AlmaAtaKZ

Next show - Ideas for 'the challenge(s)'

I think it is rather good to have this kind of a side-theme going on at the shows as they add an extra dimension, particularly if they are challenges and if they are a bit unusual in some way.

Why don'we come up with some interesting options for the future show or shows in this thread?

Through your ideas in here...

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Upvote 1

How about limited budget next time with a few interesting parameters, such as.

£500 limit

must use bookshelf speakers

must have 2 sources

no subwoofer

something like that.

Edited by Spider
  • Upvote 3

What about a Charity Shop challenge- best system you can put together bought from charity or second hand shops for less than £100?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

How about limited budget next time with a few interesting parameters, such as.

£500 limit

must use bookshelf speakers

must have 2 sources

no subwoofer

something like that.

Beat me to the draw by a few seconds there!

• Upvote 1

One obviois variation is the extremes of budget, e.g. ‘50 quid challenge’

It can be combined with sourcing conditions, e.g. second hand, charity sale, salvage etc.

another variation can be time related, e.g. ‘5-day challenge’. The systems must be sourced (bought/made) starting no earler than the Monday preceding the show.

Being a near extinct group, we *need* to have a ‘millenial challenge’  - owner must have been born this century.

why not try a ‘WAF challenge’ - for the best looking and most living room and user friendly system, judged by a feemale-only panel (who must not only listen and look but also operate the system without guidance).

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Upvote 2

Continuation of the size related theme - ‘low cost airline challenge’ (must fit hand luggage envelope of at least one airline)

briefcase challenge

pocket system challenge

or, how about a garden system challenge? Must play music and grill sausages :-)

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would £50 include the cost of repairs or just the purchase price?

• Like 1

50 was just an example - of total budget. Could be any number and any conditions. 

But it needs to connect with smth Wam

like the suitcase challenge connects with public transport travellers to the show

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Bloody hell fella's, packing a system into a car, reassembling it in working order is a big enough challenge for most of us.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

My 2p worth

:Agree in principle with all of the above, but feel it should be kept relatively simple for everyone's sake, so rather than creating restrictions, I think a balanced scorecard approach would be better.  Systems should be awarded points using specific criteria skewed to reflect the challenge associated with each one, for e.g., 

From the top of my head:

* Source: :    Digital streaming  1 Pt,         CD player  2  Pts,       TT  3 Pts

* Anplification:      Integrated 1 Pt,     Pre & Stereo Power, 2 Pts,      Pre & mono power amps 3Pts

* Speakers:   Active    1 Pt,      Passive      2 Pts

* Value for Money:   Deduct 0.25 of a  point from final score for every £50 the (total) system costs.   

* Visual Presentation: (non sexist WAF):   From 1 to 5 points depending on neatness, visual appeal etc, 1 point being messy and tatty, 5 points being jaw-droppingly stunning

* Sound Quality:  Between 1 and 10 points,  with a wider judging panel, each judge awarding their own score

* DIY:  2 points for each DIY source, ampflifier/speakers.   1 point for each other DIY element (stands, cables etc)

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Brigadoon said:

My 2p worth

:Agree in principle with all of the above, but feel it should be kept relatively simple for everyone's sake, so rather than creating restrictions, I think a balanced scorecard approach would be better.  Systems should be awarded points using specific criteria skewed to reflect the challenge associated with each one, for e.g., 

From the top of my head:

* Source: :    Digital streaming  1 Pt,         CD player  2  Pts,       TT  3 Pts

* Anplification:      Integrated 1 Pt,     Pre & Stereo Power, 2 Pts,      Pre & mono power amps 3Pts

* Value for Money:   Deduct 0.25 of a  point from final score for every £50 the (total) system costs.   

* Visual Presentation: (non sexist WAF):   From 1 to 5 points depending on neatness, visual appeal etc, 1 point being messy and tatty, 5 points being jaw-droppingly stunning

* Sound Quality:  Between 1 and 10 points,  with a wider judging panel, each judge awarding their own score

* DIY:  2 points for each DIY source, ampflifier/speakers.   1 point for each other DIY element (stands, cables etc)

Yes. That sounds simple.......:D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brigadoon said:

My 2p worth

From the top of my head:

When you say ‘relatively simple’ is that in comparison to quantum physics? 😀

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

And of course there is no bias at all in that points system :whistle:

• Haha 1

Any interest in an AV project? Perhaps a joint effort from 2-3 people?

Take a large room and set up an AV system: 7 or more channels, maybe Atmos, 2 or more powerful subs, big speakers, room correction, big screen and projector, a few sources.

BUT - no movies, music videos only!  

I could contribute to this one possibly. 

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Upvote 2

The James Watt challenge

Any system goes. Must be powered via one power socket. Measure power drawn at full musical output (clamp meter). The highest wattage wins.

What can go wrong?  

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Haha 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.