marktjp

DAC is important, but does the digital source matter?

Super Dealer

Measuring the right thing just no difference.

Keith

On 20/01/2019 at 10:24, PuritéAudio said:

If you had ever spoken to me you would know I am the least ‘salesman’ like salesman.

My only aim is to improve the sound of your system.

Keith

I can vouch for this. He’s an absolutely terrible salesman. Spent an afternoon with him and he pretty much talked me out of buying anything but the cheapest VFM gear.  I’ve never bought a thing from him and probably won’t because of his brutal honesty. His pet hate is audioblingery and I get an anaphylactic allergic reaction to salesmen doing their heavy salesman thing with a finely tuned BS detector. Surprised that he’s allowed to be a distributor for any company. Tempted by his used Cessaros though...

Edited by A.S.
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Straight swop for your Beolabs?

Keith

Gosh, very tempting! The beryllium drivers and taut bass on Beolab 90s are as perfect as I’ve ever heard after auditioning 30+ speakers. Your Cessaros are also exquisite with a different flavour. We have short Barrett Home style ceilings and the wife says that the Liszts are so big they remind her of part of Boeing 747. I appreciate you’re no longer working with Cessaro (shocked by their behaviour) but why not just hold on to them and enjoy them dude. An interested party will need tall ceilings. Have you tried EBay?

Edited by A.S.

12 minutes ago, A.S. said:

Have you tried EBay?

Hifi dealer conned out of £65,000 pair of loudspeakers in eBay scam”.:nerves:

(only joking ;-)).

Edited by jkbmusic

Super Dealer
58 minutes ago, A.S. said:

Gosh, very tempting! The beryllium drivers and taut bass on Beolab 90s are as perfect as I’ve ever heard after auditioning 30+ speakers. Your Cessaros are also exquisite with a different flavour. We have short Barrett Home style ceilings and the wife says that the Liszts are so big they remind her of part of Boeing 747. I appreciate you’re no longer working with Cessaro (shocked by their behaviour) but why not just hold on to them and enjoy them dude. An interested party will need tall ceilings. Have you tried EBay?

Ansh I wouldn’t lumber you with them, if I can sell them I might get some 90’s. I am concerned that they may be the very pinnacle of loudspeaker design, the Kiis/BXTS are pretty good though, be interesting to compare.

BW Keith

2 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Ansh I wouldn’t lumber you with them, if I can sell them I might get some 90’s. I am concerned that they may be the very pinnacle of loudspeaker design, the Kiis/BXTS are pretty good though, be interesting to compare.

BW Keith

What's wrong with the Cessaros?

Super Dealer

There’s nothing wrong with them, Ralph uses very decent drivers, I believe the implementation is sound, I suspect they are not coloured enough for most horn fanciers who appear to want to replicate the sound quality of the 1930’s .

Keith

27 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

There’s nothing wrong with them, Ralph uses very decent drivers, I believe the implementation is sound, I suspect they are not coloured enough for most horn fanciers who appear to want to replicate the sound quality of the 1930’s .

Keith

Horns also have controlled directivity but because of the narrow dispersion the sound (mids and highs) reaching the listener is not as influenced by the room boundaries.

This means that you listen to a more accurate reproduction of the recording; the downside, for some, is that side-wall reflections "enhance" the soundstage effect, 3D-ness or a sense of immersion. Also, lower-fi speakers tend to draw attention to themselves and placing them closer to the side walls helps make them disappear. A turntable designer in Lisbon used to toe-out speakers at demos dor this reason.

Since I haven't posted measurements for a while here's the horizontal dispersion plot of an Avant Garde:

unofig5.jpg

Edited by tuga

Super Dealer

Yes that’s theory and it is true, but horns introduce their own colouration even keeping the horns short there is a slight cuppyness compared to the Kiis/8Cs .

Keith

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

Yes that’s theory and it is true, but horns introduce their own colouration even keeping the horns short there is a slight cuppyness compared to the Kiis/8Cs .

Keith

What do you mean by "keeping the horns short"?

That makes no sense...

Cuppiness, as far as I know, comes from running the driver high-pass too close to the resonance frequency (I that this is what gives the trumpet it's "raspy" sound). At least that was my impression with my limited fiddling experience. In other words, it's the result of poor design/implementation and easier to happen when designers try to skimp on the number of ways and use the horn beyond its optimal operation bandwidth.

Super Dealer

The length is the measurement from throat to mouth.

Keith

Gosh, very tempting! The beryllium drivers and taut bass on Beolab 90s are as perfect as I’ve ever heard after auditioning 30+ speakers. 

*Nerd mode ON*

Just as a point of note, Beolab 90s don’t have beryllium drivers.

*Nerd mode OFF*

Ah, heck, who am I kidding ? My nerd mode is never off...
  • Haha 4

Super Dealer

The 90 is the one speaker I don’t have and would like here, perhaps when/if the horns are sold.

Keith

Don't go for one, Keith - grab a pair. They sound even better in stereo...

;-)

• Haha 4