Sub bass & bass Speakers with 18" Volt RV4564 drivers

5 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Glorious day here though a bit cool ...ideal weather to start on the cladding .....but I finally got my COVID jab yesterday and today I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck pair of DIY bass bins

Fixed that for you.

Hope it doesn't last too long - in any event, its better than getting the bug!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After acquiring a pair of bass speakers fitted with Volt RV4564 drivers from eBay, the challenge now is to make them more aesthetically pleasing, if I make new cabinets - not to go too big, tune the e

Keith are you sure that you need two of those? I believe that Jane will find an appropriate use for the one that is built as I'm sure you will fit in it easily. Was it wise to provided the spade?

As it was too hot in the garden today to either sit out or mow/strim etc I thought I'd add some tie rods to the rear baffle of the cabinets.  Given that the 18" driver occupies a large portion of the

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Back of form today and had a couple of hours to make a start.  Triple checking all measurements before I cut etc and then try out a test machining of the rounded edge on the board .....even with a brand new Trend router bit the wood is so hard it can easily split along the grain - good control of the speed of the cutter and feed rate is essential.

Got one edge sorted ...then my router kept dropping speed and lots of vibration and eventually wouldn’t  run over half speed .....arrrrggggghhhhh

My router is 20 yrs old and a NuTool brand so I’ve prob had more than value fir money from it - but sods law it happened this weekend.  Off to Tool Station now to pick up another 1/2” cheapie router in the hope this lasts 20 years too

Edited by MF 1000
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Back of form today and had a couple of hours to make a start.  Triple checking all measurements before I cut etc and then try out a test machining of the rounded edge on the board .....even with a brand new Trend router bit the wood is so hard it can easily split along the grain - good control of the speed of the cutter and feed rate is essential.

Got one edge sorted ...then my router kept dropping speed and lots of vibration and eventually wouldn’t  run over half speed .....arrrrggggghhhhh

My router is 20 yrs old and a NuTool brand so I’ve prob had more than value fir money from it - but sods law it happened this weekend.  Off to Tool Station now to pick up another 1/2” cheapie router in the hope this lasts 20 years too

It's always worth checking the brushes, it sounds like they are not touching now, I have a 25 year old nutool bench grinder that I've used with a polishing spindle on it, it's had alot of use and is still going strong. I spend days at a time polishing old motorbike parts, I restored quite a few over the years

• Upvote 1

Thanks Steve ....I’ll have a check on them and in sure there’s a spare pair in the case 

• Upvote 1

Got the new router from Toolstation and set it up in my router table this morning.

Started with a few test cuts on some MDF to check for a 90 Deg cut face etc and then ran a test cut on one if the boards that won’t need to be full width.  Strange stuff this balau ...vv dense but you can only machine less than 1mm at a time otherwise it can split and even chip out at the end of a piece....after some trial & error multiple passes shaving around 0.5mm per cut flipping the board each time.  Tedious process but one that allows me to remove the rounded over edges on these boards originally meant for high end decking.

Processed 4 short boards to form the front baffle on one of the top mounted monitors and cut 2 x size 20 biscuit joints in each board to join them.  Glued up with gorilla wood glue and then clamped up 

613C9149-3D5D-45ED-9124-DA51577974C9.jpeg.a6267ea65640acaa5086f5ead8cdc19b.jpeg

inserted a piece of Janes baking parchment between the top & bottom clamp boards and the balau to stop any excess glue sticking the wrong bits etc and loads of clamps to ensure a flat well jointed board.

Tomorrow I hope to cut out the driver holes, sand finish the board and maybe have it test mounted on the cabinet.

• Like 2

Spent today ...after the snow showers !!  cutting out the drive holes for the three drivers and sorting how to fix the cladding to the inner baffle.  A couple of screws from the inside of the cabinet to hold the balau board stable and the cap head bolts that hold in the Volt and soft dome midrange act as the main fixings, though once I’ve got the cladding for all 5 sides sorted I’ll also glue it in place.

Couldnt resist a quick sand down and a couple of coats of the Canadian cedar danish oil before refitting the drivers and moving it back into the lounge.

74797BC1-D4E4-47F3-A70E-7DD7442AB809.jpeg.68e090215bf875520e52862be35b2202.jpeg

ignore the edges of the baffle as these are left like this until the side cladding is fitted and then will be routed flush and maybe a chamfer too.

426FCB6C-C1CA-4C86-AE2D-5DFC9B41749B.jpeg.ac86dc3e032a0ad6cacd793e7de21dc1.jpeg

the combination of the balau and cedar oil looks really good ....no wax yet as some more sanding and minor joint filling to do once the whole cabinet is clad.

• Like 4

Are you making grills for the completed project Keith? Be tempted to make some see through type covers on those, keep the dust off cones a bit at least. Of course it's not really a necessity, certainly always personal preference anyway. They going to be pretty special when you done the work though (and a lot of work by the looks). 

Had issues with the joints on the front baffle so had to take two pieces apart and reglue them yesterday.  This morning cut, trimmed and biscuit jointed the top part of the cabinet ....this time using plenty of glue and lots of clamps 

FA867927-99EC-4381-8261-9156BC61AEA3.jpeg.9b4cf14db27908b211ebfcb01650878f.jpeg

drying in the warm sun now ...but only 6 deg here 

• Like 2

Top plate now fully glued, quick sanding and a coat of oil then a test fit on the cabinet 

0A2F497C-2E01-4499-84C8-144B437A1D56.jpeg.ff9bf596bc0793bc5e305130edde91f3.jpeg 92B7C877-21E7-4B18-9F48-E887E4875C62.jpeg.8f17acc550a5576b830577d5ce60c2ab.jpeg

the rhs yet to be trimmed etc 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Whilst browsing I found a studio monitor company who manufacture a passive sub using the 18” Volt driver 

https://studiocare.com/collections/quested/products/quested-qsb118-passive-18-sub

a bit more vol than my design and twin ports but interesting to see they use 22mm MDF.....once finished my wall thickness will be 30mm MDF plus 21mm hardwood and I estimate weighing in at approx 150Kg too ! 

At £3k each I’m still well ahead on cost as my current spend is around £800 each 😁

• Like 3
On 03/04/2021 at 13:33, MF 1000 said:

On 03/04/2021 at 14:03, steve 57 said:

It's always worth checking the brushes, it sounds like they are not touching now, I have a 25 year old nutool bench grinder that I've used with a polishing spindle on it, it's had alot of use and is still going strong. I spend days at a time polishing old motorbike parts, I restored quite a few over the years

Really nice job I'm impressed. My angle grinder is a Nutool  Macro special 30 ish years old came with spare brushes which have been replaced at least once, Nutool electric tools usually had screw out cups on the sides to facilitate replacement also re grease if possible.   

2 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Whilst browsing I found a studio monitor company who manufacture a passive sub using the 18” Volt driver 

https://studiocare.com/collections/quested/products/quested-qsb118-passive-18-sub

a bit more vol than my design and twin ports but interesting to see they use 22mm MDF.....once finished my wall thickness will be 30mm MDF plus 21mm hardwood and I estimate weighing in at approx 150Kg too ! 

At £3k each I’m still well ahead on cost as my current spend is around £800 each 😁

Yours are almost 3x the weight 😂 that can never be a bad thing when it comes to low end. 

Between rain showers over the weekend I managed to roughly complete the monitor cladding on one unit (final edge routing needed then the 18mm plywood rear cladding - to be painted back to be done yet) and joint up the top & bottom boards for the bass cabinets.  The top board was simply placed on top of the bass cabinet as I’ll only screw them into place once I’ve made all 5 ‘sides’ etc.  

Today I placed the bottom board under the cabinet with my simple 300mm mdf ‘foot’ for the cabinet between the balau and my engineered wood floor.  I put on Tango in the night by Flettwood Mac and immediately noticed a difference ....tighter bass & midrange and a very focussed soundstage.  A quick swap to the bass heavy Touch CD by Yello and the difference was even more marked.

A quick feel of the monitor pointed me in the direction of vibration ......or lack of it in the monitor since I ‘fitted’ ( no screws/glue as yet)  the balau to the base of the bass cabinet.  A quick check with a vibration app on my iPhone gave the graphs below 

D6C7A9F8-C5C0-4E2B-AB39-D1688FDB32F1.jpeg.64c9c65c9f84a88671c37e9bb298b1d9.jpeg 

This is the LHS speaker setup (no cladding and the older bass cab setup) ....lots of energy around 35Hz and upwards.

2FE33DDE-BF6E-44E2-800E-0DD2682FCCD1.jpeg.78024331978e80d0903cd66cca9365d0.jpeg

now this is on the RHS setup with the balau top/ bottom of a much more effective bass speaker.  The difference is remarkable ....and I did the measurements using the same 30 sec intro to the same track etc.  Never been one for thinking there was much to be gained from various suggested boards/woods under speakers etc ....but this has astonished me.  I can only guess what the effects will be once the cabs are fully glued/screwed etc with the balau but so far it’s effects are significant.

watch this space 

• Like 2

I know bamboo chopping boards were an ‘in thing’ ....just looked at thier density ...700 Kg/m3 ....this balau is 1060 Kg/m3 so the 30% extra density must be a driver ....to put it in context marble is 2500 Kg/m3 

• Upvote 1