AppleTV4K and Linn HDMI board problems

Hi !

I have an Akurate Exakt with HDMI 2.0 where I connect: Appletv4K, Nvidia Shield and Sky Q and a LG Oled B7 65”.

Sky Q works fine but Atv4k (set to 4K and Dolby Vision or HDR) and Nvidia Shield (set to 4K, 12 bit and 4.2.2) have vision problems (coloured pixels on black area; the TV doesn’t show any image after some seconds or minutes). If I connect the Atv4K or the Nvidia Shield directly to the tv I have no problems at all.

I tried with different HDMI cables (all 18Gbit and Dolby Vision certified cables) and the result is always the same.

Did any fellow member of the forum experimented the same issues ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is the unit HDCP 2.2 compliant?

If not, that may be the source of your problems. Apple 4K TV relies on a HDCP 2.2 coherent ‘chain’ from source (Apple TV) to TV. If anything in-between isn’t HDCP 2.2, then you’ve got problems... 

I have the an Exakt System Hub with ATV 4K as well and I think it is due to Dolby Vision. For me HDR works but Dolby Vision gives black spots in the darker parts of the picture. Another problem is that it is not possible to lock codec to input. If I have set Neo6 for HDMI watching movies maybe I don't like to be on for the next HDMI input when I'm playing just stereo disc in my Bluray player. And it is just possible via Konfig to switch settings, not via the remote. Most annoying.

52 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Is the unit HDCP 2.2 compliant?

If not, that may be the source of your problems. Apple 4K TV relies on a HDCP 2.2 coherent ‘chain’ from source (Apple TV) to TV. If anything in-between isn’t HDCP 2.2, then you’ve got problems... 

Yes the unit is hdcp 2.2 compliant.

13 minutes ago, Harryup said:

I have the an Exakt System Hub with ATV 4K as well and I think it is due to Dolby Vision. For me HDR works but Dolby Vision gives black spots in the darker parts of the picture. Another problem is that it is not possible to lock codec to input. If I have set Neo6 for HDMI watching movies maybe I don't like to be on for the next HDMI input when I'm playing just stereo disc in my Bluray player. And it is just possible via Konfig to switch settings, not via the remote. Most annoying.

I also have the biggest problems with Atv4K set to Dolby Vision but the same happens with Nvidia Shield at the highest resolution (4K and 2.2.2 colors) so either my Linn unit is fault or the HDMI board can’t handle properly high bandwidth 

Edited by Fosfocreatina

10 hours ago, Fosfocreatina said:

I also have the biggest problems with Atv4K set to Dolby Vision but the same happens with Nvidia Shield at the highest resolution (4K and 2.2.2 colors) so either my Linn unit is fault or the HDMI board can’t handle properly high bandwidth 

You could try getting the ATV to run a video test, in the settings menu. I think it may be labelled ‘Test HDMI Cable’?

The ATV runs a series of tests, and then selects the most appropriate settings for refresh rate, chroma values etc. And I also think that anything between the ATV and the TV needs to be Dolby Vision compatible, if the ATV is going to send Dolby Vison to the TV, otherwise the ATV defaults to HDR10.

I had a similar problem with ATV when I went 4K last year, and in the end had to change my sound-bar. It’s also worth looking at the cable used from the ATV. There have been reports that the ATV is ‘fussy’ about the type/grade of HDMI cable used. Normal ‘High Speed’ HDMI cables should suffice, but some users have reported less compatibility issues when using a ‘Premium’ HDMI cable from the ATV.

Edited by kelly200269

Are your HDMI cables certified? Linn recommend using the ones here:

Linne [sic] recommend using HDMI Certified cables with these products.

I have tried several certified cables and that is another visual problem, like no picture at all.

Black spots in dark grey areas are Dolby Vision issues according to my tests. 

/Harry

I have an atv4k into a current spec KDSM as well as an Oppo 203. More times than I like the KDSM loses contact with the TV and I either have to switch sources or reboot it. All the kit is < 1 year old but my money is on the Linn HDMI board not being entirely bomb proof or indeed up to date.

I’ve not noticed any vision issues with the atv4k but then I have it set to match source/display on the advice of the TV calibrator. It still defaults to DV on Netflix and I did switch to DV light because Dark was just that.

I have an Akurate Hub, an OPPO 203, a BluSky TV HD box and an LG C8 65 inch 4K OLED TV less than 3 months old.

I use HDMI certified and tested HDMI 2.2 spec Wire Logic Sapphire HDMI cables.

Everything goes through my Akurate Hub (AEDSM).

I am using the latest Beta from Linn.

There are sometimes brief handshake issues when I switch from internet radio to TV or play 5.1 content such as BluRay, SACD or DVD-Audio discs.

The TV will go completely dark momentarily , but they usually resolve themselves after 10-15 seconds or so.

Since I got Katalyst (and the HDMI 2.0) for my ADSM I only use one HDMI-cable (Audioquest Cinnamon) between the ADSM and the ARC input on the tv. All the other gear is connected directly to the tv (Panasonic), and I never have any problems. Of course, I don't run any multi-channel stuff, so that may be why.

Edited by Tendaberry

On 15/03/2019 at 17:20, Tendaberry said:

Since I got Katalyst (and the HDMI 2.0) for my ADSM I only use one HDMI-cable (Audioquest Cinnamon) between the ADSM and the ARC input on the tv. All the other gear is connected directly to the tv (Panasonic), and I never have any problems. Of course, I don't run any multi-channel stuff, so that may be why.

Same here, but using Blue Jeans Cables HDMIs through out. 

I have an ATV 4K connected to my budget, ~£500, Yamaha AV Reciever using a ~£10 Neet HDMI lead from Amazon. It does 4:2:2 HDR10 pictures and DD 5.2.1 audio with no issues at all.

The setup will also do 4:4:4 from my 4K Blu-ray in HDR10 with no issues.

My 4K TV is older and only HDR10, so I can’t comment on the Dolby Vision issues. However, as my budget 4K audio processing box and cables can do everything the ATV 4K capable of with this limitation. So, I’d point to Linn or Dolby Vision as the issue.

My Linn stereo is audio connected by analogue only to my AV setup and does the L+R in unity gain. I have no other option anyway as it is only HDMI 1.3...