Spen ago

WANTED - Denon PMA-850 Integrated Amplifier

As per title, after one of these and would prefer to buy from a forum member rather than eBay.

If anyone has one and tempted to sell let me know before 8pm on 27th if possible!

Not to labour the point, and others may have a different opinion, but this is the amp that has stayed longest in my system, and worked with the largest variety of amplifiers without any issues whatsoever, while sounding really lovely, and surprising many a visitor. I would heartily recommend it.

Edited by oldius

Hi Geoff,

Twas yours that I heard at a show few years back, the memory has stayed....

The UK eBay listing is the reason for the thread, having been on the lookout for one for a while I have been counting down the days until the auction ends. The listing details are a bit of a joke though!

Thank you for the link to the German listing will check it out.

3 hours ago, ben said:

I have a PMA 1500AE for sale if that is any good?

I am after more of a vintage unit, fancy trying an old Japanese amp, but thank you for the offer.

5 hours ago, Spen ago said:

I am after more of a vintage unit, fancy trying an old Japanese amp, but thank you for the offer.

Bloody hell, that was several years ago for the memory to have stayed!

I had the PMA-S10 too but kept the PMA850.

11 hours ago, oldius said:

Not to labour the point, and others may have a different opinion, but this is the amp that has stayed longest in my system, and worked with the largest variety of amplifiers without any issues whatsoever, while sounding really lovely, and surprising many a visitor. I would heartily recommend it.

Hello Geoff,

Your 850 certainly got the better of my Sony TA-F770ES when you came around to mine for a listen last Christmas, It's an absolute battleship of an amp that sounds as good as looks and feels.

I was looking at this one one ebay myself, but I've just bought a high end Samsung washing machine and a TV, for some strange reason it's come on sale just like that one at Christmas last year, at the wrong time!

I suspect though there's a fair bit of work to be done on that amp with a soldering iron.

Happy New year all,

Yep, having factored in the price of a recapping and service I decided against that one too.

There was one this time last year on ebay and it was if my memory serves me at £500 with a best offer chance, I was looking at 400 - 450 to give some headroom for new caps. But just like this year I'd spent too much already and had to watch it sail by.

There's a general trend with these old flagship amps and it's ever increasing prices, in the past year and half eveything seems to carry a 25% - 30% premium on flagship amps.

Best of luck with your search for one.

Well, I did buy this, until the seller decided that he wanted another £30 for Insured delivery, after I had already paid him. I had the transaction cancelled.

Treat seller with caution.

12 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Well, I did buy this, until the seller decided that he wanted another £30 for Insured delivery, after I had already paid him. I had the transaction cancelled.

Treat seller with caution.

got unnerving vibes from him via messages prior to the end of the sale. To Be fair, it may be that he treats everyone like a scammer, but it put me off. 

2 minutes ago, Spen ago said:

got unnerving vibes from him via messages prior to the end of the sale. To Be fair, it may be that he treats everyone like a scammer, but it put me off. 

Possibly, but I paid him exactly what he asked immediately after the auction ended and a couple of days later he asked for an extra £30 postage.

Tells me all I need to know and I probably had a lucky escape.

I have a Denon PMA-850 Amp in working order and good condition, for sale. I also have the matching tuner TU-850 for sale.  Please message me or find my new thread where I have advertised it on here.

84CD7D61-97FC-4B74-830E-86D6CA57F927.JPG