fried

Buying in Japan

I'd been looking at ordering a Jico sas stylus for my Shure v15 iii from an online store via E..., as luck would have it my nephew and niece announced that they'd be going to Japan in April, even full of Turkey and red wine my brain slowly kicked into action...

Unfortunately I can't find any addresses of reputable audio stores, maybe that speak a bit of English. Does anyone have any advice?

Not sure where they're visiting, but they'll definitely be in Tokyo at some point.

Thanks 

Edited by fried
Spellin

Well, doesn't look as easy as I thought. Any recommended Japanese ebay sellers? Or I might just pay a bit extra and go through Thakker.

Try Japanese price comparison websites - like kakaku.com or shopping.yahoo.co.jp - before you travel there (Google Chrome automatically provides a workable if not good English translation) to check what the going prices are, and which shops carry stock. Stockists can usually be found in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka; the listing or stockist website normally has the shop address. Lowest prices I found for the Jico SAS N97xE stylus are ~Y24500 for the sapphire cantilever version.

If you're visiting Osaka, this is a store in the Nipponbashi area - https://joshinweb.jp/audio/5320/ - which often has low prices.

Good luck.

Super Wammer

I don’t wish to be pedantic, but for a V15/III the replacement stylus is the VN35E.  

Sure. I was simply giving an example to illustrate a possible procedure for buying in Japan, and not suggesting which stylus the OP should purchase.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Jagged24 said:

Sure. I was simply giving an example to illustrate a possible procedure for buying in Japan, and not suggesting which stylus the OP should purchase.

I did wonder.  Sorry for missing the point!

Edited by Nopiano

While we're debating this point there seem to be a couple of different stylus available VN35E and VN35HE both marked as SAS. I understand the difference between normal E and HE but surely SAS is well SAS...

10 hours ago, Jagged24 said:

Try Japanese price comparison websites - like kakaku.com or shopping.yahoo.co.jp - before you travel there (Google Chrome automatically provides a workable if not good English translation) to check what the going prices are, and which shops carry stock. Stockists can usually be found in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka; the listing or stockist website normally has the shop address. Lowest prices I found for the Jico SAS N97xE stylus are ~Y24500 for the sapphire cantilever version.

If you're visiting Osaka, this is a store in the Nipponbashi area - https://joshinweb.jp/audio/5320/ - which often has low prices.

Good luck.

Super info, but it's all getting a bit complicated, especially since it's not me going. Thanks anyway.

Whale meat should be easier to buy.:off:

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 26/12/2018 at 09:38, Martin D said:

The only thing i found was that almost all prices were better in Germany or UK!

Yes this can be true and if you import from Japan direct then you will get charged VAT etc. by Customs and Excise.   EU/UK distributors buy in bulk I guess and can manage to sell at better prices.   The answer is to do a search on Japan ebay (you can use google translate to get to understand it all) and see what prices are in Japan (if there are dealers selling on there).  You may be lucky and find that you can get it cheaper and of course with family bringing it back it will not attract duty methinks.

• Like 1

I did an eBay search an can get a vn35e SAS for about 150€ in Japan, by the time I pay shipping and TVA in France it's not so much less than Thakker at 209€.

Super Wammer

The main electronic area is Akihabara (see below)

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3003.html

Its only a few stops on the underground from Tokyo.

Language was a bit of an issue in the cheaper stores in Akihabara and could not buy an item tax free as the staff could not understand.. However in the UK I declared my item and was not charged anything on entering the UK as they could see I had paid local tax in Japan and was let off.

In Tokyo prices were very high, the Sony store for example only sold export models, which were multi voltage, multi-region etc you could buy a model in UK/EU a lot cheaper.

Alan

Thanks again, it's all looking a bit complicated. If it was me going I'd enjoy the adventure, but don't want to impose on other's holidays. Still have plenty of time to mull it over.

I'll repeat this question as it got a bit lost....

What on earth is the difference between a vn35e SAS and a vn35he SAS?

Thanks again for all the help.