What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

@HouseElf your Sugden amp looks mad.:love:

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 17:13, Shakey_Studioincar said:

New deck turned up just in time for Christmas, all 57 Kilo's of it :x

49310842291_9a2b41e73e_z.jpg

Really happy with how it sits with the amps.

49310394543_170fe3a1df_z.jpg

Hopefully will get some decent hours on it over the next week or so. 

Not sure if you said anything before about these.But how are the special speakers sounding ?

Newly upgraded Croft 25r which now finds itself in two boxes. Only problem is that since sending it off for an upgrade, I have moved house and now find myself with the worst room acoustics ever (bass problems) coupled with the fact that whoever built this house must have used paper mache for the walls..

Absolute nightmare. It would seem I will have to purchase some cheap bookshelf speakers and reassess the situation. 1st world problems I know but a huge blow..

IMG-20200207-123913.jpg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ipsofacto said:

It would seem I will have to purchase some cheap bookshelf speakers and reassess the situation.

Is that because of concerns over disturbing neighbours through thin walls, or the bass problems? If it's the latter sort out some way of applying EQ to counter the effects (could be software or hardware depending on source).

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

Super Dealer

Bass issues are easily sorted, stopping transmission to neighbours much more difficult!

Keith

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Is that because of concerns over disturbing neighbours through thin walls, or the bass problems? If it's the latter sort out some way of applying EQ to counter the effects (could be software or hardware depending on source).

A bit of both I think. Current Tannoy's, even with the ports bunged, make the room shake so I think it will have to be bookshelf speakers which should allow me to crank up the volume. I think what is compounding the problem is that  in my last place I lived in an old stone cottage which was effectively bomb proof. I could play music at all hours and at a very unsociable level which, sadly, is the level which I have become accustomed to listening to! I'm sure with the passage of time I guess I will just get used to listening to 'background' music and forego 'critical listening' which, annoyingly, is in some ways the sole reason we are all into this hobby!

2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Bass issues are easily sorted, stopping transmission to neighbours much more difficult!

Keith

Next door have a dog that, when barks, may as well be in the same room as me! It's going to be interesting to say the least. I have four large acoustic panels that I own which I have put in the room already but I think the room will need some serious treating. I will know more once I get some smaller speakers.

I was discussing this earlier with my brother and he said 'you could always get headphones and just stare at your kit..' :D

2 minutes ago, Ipsofacto said:

I have four large acoustic panels that I own which I have put in the room already but I think the room will need some serious treating.

Be aware that sound-proofing and what can be done to improve room acoustics (like your panels) are completely different things. 

Have you bought or are you renting?

Super Dealer
8 minutes ago, Ipsofacto said:

A bit of both I think. Current Tannoy's, even with the ports bunged, make the room shake so I think it will have to be bookshelf speakers which should allow me to crank up the volume. I think what is compounding the problem is that  in my last place I lived in an old stone cottage which was effectively bomb proof. I could play music at all hours and at a very unsociable level which, sadly, is the level which I have become accustomed to listening to! I'm sure with the passage of time I guess I will just get used to listening to 'background' music and forego 'critical listening' which, annoyingly, is in some ways the sole reason we are all into this hobby!

Next door have a dog that, when barks, may as well be in the same room as me! It's going to be interesting to say the least. I have four large acoustic panels that I own which I have put in the room already but I think the room will need some serious treating. I will know more once I get some smaller speakers.

I was discussing this earlier with my brother and he said 'you could always get headphones and just stare at your kit..' :D

Measure with REW and a microphone , remove the bass peaks which ( may) be causing the shaking, at least you will enjoy nice tight bass even if it is slightly quieter than your old place.

Keith

EQ could also be used to apply a high-pass filter to the signal feeding the current speakers, effectively reducing their bass extension to behave more like smaller speakers. This approach would also mean that the EQ could be switched off if you know your neighbours are out...

Edited by MartinC

My new amp arrived 2 days ago. Absolutely gobsmacked how well it drives large Tannoys. Preamp became redundant too. 

IMG_20200207_193445.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

We need a drool emoji.:love::testy1:

1 hour ago, tnorvaisas said:

My new amp arrived 2 days ago. Absolutely gobsmacked how well it drives large Tannoys. Preamp became redundant too. 

IMG_20200207_193445.jpg

I heard these yesterday, bloody marvellous... that Emitter is HUGE..:^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Be aware that sound-proofing and what can be done to improve room acoustics (like your panels) are completely different things. 

Have you bought or are you renting?

Generation rent!

3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Measure with REW and a microphone , remove the bass peaks which ( may) be causing the shaking, at least you will enjoy nice tight bass even if it is slightly quieter than your old place.

Keith

All great advice. Thanks, Keith.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

EQ could also be used to apply a high-pass filter to the signal feeding the current speakers, effectively reducing their bass extension to behave more like smaller speakers. This approach would also mean that the EQ could be switched off if you know your neighbours are out...

Ditto. All food for thought. I will keep you all updated.

2 minutes ago, Ipsofacto said:

Generation rent!

I only bought my first house a bit over two years ago, when I was 40. I moved between a lot of different rented properties before that and am only too familiar with the issues. Being able to buy a detached house is the single biggest (and most expensive!) hifi upgrade I've ever made.

Proper sound-proofing won't really be possible in your current property sadly. There are obviously lots of other factors but purely from a music perspective I'm afraid looking for somewhere else to live once your rental contract allows is really the best option.

On the DSP front there is a miniDSP 2x4 HD in the classifieds if you're interested (I don't know the seller). You'd need to buy a microphone as well (~£100 new) to make measurement-based room mode corrections. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There are obviously lots of other factors but purely from a music perspective I'm afraid looking for somewhere else to live once your rental contract allows is really the best option.

^This!!