What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Sounds like quite a trip - where abouts in the world are you right now?

Haha..thanks lost win...sailing off the Somalia coast now. Heading back to the USA :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer

All second hand.
Oracle Mk1, SDS inner SS disc/Les Davis Audio magic platter mat, Audiomods IV, Rega Apheta2 under a copper shim.

The cart sounded pants when first put in but shim/Carver MC SUT with 100 Ohm load resolved those issues.

For the cost of the bits sounding not too shabby at less than 1/10th the cost of the Viridia/Tri-planar/ Kondo Jp Io which out does it on every front to be fair.

As this is SWMBO’s TT though not bad at all on the main system. Happy bunny. Taken a few years to get it to sound right across the spectrum from Judie Tzuke/ David Bowie/ Kraftwerk / Free/ Grace Jones.

IMG_0363.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Finally managed to get the plinth I wanted for my 401, totally worth the wait though. Also another new toy on the rack too!

IMGP8768.JPG

IMGP8777.JPG

IMGP8772.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Finally managed to get the plinth I wanted for my 401, totally worth the wait though. Also another new toy on the rack too!

IMGP8768.JPG

IMGP8777.JPG

IMGP8772.JPG

Very striking finish for the plinth, did you have it commissioned and built for you?

I take it that the Vida is new as well. Would be interested to get your thoughts on the difference with and without the SUT in the chain, assuming the Vida has an appropriate loading for your cart.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Speedracer said:

IMGP8768.JPG

IMGP8777.JPG

IMGP8772.JPG

Wow...that new plinth is lovely. Please may I know where you sourced it from..thanks 

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, lostwin said:

Very striking finish for the plinth, did you have it commissioned and built for you?

I take it that the Vida is new as well. Would be interested to get your thoughts on the difference with and without the SUT in the chain, assuming the Vida has an appropriate loading for your cart.

Hi Richard, not commissioned exactly he is a seller on ebay, das.plinth based in Hungary, & does offer this finish but usually only onto larger plinths requiring two 'arms, but I managed to talk him into doing this smaller one for me. In an ideal world I would have gone for the larger one as I do like my mono records, but I just don't have the space unfortunately.

I haven't tried the Vida with a SUT to be honest, but I will get a chance to do so in the next few days, I will let you know my thoughts if you are interested?

• Like 1

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Wow...that new plinth is lovely. Please may I know where you sourced it from..thanks 

Hi Manohar, thank you, please see my reply to Richard above for details. Like most things that have a high gloss finish it doesn't photograph well & looks much better in the flesh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

Hi Richard, not commissioned exactly he is a seller on ebay, das.plinth based in Hungary, & does offer this finish but usually only onto larger plinths requiring two 'arms, but I managed to talk him into doing this smaller one for me. In an ideal world I would have gone for the larger one as I do like my mono records, but I just don't have the space unfortunately.

I haven't tried the Vida with a SUT to be honest, but I will get a chance to do so in the next few days, I will let you know my thoughts if you are interested?

Re the Vida. Yes, would be interesting to get thoughts with and without the SUT. I read in one review that the Vida does its best work in the LCR part of the circuit but it was possible to improve on the gain circuits.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, lostwin said:

Re the Vida. Yes, would be interesting to get thoughts with and without the SUT. I read in one review that the Vida does its best work in the LCR part of the circuit but it was possible to improve on the gain circuits.

Yep. Last April I took my MFA SUT to Peters (Orbscure) place and we had a bit of fun using the mm stage in his amp, then a loan Vida and finally the Vida mm stag and my SUT using a Hana SL. The SUT feeding the amp was as detailed as the Vida but with more punch and bass weight. The Vida had more space, air and delicacy, I guess you could say it was more polite. But damn, the Vida MFA combo had it all, punch, weight, space air and delicacy. 

Though possibly this was due to the fact that the MFA could give the desired 400+ ohms the SL needed.

Edited by Lurch

9 hours ago, lostwin said:

What you think is a SUT on the rack is in fact a passive pre.

Can't remembeer if I posted this here..... Quite a bit of DIY, loving the First Watt M2X power amp.

DIY.thumb.jpg.85ebadf8274dc093ceaf343ed73ec1a6.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Batty said:

Can't remembeer if I posted this here..... Quite a bit of DIY, loving the First Watt M2X power amp.

I definitely remember that teetering tower, so you must have posted it because it give me the jitters at the time. Has it fallen over yet :nerves:

No, I dismantled some of it and swapped out the LP12.

On 23/07/2019 at 01:14, Batty said:

That's a lovely looking but precariously placed tower you have there batty :)

Would you mind giving a run down on the components in the chain. The wxc-50 is the only one that I can make out at moment :)

Super Wammer
On 21/07/2019 at 21:47, Speedracer said:

IMGP8768.JPG

IMGP8777.JPG

IMGP8772.JPG

Beautiful plinth!! Some questions if I may. I have a very heavy custom Lenco. What wall rack do you use? What screws and rawl plugs did you use? Was it a brick or plaster wall? Thanks