midband

Spreads & hydrogenated fats

Going through the various makes of butter alternatives the only one I found that stated that it contained no hydrogenated fats was Anchor spreadable. I'd like to know if there are other spreadables that also conforms to this? Spreadables are certainly not cheap either.

Rarely bother with any butter. Nowadays I tend to use good quality olive oil, even making cakes.

As always, in moderation butter is fine.

On 20/12/2018 at 22:46, midband said:

Going through the various makes of butter alternatives the only one I found that stated that it contained no hydrogenated fats was Anchor spreadable. I'd like to know if there are other spreadables that also conforms to this? Spreadables are certainly not cheap either.

Most spreadables contain Trans Fats which aren't great for you...

Why not try unrefined Shea Butter, HERE

It can be used for spreading on toast, cooking or even taking years off your wrinkles possibly...

Not sure, the Aldi spreadable it's not clear just says butter and rapeseed. Hardly eat any butter/marg, often goes out of date before I use it all.

How much is Shea butter?

It's quite expensive but this is the one I use as it's guaranteed food grade.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078W78R2H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

512auY8dp6L.jpg

I also buy Organic butter from M & S but rarely use it as I don't eat much bread... A couple of quid if IIRC...

8d39d2ca-e91e-4ef6-80a9-4235010e47f1.jpg

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

Not sure, the Aldi spreadable it's not clear just says butter and rapeseed.

The problem with lots of oils, especially Rapeseed is many are GMO products. I have supplied a link for the Shea Butter now... :^

5 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

It's quite expensive but this is the one I use as it's guaranteed food grade.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078W78R2H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

512auY8dp6L.jpg

I also buy Organic butter from M & S but rarely use it as I don't eat much bread... A couple of quid if IIRC...

8d39d2ca-e91e-4ef6-80a9-4235010e47f1.jpg

Thanks as I suspected quite expensive, I eat bread but I don't use butter or spread on it, just cheese and salad.

One option is to blend butter with olive oil to make your own 'spread'. I've done the past but now just generally don't use anything like this.

On 29/05/2019 at 23:42, MartinC said:

One option is to blend butter with olive oil to make your own 'spread'. I've done the past but now just generally don't use anything like this.

That is a really interesting idea.  I guess avocado oil and coconut would work as well.