HiFiWigwam

2020 Spreadsheet Now Live

1 minute ago, dangermouse said:

I would hope that that is an observation, rather than an excuse or a justification.

It was a statement of fact.

I don't understand why the Show website hasn't been updated with even basic information like date, location and ticket information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian917 said:

I don't understand why the Show website hasn't been updated with even basic information like date, location and ticket information.

For a newbie like me even the title of this thread is misleading as it indicates that the show starts on the Saturday, where as I believe that's the day for exhibitors to set up their systems. Whatever, I'm hoping to be there on the Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stunsworth said:

For a newbie like me even the title of this thread is misleading as it indicates that the show starts on the Saturday, where as I believe that's the day for exhibitors to set up their systems. Whatever, I'm hoping to be there on the Sunday.

Slight correction, the title of this section of the forum, not this thread.

3 minutes ago, Stunsworth said:

Slight correction, the title of this section of the forum, not this thread.

Yes it is , I'll get the boss to change it , Moderators can't alter forum titles .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 22/01/2020 at 11:43, Bazzer said:

Yes it is , I'll get the boss to change it , Moderators can't alter forum titles .

Please also encourage the updating of the show website.  There's been about 8 months of opportunity already :)

Super Wammer

I think you mean 8 months of LOST opportunity. 

I am going to post this on PFM.

Guys,

As I said earlier all is in hand. I have been in e-mail discussion with the owner and all is good and either being done or planned. Yes the hotel is booked as is the support from the hotel.The participant's Spreadsheet has many names on it and it is going to be a very full show with very varied systems, as always. The Wam Show 2020 web page is being planned and will be up in time, remember last year it was in place in the middle Feb.

So if you are making plans to visit/participate then carry on.

The members put a huge amount of effort into organising their systems to be ready and available for the show. This effort is appreciated by the owner and the people who attend as the atmosphere is always very friendly. Most of the participants will be more than happy to play your music,if you ask nicely. As always the participants are always willing to talk about their systems and give you a 'real person's view' about the equipment. They are not salesmen.

Right, just need to organise the weather as we do not want any snow!

• Upvote 2

Admin

Thank you George for the note above on here and PFM.....they have been busy. I fully understand the need for information and everything will be ready on Saturday 1st Feb. The show was a sell out not long after last years event which was a huge success and we have plenty of time to make sure all rooms are allocated properly and the BIG Systems are given the correct space.

It is and will remain the most unique event of its kind anywhere in the world, showcasing the best of hifi sound by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. It's trademark, a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where friends get together and play immense music through amazing systems.

The reason why I have put both Saturday and Sunday is that we have an increasing amount of visitors who want to come and see/listen to the set up (which we all agree is the fun day.....night!!) Some of you even make it a three day event, well why not? I believe in flexibility and as I book the hotel for two full days, there is availability on the Friday too and more are enquiring every year.

As per last year no tickets are issued, you simply turn up and pay at the door and as ever there is FREE PARKING.

Payment for rooms etc. as per last year will be via BACS and the spreadsheet which along with an updated site will be available on Saturday 1st Feb

Friday 13th - Turn up and have a great dinner and a few beers with the early doors crowd, book through me via PM
Saturday 14th - Set up, help with lifting gear, have a few beers, watch the rugby, listen to some great sounds, food and banter (Open to anyone who pays Sundays entrance fee if not exhibiting)
Sunday 15th - Open to the public, massive sell out event, then for our fantastic traditional curry (may need a bigger restaurant this year).
Monday 16th - Pack up and drive safely home

Hope that satisfies the grumpy old farts!! Can't quite believe (however I should know by now) all the negativity created by leaving it till now to get started. It means that its considered the most important event and that by leaving it to announce its already created a buzz.

Long live The Wam.

PS. Writing this while on morphine as just had one knee replaced and the other a half knee inserted yesterday.

• Upvote 5

thanks Peter much appreciated, hopefully you will recover quickly and be off the morphine by the Saturday night of the show otherwise it might bring a new dimension to normally sober night ;) 

Super Wammer

Thanks for the update Peter. 

I don't think its so much 'Grumpy Old Farts' and 'Negativity' but more a case of your (much appreciated) light touch on the Wam, leading to a lack of presence/feedback, on what's happening in the background. Whilst I and many others recognise that you have a life outside of the Wam, for us exhibitors, it can be quite disconcerting not knowing what's happening and why. 

The fact is, as exhibitors, we (along with yourself) are heavily invested in the success of the show and couldn't understand the lack of advanced advertising to potentially increase footfall on the day. Additionally there are the new members who, not knowing how to navigate the site properly, don't have any clue about its existence or what it's about. 

Maybe for the 2021 show a placeholder Web page could be put up with basic info (date, location, link to previous shows) and a comment that the site will be updated with full details in early Feb. Also possibly from Sept/Oct a brief monthly bulletin from yourself either directly, or via the Mods to keep us GOFs happy. 

In the meantime hope your post op recovery goes well and look forward to seeing you in March. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HiFiWigwam said:

Thank you George for the note above on here and PFM.....they have been busy. I fully understand the need for information and everything will be ready on Saturday 1st Feb. The show was a sell out not long after last years event which was a huge success and we have plenty of time to make sure all rooms are allocated properly and the BIG Systems are given the correct space.

Thank you for the update and I wish you a speedy and successful recovery from the knee ops.

Whilst most who have signed up to exhibit in a regular room can be fairly certain they will be allocated a space, the large room spaces seem over subscribed. Ultimately, and understandably, the final call on the allocations will come from the show organisers but can you give any extra comment on the following;

How many large rooms will be available this year ? Are any reserved for traders? Is the dining room also available?

is there any merit in the potential Large room exhibitors discussing between ourselves room allocation preference, room share possibilities etc?

From my own perspective, exhibiting vs just visiting means booking different nights to stay in a hotel, booking extra days off work, hiring a van, sourcing additional cabling and finding someone to help me over the weekend. If we will know for sure one way or the other on 1st Feb then I can work with that, but if it would be helpful for that extra discussion between potential exhibitors, then I think we should start that now.

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi, Hoping to have a room this year. What are the catering arrangements? last year attended on Sunday as a visitor, only seemed to be burgers served in the bar at lunch time?

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, dave said:

Hi, Hoping to have a room this year. What are the catering arrangements? last year attended on Sunday as a visitor, only seemed to be burgers served in the bar at lunch time?

In the past it was bar meals. Burger, curry, chilli, lasagna quiche, etc. Whilst some also popped into town (10 min walk) for a bite to eat on the Saturday night. 

Edited by Lurch

18 minutes ago, dave said:

most exhibitors never get a chance to eat during the show day so we are not best placed to answer

31 minutes ago, Maverick said:

most exhibitors never get a chance to eat during the show day so we are not best placed to answer

been there, done that.....

37 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Whilst some also popped into town (10 min walk) for a bite to eat

Did that on Sunday lunch time, not overwhelmed. I think I'll stock up on provisions.