What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

5 hours ago, Ipsofacto said:

Newly upgraded Croft 25r which now finds itself in two boxes. Only problem is that since sending it off for an upgrade, I have moved house and now find myself with the worst room acoustics ever (bass problems) coupled with the fact that whoever built this house must have used paper mache for the walls..

Absolute nightmare. It would seem I will have to purchase some cheap bookshelf speakers and reassess the situation. 1st world problems I know but a huge blow..

IMG-20200207-123913.jpg

Had the same problem .Lived in a house that was fine for turning big floor stander speakers up loud.Never one complaint.Marrige break down ,then moved to a flat,where you can hear somebody fart upstairs.But because of this ,and some peoples ways of letting children run from one end of their space to another for six hours,i just time when i can turn the volume up a bit more.Only have small Harbeth speakers,Croft integrated and older Sony es amp.Then with some volume sure can sound loud,but also so good on low.Dont realy enjoy headphones ,unless im out walking.Your set up looks ,and i guess sounds amazing ,Try and pick your times ,and enjoy.if not ,plan b.

Edited by mattykyuss
WORD CHANGE
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ipsofacto said:

Newly upgraded Croft 25r which now finds itself in two boxes. Only problem is that since sending it off for an upgrade, I have moved house and now find myself with the worst room acoustics ever (bass problems) coupled with the fact that whoever built this house must have used paper mache for the walls..

Absolute nightmare. It would seem I will have to purchase some cheap bookshelf speakers and reassess the situation. 1st world problems I know but a huge blow..

IMG-20200207-123913.jpg

You didn't you take your own hifi with you to audition the house? I thought auditioning was a golden rule?

31 minutes ago, jamesrfisher said:

You didn't you take your own hifi with you to audition the house? I thought auditioning was a golden rule?

I assume that was a joke? It reads slightly like that was a serious comment but it's very rarely a realistic possibility.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

I assume that was a joke? It reads slightly like that was a serious comment but it's very rarely a realistic possibility.

Last time we’re looking for a house to move the first thing I look is where to put my hifi. I don't mind if I sleep in the shed:D 

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Last time we’re looking for a house to move the first thing I look is where to put my hifi. 

Me too! It's surprising how hard it is to find a lounge that is suited to having a sofa facing a TV with speakers either side. I've rejected many potential homes because they wouldn't let me do this. I've also avoided rented homes with laminate flooring in the lounge for acoustic reasons (as well as comfort), which was gradually getting more restrictive.

Last time we’re looking for a house to move the first thing I look is where to put my hifi. I don't mind if I sleep on the shed 
Can confirm. Before moving I made an off-hand remark about room acoustics. The rest, as they say, is history..

15 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

Last time we’re looking for a house to move the first thing I look is where to put my hifi. I don't mind if I sleep in the shed:D 

And a garage for the motorbikes.  No garage, no purchase.  Anyway, the first thing I do viewing a house is clap my hands in the living room (not posh enough for a lounge) and listen for the echoes.

C80904D6-F14D-4344-B7C1-E719C4B55270_zps

27A09D88-3097-4C4C-985C-EFE20E214633_zps

A295FFD5-9A6D-49D8-ADCF-2E2D4EC69FCD_zps

Source

Turntable - custom designed and built with custom power supply 
Arm - TigerPaw Javelin (small modification made to tracking weight adjustment)
Cartridge - rebuilt Linn Troika (unique black body to Troika, copper wound coils with ruby cantilever and Gyger stylus)

Amplification

Phonostage - custom built four box Paradise (with Calvin buffer boards)
Pre-Amp - Naim Nac72 (all internal boards replaced by those from Ryan Sound Labs)
Power Supply to Pre-Amp - Naim Hi-Cap (rebuilt with Avondale Audio TPR4 and Kendeil capacitors)
Power amps to mid and tweeters - Naim Nap135s 
Power amp to bass drivers - Lab.gruppen IPD1200

Speakers

Yamaha NS-1000Ms (heavily custom modified - external crossovers)
Super-tweeters (custom designed and built)
REL Stadium sub-woofer

Connecting Cables

Zavfino ‘The Mahone’ arm cable
Epiphany Acoustics ‘Atratus III’ between phonostage and pre-amp
Witch Hat Audio ‘HatPin’ between pre-amp and Hi-Cap
Flashback Sales ‘Premiere’ between Hi-Cap and Nap135s and also to Lab.gruppen IPD1200
Linn K400 speaker cable to mids and tweeters of Yamaha NS-1000Ms
Van Damme speaker cable ‘Tour Grade Black’ 4mm to NS-1000M bass drivers

Equipment supports & Stands

Turntable stand integrated into plinth
Sound Factory stands for all electronics (Fibrelam shelf for pre-amp)
Granite plinth under sub-woofer
Custom designed and built stands for NS-1000Ms

Mains

Custom designed and built six-way ‘Hydra’ distribution block (Belden 19364 to all components)
Custom built ‘Cerberus’ DC blocker
Airlink 3000VA balanced mains transformer
Dedicated ring to Crabtree unswitched sockets

Room Treatment

DSP correction to bass applied by Lab.gruppen IPD1200
Custom designed and built acoustic panels hung on four walls of listening room

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

Tell me about it. We’re on the move and I’m having to leave this ... the perfect listening room :(  

m0yp5GeE_t.jpeg

Edited by lordmortlock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lordmortlock said:

Tell me about it. We’re on the move and I’m having to leave this ... the perfect listening room :(  

m0yp5GeE_t.jpeg

That’s a good decent size room which I think is bigger than mine. I know the feeling but sometimes we have no choice:(

It’s the height I’ll miss. So much room and space for sound. 

Edited by lordmortlock

2 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

And a garage for the motorbikes.  No garage, no purchase.  Anyway, the first thing I do viewing a house is clap my hands in the living room (not posh enough for a lounge) and listen for the echoes.

It’s one of the most difficult times when moving house I know. Our garage is full of empty boxes of my hifi. Im glad that my landlord allowed me to put some acoustic panels and bass traps in the living room:oj:

I've just "found" the rips I did on my old Technics SP10 Mk3 with 12" Ortofon As 309 arm. I had lost them - hidden somewhere on a hard drive - for years. Have been able to compare them with the same rips taken on a SME with a V12.

Sorry. Nostalgia and everything. Legend and everything. On early music (i.e. not "critical") listening, the British flagship trounces the Japanese one by a Country mile.

Yes, I appreciate that new the SME is a batshit crazy price these days, but second hand, (accepting that they hardly ever come up), there's not that great a difference in total cost - maybe £4k. That's not a huge amount when shopping at this level.

The Japanese offering is good sounding background music. The English design makes my ears prop up and the music makes sense.

Having said that, a trip to Japan and a listen to systems utilising their priorities, is both educational and inspiring IME. Very much the opposite of us - I felt the results were better, hence my returning and building systems along their lines as opposed to the flat earth ideas of much of the UK.

Edited by Tune

On 24/01/2020 at 08:45, ljcarr said:

SOURCE COMPONENTS:

NAD M10

Ipad pro 12.9

AMPLIFICATION:

NAD M10

SPEAKERS:

KEF R3

Rel s2 sub

HEADPHONES:

B & W PX

CABLES:

Speaker: Tellurium q black ll

49432871483_08188bdaed_c.jpg

49433344071_b156ced8a3_c.jpg

How do you find the Nad been contemplating one

• Like 1

Super Wammer

A downsize while we are in the process of moving house. All things being well, the new detached house will have pretty much a dedicated hifi/music room.

Not ideal, but once the sale is complete they will go onto some stands and back into the correct position at the end of the room.

49497671337_b8287123c8_c.jpg

ATC SCM10 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

49505913473_5187d01d05_c.jpg

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

• Like 5