Speaker stand suggestions

daws0n

I have recently acquired some large eclipse single driver speakers. They have built in desktop stands and are fussy about placement - they need to be ear height to sound their best.

I am supporting them via some open frame stands which are ideal but are a little too short... Also, the top plate is not large enough to accomodate such a large foot print (I doubt many conventional stands do).

To work around this I have up ended a couple of old kenwood bookshelf which make ideal bases size wise but I would like a neater solution... Any cheap and cheerful recommendations guys?

First thought was some acoustic foam (eg mopads) but I need about 8 inches of height.2396392494b95bce4bcf49c7678140b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

These Eclipse speakers have their own dedicated stands IIRC. Think you'll need to scan the tinterweb for the best deals.

However, given how unconventional these speakers are, try not to scrimp.

Those speakers look like they'd make great mashed potato!

• Haha 2

Haha! The size and weight makes them look like singing bowling balls.

The shape and material of the cab contributes a lot to the driver's output. Very coherent sound and deeper than expected bass response.... I'd usually expect a driver of this size to roll off sharp but these have a decent low end without needing a sub.

Certainly won't fill a large space unstrained but for a smallish listening they are pretty much perfect.

Super Wammer

An alternate to look at is a tall plant or Jardinere stand as these are often in pairs and if made from solid wood are just about right. They will also allow you to put monting plate betwen the speakers and the stand to ensure it is fully supported and has a solid fixing.

To be fair using old kenwoods as bases is doing the job well - they will do for now I reckon.

If anyone is interested in single driver designs the td512s are well worth a listen. My hearing has trailed off about 14khz now so I am not missing a dedicated tweeter all that much....

Coupled with a estoric anchor system and custom cab the driver produces a surpsingly even handed sound.

• 2 weeks later...

A trip to a local boot sale and £4 later I have sorted the small top plate issue... Got a set of granite slabs meant for the dining table - perfect rectangular size and with a bit of white tac adhesive are making for decent toppers

Ditched the kenwood and looking much smarter now.... One slab per speaker is enough but am thinking of adding another on top and sandwiching some acoustic isolation foam in between them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Acoustic-Isolation-Foam-Pads-28-x-23-x-2cm-/183025605533

Worth a go?

• 3 weeks later...

This stuff has finished the job off nicely - wedged between two of said slabs the isolation foam is strong enough to take the weight of the speakers and rises them to ideal listening height.

It's of decent quality and doesn't feel much different from the auralex mopads I have. It's not slippery either so no chance of the speakers getting knocked over.

Pleasing results for minimal outlay b3860608a7601f3e8072256ac6404e53.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2019 at 17:37, daws0n said:

This stuff has finished the job off nicely - wedged between two of said slabs the isolation foam is strong enough to take the weight of the speakers and rises them to ideal listening height.

It's of decent quality and doesn't feel much different from the auralex mopads I have. It's not slippery either so no chance of the speakers getting knocked over.

Pleasing results for minimal outlay emoji5.pngb3860608a7601f3e8072256ac6404e53.jpg

I think my white gloss Atacama stands would look very nice with these...

This is the stuff...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-Sponge-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Acoustic-Insulation-Foam-Insulator-Pads-3-6I/233237749383

It's pretty much a perfect fit for the table set slabs you get at the supermarket. Rotated 45 degrees they'd work just as for conventional bookshelf speakers and will provide a larger base for a speaker to sit on. With the weight of the cabinet on top, the foam doesn't move at all.

We are using floorstanders downstairs which are spiked onto larger "chopping board" granite slabs to save marking the floor. I am thinking the same prinicpal could be work for isolating those too from the ground up.