FS: KRELL KAV-300i and KAV-300cd pair

Nopiano

Reluctant sale of my much loved Krell duo, owned by me from new.  Always used together powering a pair of Sonus Faber speakers which I sold last year.  Originally £6,000 for the pair, bought from Oxford Audio Consultants in late 1997.  Double-boxed manufacturer’s packaging, mains leads and original remote controls included for both items.  One remote control is in very good condition, the other has discoloured due to UV: both work properly with no dodgy buttons  

Modestly rated at 150 watts per channel, the KAV-300i is in pristine condition having always been housed in the middle of my rack.  Classic Krell finish of titanium and black, much nicer to my eyes than the later shiny models.  Huge, wide-open sound, yet remarkably clear and detailed at low volumes.  Completely original, never serviced or in need of repair, it sounds terrific.  Balanced and unbalanced inputs, one pair of speaker outputs, a tape loop, and no headphone socket or tone controls. The facia is like new as the remote has been used for switching duties, avoiding finger marks, and all legends are engraved (not the type susceptible to wear). Comprehensive review here:- https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/809/index.html.  One of the more interesting quotes:- This isn't a Krell dreadnought, but it is more powerful than many other amplifiers, particularly in its dynamic capability. There's certainly no shortage of peak current. That 250W peak program, 8 ohms, grew to 400W peak into 4 ohms with 620W peak available into 2 ohms.

The matching CD player was more costly than the amp when new, and is unusual in being fully balanced from DACs to XLR outputs.  RCA unbalanced outputs also fitted.  It has twin Burr-Brown PCM1702K DACs and a HDCD decoder.  The display can even be turned off for fractionally clearer sound.  Packed full of components, unlike many CD players, it reputedly has over 300 transistors!   Unsurprisingly the two Krells complement each other with their big, dynamic sound.  The CD player is in very good condition, though has a faint scratch of the top panel (highlighted in one picture, below).  It was serviced about 8 years ago, when it stopped reading discs. It was looked at by the importers, Absolute Sounds, and returned with a quieter drawer than new, and reading discs perfectly.  It does make a slight whirring noise when loading, and CDs are pressed down by a clamping mechanism - this is as its maker intended!

Another Stereophile review here:-https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/638/index.html

And a typical quote:- It has an engaging brawniness, throws a heck of a soundstage, and has tons of nonfatiguing detail. If you're looking for a high-quality, reliable CD player that can show you exactly what's on a recording, look no further. The KAV-300cd should leap to the top of any must-audition list for an under-$5000 CD player.

Looking for £1,700 for the pair, including Wammers discount - REDUCED TO £1,550 on 20 March (there’s now an amp on sale for £750 elsewhere).  I’ll donate £100 to the Dogs Trust if sold by the 17 March at this price.  (There are currently two amps on eBay where the sellers are asking £995 and £1199.)   Would prefer to sell together, though will consider sensible offers for each.  I am bringing these to Kegworth unless sold beforehand.  In any case, I’m not intending to risk a courier as I would prefer you to see and/or hear and be sure of your purchase.  We can handover there, or by arrangement to suit.  

N.B. Also selling the Transparent Audio MusicLink Super balanced XLR cables to connect this duo for optimum results. Asking £325 for cables, originally retailed close to £1,000  “Special offer” for full package, £1,890 for Amp, CD and cables. CABLES SOLD 15 MARCH - so ‘special offer’ no longer available.

33435684668_81cfabe3da_b.jpg 40343452183_b94a550b21_b.jpg 46585089964_b10ff7e5be_b.jpg 32366597717_f45ba8997c_b.jpg 47258827402_5463b0fcc0_b.jpg 33432875958_e2a784c8a8_b.jpg Wavy line mark on top of Krell KAV-300 CD player 47311366071_26e3374e4c_b.jpg 33435684668_81cfabe3da_b.jpg Testing the Krell duo on my ATCs Krell KAV300cd player

Edited by Nopiano
Cables sold, so edited original post. Price reduced 20 March.
  • Like 2

Now on eBay for £1799.  

Here is a picture in daylight of the spare remote which is in excellent used condition.  I used the first one for about fifteen years, hence the UV marking, then swapped to the second.  They are interchangeable and therefore you only need one for both devices.  The amp and CD commands are selectable where the function buttons do similar things, like select input 1or select track 1.  

A curiosity on the amp is the inputs are labelled B-1 for balanced (XLR), and S-1 to S-3 for single ended (normal RCA phono sockets). This means it doesn’t betray its age with labels like Tuner, iPod, or Video, like so many products  

40B0A875-2F5D-4674-8025-50473317A611.thumb.jpeg.102a800986126074ba32aa5c2d61a0f3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Updated with the picture that, on my iPad at least, gives the best representation of the actual finish. 

9D7E517F-41A2-4BAE-9FB6-AF6E7BB7188D.thumb.jpeg.f50d7dbf06e734f46ca3ac8c629c7e67.jpeg

• Like 1

Reduced to £1619 on eBay.  Wammers price now £1550.  

Sold via eBay, subject to handover on Sunday.  

Did they pay via PayPal or is it cash ?

If PayPal be wary of the 'non delivery' scam 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mikeyb said:

Did they pay via PayPal or is it cash ?

If PayPal be wary of the 'non delivery' scam 

Thanks very much for your concern.  It’s my biggest value sale so I’ve been cautious.  

It’s to be cash.  He has a 100% rep with over 4,000 transactions, including recent purchases from several well known Hi-Fi sources like Peter Tyson and Hi-Fi Hangar.  We’ve spoken too, so I’m as convinced as I can be that he’s genuine.  

1 minute ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks very much for your concern.  It’s my biggest value sale so I’ve been cautious.  

It’s to be cash.  He has a 100% rep with over 4,000 transactions, including recent purchases from several well known Hi-Fi sources like Peter Tyson and Hi-Fi Hangar.  We’ve spoken too, so I’m as convinced as I can be that he’s genuine.  

Cool, sounds like you've thought of everything you need to be safe ☺️

• Like 1