wHIZZY

Linn Akurate Renew (sorry wrong thread)

I have currently borrowed a s/h Akurate Renew in order to test it out with a view to purchasing it. I have used it both directly and via my pre amp to drive my Beolab 9 active speakers and have been impressed with the results. My only hesitation in going ahead with the purchase at £1500.00 is could I achieve even better results by waiting for a s/h Klimax to come on the market and if so would the improvement be significant and what would the likely price difference be.

Edited by wHIZZY

I’d say it depends on what’s on the inside in both the Akurate and Klimax players. They all evolve over time. A late Akurate can be as good as an early Klimax. IMO. /HB

Edit: spelling

Edited by HansBertil

DS or DSM version required?    If you only need a DS then for that sort of money you could get a proper Akurate DS, then later have it upgraded with the Katalyst board, which you can’t with a renew route. 

• Like 1

@wHIZZY  9designs is right. You really need to know whether this is a DS or DSM as well as which version and how old (i.e. how much, if any, of the 5 year guarantee period remains) it is before deciding whether the £1500 is a good price. I suspect that it will be a  /0 DSM board (or a /1 DS), and they are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Katalyst has in many ways changed the cost-benefit of Renews, because they are not upgradeable. For many people, a full spec Akurate DSM/0, which can be upgraded to Katalyst, will be the better (albeit more expensive) buy.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 12:27, 9designs said:

DS or DSM version required?    If you only need a DS then for that sort of money you could get a proper Akurate DS, then later have it upgraded with the Katalyst board, which you can’t with a renew route. 

Please bear with me as I'm new to Linn and must admit to being totally perplexed by the the Linn model IDs. The version I am trying at the moment is a Akurate Renew with Dynamik and is marked as Renew ADS/1 on the base. I am using it as a streamer feeding active speakers and am very pleased with the sound quality. I suppose what I'm asking is could I do a lot better for around the same money (£1500) with a different model when still using my existing speakers. 

Edited by wHIZZY

You don't see many Akurate Renews as there's not the same scope for selling them off to pay for the upgrade as compared to a KRDS.  So people who opt for an Akurate Renew do it mainly because they want to keep it themselves, for a second system perhaps.   I haven't checked but I believe it costs about the same to have an ARDS made during an upgrade as is does to have a KRDS made - after all, it's simply a case of putting your old board into a new box with a new psu.

On that basis, I suspect that £1500 is a bit steep for an ARDS so I'd probably wait for a KRDS if it were me.  A /1 means no Exakt socket, so you have no paths to upgrade other than selling it on.  Bear in mind also that Linn have now discontinued the Ds line, so even buying a second hand ADS or KDS with a view to having it upgraded later is questionable as we don't know how long Linn will continue to offer Katalyst upgrades for the Ds models.

If you're happy with it and happy with the price, go for it.  Does seem a bit steep to me, but then I'm not familiar with the market - and as above, Akurate Renews are a bit of a rarity.

• Like 1

@wHIZZY The first thing is: do you like the sound of the ADS/1 you are trying? If you do, bear in mind that this is a rather old, non upgradable model without the display and front panel buttons of parent DS. If those things don't matter to you, I'd tend to regard £1,500 as being at the upper end of the acceptable price range, so a bit of negotiation might be in order.

I now see that phino has replied in similar terms. I agree with the other points he makes.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

There is a Klimax RDS/1 for £2000 so I'd say £1500 is a bit steep for an ARDS/1.

As others have said it depends very much on what you mean by "better results". It would sound better, but a ADS/3 would be better still - and you can get there with a ADS/0 and upgrade it (something you'd never be able to achieve with a Renew).

• Like 1

When I looked to sell my ADS/0  going rate seemed to be down to £1000.    Add the £1800 upgrade and you have the very  latest and far better sounding machine. 

So I kept mine and did the DS to DSM upgrade, that has now closed and was only for original owners.   So now I have a brand new £7500 ADSM Katalyst for a £3K upgrade! 

1 hour ago, 9designs said:

When I looked to sell my ADS/0  going rate seemed to be down to £1000.    Add the £1800 upgrade and you have the very  latest and far better sounding machine. 

So I kept mine and did the DS to DSM upgrade, that has now closed and was only for original owners.   So now I have a brand new £7500 ADSM Katalyst for a £3K upgrade! 

DS to DSM is available again. No idea why it wasn't for a while.

It closed on Feb 28.  Not expected to return 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, 9designs said:

It closed on Feb 28.  Not expected to return 

Was it announced somewhere, or maybe there’s a March 2019 price list I’ve not seen?

As told by Linn HQ and my dealer last week when I booked and collected mine.  Not everything gets “Announced “

• Like 1

Well they better bring out a March price list then pretty quick. It's on the February one - why have it in there if they knew it was disappearing at the end of the month?