JANDL100

Headphone Heaven

Comfort is important for me, but sq more so.  Both boxes need to be ticked.

All of mine are circumaural, I can't seem to tolerate any pressure on my ears for longer than about 5 minutes.

Can Jam - nope, never heard of it.  Wassat then?

15 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Comfort is important for me, but sq more so.  Both boxes need to be ticked.

All of mine are circumaural, I can't seem to tolerate any pressure on my ears for longer than about 5 minutes.

Can Jam - nope, never heard of it.  Wassat then?

Yes they both have to tick boxes comfort and sound, but I tend to favour the comfort as I just cant tolerate things if my ears get over warm, or something's taking my attention away from the music/audio, and I do tend to wear them for extended periods at times.

Can Jam is just a big trade show where all the makers get together to sell / show off their gear. I been meaning to go for a few years but never have. The only one they have is in the London in the UK but I'm pretty sure its worldwide. I was up for going this year but I had car trouble and had to cancel, and a train ride from way down west where I live is/would have been more trouble than it was worth so unfortunately I've yet to attend. I really wanted to go and just lose myself exploring and see if I could find some new long term keepers that suit my needs. Plus there's a chance to hear some of the all time great such as Sennheiser Orpheus. But who know if we'll ever see these type of event for some time again, or if ever even?

Nice setup Jerry. Always good to have plenty of choice and options.

Posted (edited)

My goodness, these are nice.

172f68a50e3944ecb541dbf577125c3f.jpeg

They perform waaaaay beyond their price band.  Crazy good new at £90, quite ridiculous.  A lot less than that used, like mine.

Tonally full range , deeep taut but not exaggerated bass, clear and open mids, sparkly but not forward top end.  Great vocals - playing London Grammar atm, just lovely.
Go seriously LOUD without harshness.  Very pacy and rhythmic.
Very good clarity.

Looking for flaws, they are a bit coloured in the mids, there is a slight 'cupped mouth' honk on some material.

Semi-open back. Nicely spacious sound but a bit intrusive for others in the room.

They seem well and robustly made.

Very cumfy indeed.

SIVGA SV004 Rosewood. Chinese design as well as manufacture!

These have made a much more expensive pair of German origin superfluous. Now on eBay!

Edited by JANDL100

On 04/07/2020 at 14:09, JANDL100 said:

They perform waaaaay beyond their price band.  Crazy good new at £90, quite ridiculous.  A lot less than that used, like mine.

Tonally full range , deeep taut but not exaggerated bass, clear and open mids, sparkly but not forward top end.  Great vocals - playing London Grammar atm, just lovely.
Very good clarity.

Looking for flaws, they are a bit coloured in the mids, there is a slight 'cupped mouth' honk on some material.

Semi-open back. Nicely spacious sound but a bit intrusive for others in the room.

Very cumfy indeed.

These have made a much more expensive pair of German origin superfluous. Now on eBay!

These look interesting. Looking on Amazon there is a  SV004, SV005, SV006and SV007

Do you know what the differences are?

I think they are basically similar designs, but with wireless, noise reduction, closed back options added.

On 04/07/2020 at 14:09, JANDL100 said:

Very good clarity.

Very cumfy indeed.

I love these cheaper products that come in and just sound great. The trouble is the audiophile world is full of products which has name and reputation and people go mad for that. LS3/5As are one, excellent at what they do but people pay over the odds and are just go mad for them. I feel the audio world is more open now though in some ways with the Internet and things such as these can be had without the huge price tag which are just as good as much higher priced headphones. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

I love these cheaper products that come in and just sound great. The trouble is the audiophile world is full of products which has name and reputation and people go mad for that. LS3/5As are one, excellent at what they do but people pay over the odds and are just go mad for them. I feel the audio world is more open now though in some ways with the Internet and things such as these can be had without the huge price tag which are just as good as much higher priced headphones. 

Haha!  - yes, you should have bought those Kralk BC30 speakers! ;)  Just as good as LS3/5a, maybe better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Haha!  - yes, you should have bought those Kralk BC30 speakers! ;)  Just as good as LS3/5a, maybe better.

Oh don't Jerry, I'm kicking myself a little about that even though it would have been a risk as Ive never heard them. I'm thinking of embarking on a project very soon anyway. I'm going to make an LS3/5A from scratch, it's not difficult, yet I'm going to be very sneaky about it. Next Kegworth I'll throw it to the wolves and see how it stacks up against these little £1500-3000 boxes. Let's see who the mugs (or not) in audio are :) The Kralk did look good though, I may look for another set. I have seen them go for less than that even. 

Currently enjoying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over-ears.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-ear review | What Hi-Fi?

I was curious about the rave reviews and wanted to hear for myself.
Yes, they really are good.
Accuracy tempered with a hint of austerity - less than succulent in the mids with a touch of starkness, but well balanced and neutral overall. Nicely spacious sounding for a closed back.  Very good clarity.  I guess they come closer to my view of monitoring cans than others I have had.
They have a bit of a "cheap" feel about them somehow, but are cumfy enough for long listening sessions even though the earpads feel less than luxuriant.

Excellent value at used prices.

Given the surprising success of the over-ears I also tried the Momentum In-ears, but I didn't get on with them.  Good clarity and a broadly similar sound to the over-ear but, for my classical music tastes, a bit hyped up in the treble.  Great on rock, really quite an exciting listen, but a bit raw and forward on violins, so no good for me.

I've been exploring the wonderful world of Bluetooth technology recently and have become quite enamoured with it. 

A pair of B&O H7 Bluetooth headphones came along yesterday. 

They are good.
Pretty much the same as the H6 in sound signature, and they are one of my favourites.

I'm getting used to the touch panel on the right earcup - a centre tap pauses and restarts the music, a swirling motion round the outer edge raises/lowers the volume, a lateral swipe moves on a track.
Neat. But it seems quite easy to inadvertently pause the music if the earcup brushes against a chair or pillow.

There is a fairly faint swish of noise, quite easily heard when the music is quiet. That's a bit disappointing, it's not a Bluetooth thing as it doesn't occur when using Bluetooth with my speaker setup. It's very obvious when the music is paused, as the signal is muted about a second later and the noise then cuts off to silence.

So, I don't think these will be my first choice of cans because of the background swish, but keepers nonetheless for music on the move when a cable is an inconvenience.

image.png.a314d5652cc0fa0ddb9864d0c1936798.png

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1