whitehart

CD Alive and Well?

I may be wrong but I think if you've legally bought and downloaded an album then you are entitled to burn that to CD for personal use.

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I may be wrong but I think if you've legally bought and downloaded an album then you are entitled to burn that to CD for personal use.

I can’t remember what the current status quo is, but a quick google turned up this, which seems to contradict you.  

https://www.prsformusic.com/press/2015/private-copying-regulations-quashed-by-high-court

To me, copying something you bought legitimately is a victimless crime, and I’m sure nobody’s ever been prosecuted. (I make a complete distinction with pirating or bootleg copies, of course.) 

You were not allowed to copy them. Then, briefly you were. And now your not.

Hopefully this will clear it up!

12 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

You were not allowed to copy them. Then, briefly you were. And now your not.

Hopefully this will clear it up!

So does that mean the ones you copied when you were allowed are ok? Always struck me as a totally stupid concept telling someone they had to pay separately for each time they wanted a different format.

3 minutes ago, J Macquarrie said:

So does that mean the ones you copied when you were allowed are ok?

Good point, that will be my excuse if they come knocking on my door! :D

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I find it's easier to just buy the CD ;)

• Upvote 1

I find it's easier to just buy the CD 

I agree - that’s why I also never download and I buy CDs instead - a legal minefield which appears to periodically change its mind doesn’t make it easier for the d/l folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I suspect more than a few people here are actually scared of streaming and downloads because they think it’s difficult.

Better to say in public that you prefer to have a ‘tactile’, physical copy of a recording (that you can sniff and taste and fondle) than admit you still can’t operate a computer, or a phone, or a tablet after all these years!

It would also explain why the same people profess to always playing the whole album ‘as intended by the artist’ because they don’t understand the remote so have no choice.

Edited by chebby
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, chebby said:

I suspect more than a few people here are actually scared of streaming and downloads because they think it’s difficult.

Better to say in public that you prefer to have a ‘tactile’, physical copy of a recording (that you can sniff and taste and fondle) than admit you still can’t operate a computer, or a phone, or a tablet after all these years!

It would also explain why the same people profess to always playing the whole album ‘as intended by the artist’ because they don’t understand the remote so have no choice.

I hope that was meant to be a joke? If not it's monumentally patronising, and wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, that was pretty uncalled for. I happen to like listening to whole albums- that’s why I bought them! I generally pick single tracks to play to visitors, or because I’m learning to play them.

5 hours ago, chebby said:

Oddly I am fairly computer literate, have a decent streaming system, only download when I have bought vinyl, and got a bloody mp3 download. Still play LP's and CD's , and listen to music in album as released format, even when streaming. I hate playlists with a sensless passion, and detest track skippers. Your turn

Whoah  there- sharp pull on the reins! I thought this was a friendly society. Let’s all do it our own way. And for chrissake, will someone sell me a CD player!

3 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Whoah  there- sharp pull on the reins! I thought this was a friendly society. Let’s all do it our own way. And for chrissake, will someone sell me a CD player!

You can get 10% off this gem at the moment:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3499883

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

I hope that was meant to be a joke? If not it's monumentally patronising, and wrong.

I needed to pop the bubble of sanctimony that develops on forums between the ‘purists’ - who maintain that the path to righteousness can only be found via physical media and playing albums in their entirety - vs the filthy, devilish, apostates who enjoy streaming and/or downloads.

Me? Cupboard full of CD storage boxes with contents (mostly) ripped to computers and synced to  phones and tablets. I also play the occasional CD (sometimes all the way through) and have streamed from Spotify and Apple Music and iPlayer Radio/BBC Music and others.

You want to line up the pitchforks and the blazing villagers because I have feet in both trenches? Fine.

I actually know people my own age (and younger) who reject recent computer based, and computer streamed, music formats and Bluetooth/Airplay etc. simply because they have yet to come to grips with the technology. One or two family and some friends included. They are the same people who used to have ‘00:00’ permanently flashing on their VCRs in the years before the machines started automatically setting their own dates and times! 

Edited by chebby