio Quintet is doing in all it's glory, & suddenly my system had taken a real leap in quality, to my ears at least & that is all that matters really.

One more recent change too, I recently picked up a pair of Auralex subdudes for Jack on my travels, & had a chance to give them a whirl at home before he collected them. I have a suspended wooden floor unfortunately & it does muck up the lower frequencies to say the least, but these platforms totally transformed the bottom end sound of my speakers, bass notes were now much clearer, more tuneful, & deeper too. I had to have a pair, but unfortunately I can't find anyone who makes they small enough for the space I have to fit them in, & I didn't fancy butchering a pair either. so I made my own. Really easy to do too, I cut the size I needed from some composite board I had in the garage, bought some acoustic foam from the 'bay & a nice piece of cloth to cover them in & that was that, done. I would say they sound about 90% as good as the Auralex for a total cost of about £15. I am pretty sure that the 10% loss is because mine are a lot smaller than the subdudes from necessity, & would be at 100% the same if I could replicate the same size,  but nevertheless I am very happy with them, & the sound I now have compared to this time last year.

• Like 1

Amp, speakers, i should say turntable, it's more vintage then someting like  going from a 40 pound,50 euros cartridge to a 200 pound,250 euro cartridge.

Playing eric clapton,bb king,gary more, stevie ray vaughan...... on youtube and it sounds really good, musically,good tight bass and the right energy,freshness in the highs,nothing bad to say about the midrange,good depth and  lot's of foot tapping listen to guitar.

Edited by gasolin

In true internet fashion, I'm going to cheat and choose 4.

I had my previous system for nearly 10 years, nice little Cambridge audio amp and cdp, infinity primus speakers and a streaming solution that used a 15m HDMI cable from my pc through my tv into a 10 quid dac...and into the amp. A rega rp1 for vinyl.

Then for some reason I decided to change everything...midlife crisis or something.

1. Bought in 2017 but not brought back to France until the beginning of the year, what can I say, it's an amp, I can see a red light on it. Sounds good. In retrospect balance and tone controls would be nice.

2. Bluesound node 2. Completely changed the way I listen to music. Took my pc completely out of the system. Got a Spotify premium contract, put all my cds on flac, never looked back.

3. Harbeth p3ser. Listened to lots, wasn't expecting to choose them, perfect for my apartment and musical tastes.

4.....all my life I've collected vinyl and I've never had a really decent turntable. Against all expectations I finished the year with a Thorens td125, sme 3009 s2 imp. I'm in love..I leave the lid up and just look at it. Wife says if she finds me sleeping next to it, both of us are in the street. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fried said:

In true internet fashion, I'm going to cheat and choose 4.

:off: :P