Guest

What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Recommended Posts

Nice fog horns there Bob :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Few more changes, all on the DIY front.

New pre starting to open up really nicely now and the latest addition is another all-valve phono stage, now also with a valve power supply (lurking behind the speaker). Needs to run for a while, as all the caps are brand new and like it or not, they do open up a bit with a few hours up 'em. So far it's all Mundorfs in the phono. The pre is battery bias and just one pair of Miflex in the signal path.

Will be in bits again within the next few days, as there are some Russian teflons lurking here that I need to try and squeeze in, and I also want to mess about with a few component values in the pre to try and get the most out of it. Mind you, if it just stays sounding as good as it does now, I'll be very happy.

27-2-20.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2020 at 17:23, It Cost How Much!?! said:

For those not called Geoff, my decks are Sony PS-X9 with a Koetsu Black, two arm Technics SP10 Mk2 SME 312S and IV with Ortofon Rhondo Bronz and Supex SD900, into Allnic H1201 and then Krell KRC3 with Avantgarde Acoustic Solo and Velodyne DD15.  CD is either Teac D700 with CAL Sigma II or Synthesis thing.

I remember hearing the Solos at a show years ago and really liking them. How do you find your sub works with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rabski - looking good! Would you mind telling me where you bought your TT light? I assume its LED and doesnt generate interference through your system like mine did before I donated it to the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Mondie said:

Rabski - looking good! Would you mind telling me where you bought your TT light? I assume its LED and doesnt generate interference through your system like mine did before I donated it to the kids.

Same as mine, ebay is your friend. 

15827970296371101452511405203218.jpg

Screenshot_20200227-094955.png

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Identical I think. Mine came from Amazon. They're USB powered and ajustable for brightness and colour. There's loads on t'bay and Amazon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MartinC said:

I remember hearing the Solos at a show years ago and really liking them. How do you find your sub works with them?

I used to use M&K MX5000 subs, but the Velodyne fits better with them. I roll the Solos off at 45hz about, and the Velodyne is fairly low volume, you can pump it up volume wise remotely. 

If you are ever near Cheshire pop in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rabski said:

Identical I think. Mine came from Amazon. They're USB powered and ajustable for brightness and colour. There's loads on t'bay and Amazon.

Thanks Lurch and Rabski, does the USB power supply not cause some interference? I will have a root around on Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
9 minutes ago, Mondie said:

Thanks Lurch and Rabski, does the USB power supply not cause some interference? I will have a root around on Amazon.

It doesn't here, but I'm completely anal about power supplies so I built a 5v linear, regulated supply with a pair of USB sockets. That said, I doubt the standard 'plug adaptor' ones will do any harm with the sort of current involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

No interference from mine either using the supplied USB plug top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After trying active preamps,  SS and even tubes from the likes of T+A and KR audio. I found direct digital volume control to be blacker in background. But all reviewers had me believe that digital volume control was cutting frequencies at the top and bottom. Though I could hear none :D

So finally bought a music first classic TVC preamp. Will post my listening impressions once Iam back home :)

IMG-20200220-WA0004.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, newlash09 said:

After trying active preamps,  SS and even tubes from the likes of T+A and KR audio. I found direct digital volume control to be blacker in background. But all reviewers had me believe that digital volume control was cutting frequencies at the top and bottom. Though I could hear none :D

So finally bought a music first classic TVC preamp. Will post my listening impressions once Iam back home :)

IMG-20200220-WA0004.jpeg

thats a gorgeous looking pre

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 yrs ago I had so many Naim boxes I needed 3 racks. 

Slimmed down since then. Turntable is still packaged up awaiting a decision 😳Resizer_15830675973660.thumb.jpg.023fa7faf24b8930c3d3a1eeb01ff421.jpgOI000015.thumb.JPG.213b2dc6c3ebe98372bc9bec05905e65.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member