Majik DSM external amp connection

Hello

I wonder if you lovely people can help me? 
I've had my Majik DSM for almost a year now - it's driving a pair of B&W 805 D3's - I'm thinking I need more power but I'm not sure how to hook it up.  I think what I'd like to do is use the internal DAC and pre amp etc and turn off the internal power amp.  Do you agree that's the best way?  If so how do I do that and which output sockets do I use?  

Many thanks in advance.

Chris :-)

Yes turn the internal amp off and connect the external amp to connection “12”. Have a look in http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM#Back_Panel_Connections

The volume control shall be enabled, but it most likely already is since you have used the internal amp. 

/HansBertil 

• Upvote 1

Or you could Bi amp the speakers.

Keep the internal DSM power amp on and connect to just the Bass inputs of the speakers.
Use the Power Amp to connect to Treble inputs (or the other way round if you prefer).

If you've got more speaker inputs you could even tri-amp etc...

To bi-amp in that way you must use a compatible Linn power amp  . [The sensitivities & gain characteristics must  be alike if two or more amps  are driving the same pair of speakers].

If you're just going to  use the Majik as a pre-amp you can use pretty much any power amp you want ...but make sure you get one that's going to sound better than  the built in one  ! ;)

Edited by Smokestack

Thank you guys. This forum is great! 😀

So, this is what I’ve done for anyone that’s interested: Cyrus stereo 200 from the Majik, into B&W 805 D3’s I’ve also just bought a sub - B&W DB2D. The combination is utterly fanstatic. The amp is now properly driving the speakers and the sub add quality low down grunt with subtlety. Really happy. 

Thanks again for your help! 

Chris 😊

• Like 1

Doubtless a nice combination. Even though my components are a little bit more basic, I think I get quite a similar effect with Majik 109s and a Majik 126 sub as frontends to my MDSM. Little shelf speakers can sound great (er than they are), but some times a sub delivers just the thing you were missing without ...

One question: Did you try just the new amp at your speakers, without the sub? I would be interested in how you would describe the difference between internal amplification and the Cyrus. Do you use Space Optimisation?

Best, Heiko

Edited by Heiko

Hi Heiko

I’ve spent a bit of time fiddling today - without the sub and with etc - ‘with’ is so much better. Without is also VERY good - a massive improvement to the internal amp in the Majik - night and day in fact! So much more insightful and a much bigger sound stage. The mids and highs are simply stunning. The sub strings it all together seamlessly and wonderfully.

This might go against the Linn grain but my experience of S.O hasn’t been great; maybe a bit of a gimmick? 😬😬. I SO much prefer it off - it all sounds a bit weird to me - clipped maybe. I’ve given it a good go - I’m just not a fan. One of the hifi shop guys has offered to come over this weekend to have a listen - partly because he’s interested in listening to the fairly unusual combination of the Cyrus amp and the Majik - I’ll get him to see what he thinks of the S.O settings.

Happy New Year. 

Chris. 

Hi Christopher,

thanks! I‘m not surprised by both parts of your answer. At least the internal MDSM amp is very neutral. Highs very good but for my taste there is a little bit of a lack of „warmth“ (and the deep frequencies when only with 109s). In my case the sub and SO are the solution.

Enjoy your system!

Cheers, Heiko

Heiko, are your 109's on dedicated speaker stands, or just a shelf/cupboard etc.? 

Edited by PaulH

16 hours ago, Heiko said:

Hi Christopher,

thanks! I‘m not surprised by both parts of your answer. At least the internal MDSM amp is very neutral. Highs very good but for my taste there is a little bit of a lack of „warmth“ (and the deep frequencies when only with 109s). In my case the sub and SO are the solution.

Enjoy your system!

Cheers, Heiko

Interesting - soon... to be installed latest MDSM, Black interconect to M6100 with M140 on the end. I thought that the general consensus to use the MDSM to drive the bass. I don't really want to mess around with the system once connected so welcome all thoughts on this.

@PaulH: They are located in a shelf. But before moving the kit in my study I used it in the family living room on stands, back then not with 109, but with B&W DM 601 S2, and I remember doctoring around with the bass shelf etc as well.

@Ray Vardy: I think bass-wise the 140 is a very different thing than the 109. Plus, from what I read from your e-mail, you will drive your 140s actively? That also is supposed to be very different. Plus, at least with the 109s, when driven actively the 109s are adressed with deeper frequencies compared to passive mode.

And yes, general consensus in your configuration is to drive the bass by the MDSM’s internal amp. Better amplification should go to higher frequencies. But actually I don‘t know if there are real differences between the amps in the MDSM vs the M6100.

Should be a great system - exactly like Linn designed it to be.

Best, H

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2018 at 11:55, Ray Vardy said:

Interesting - soon... to be installed latest MDSM, Black interconect to M6100 with M140 on the end. I thought that the general consensus to use the MDSM to drive the bass. I don't really want to mess around with the system once connected so welcome all thoughts on this.

I have Miso’s and the dealer instaled the supertweeter card in the MDSM. As this gave best performance in his opinion. The 6100 has a bit more power per channel than the MDSM. Are you running active or just quad amping?

34 minutes ago, JanH6 said:

I have Miso’s and the dealer instaled the supertweeter card in the MDSM. As this gave best performance in his opinion. The 6100 has a bit more power per channel than the MDSM. Are you running active or just quad amping?

Thanks for your input, yes, active. *Cough* on the not entirely unrelated subject (connections) what should I be using to terminate at the amp & speakers..?

R.