What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Just added a clearaudio phono stage basic+ and power supply, and what a upgrade over the phono stage of the Pioneer C-73 intergrated :D . I have connected the  basic+ unit directly to the M-73 Power Amp via the line in as there is a gain (Volume) control on the front this  gives me 20 Watts of pure class A, which means  I now  bypass the C-73 intergrated, I may even get another power amp and bi-amp it give me 40watts. However for now I am on the lookout for the Clearaudio ACCU Power Supply, so if anyone has one to sell please let me know.

JHwDo69l.jpg

N1KKRjQl.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Finally sorted out some room correction for the new place.

20200301_162820.thumb.jpg.4aa78b788417ff722a5b00dda522258b.jpg

I thought this room might measure quite well, computer says no. A couple of 12dB peaks and a 6dB one for good measure.

20200301_162901.thumb.jpg.538d313e10329f7b59c799de968912c4.jpg

Switching the correction in and out it's genuinely shocking how bad it is, even with 7 GIK panels.

Excuse the crappy phone pics.

Edited by brystonian
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

After several years of disappointment with the Clearaudio Cartridge, and a few experiments with other similar carts, I decided to take the Audio Technica generator out of this cart, I added a Linn K5 Generator to the Clearaudio Ebony Body, and attached a cut down ATN95EX stylus. After running this in for around 10 hours it is now absolutely singing. What an amazing difference. I’m not sure whether the original generator was faulty or not, but it never sounded right. And for £15 it was worth a punt. And it worked, way better than I expected. 

FEA8D29D-6221-4C46-8F76-4214B7A50785.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not new but it feels and sounds like it is new after it had been worked on by Angus/Phonomac on AOS.   I collected it from Angus over the weekend having dropped it off with him at the end of Jan with a planned pickup for the Kegworth show weekend.

The TT now has a working PSU lamp and TT strobe.  Logic problem with TT spinning when power applied irrespective of the PSU On/Off position was resolved.

All capacitors were replaced on the PSU and TT boards.  The Groovemaster Arm/VTA fitting is now vertical rather than off true and screwed firmly in place along with the deck now being fixed to the plinth.  Angus has done a terrific job and it is sounding wonderful and I can get back to listening to my records.

647029016_SP10postrefurbishment(S).jpg.c4fa7b13e2ab33730ffa71110ea492fd.jpg

Then this morning Robin/Wizzmax delivered my recently acquired Valab LCR.  Robin and a few others of the south coast crew had already listened to this phono whilst my TT was in dock. They reported back with the message of "sell all your other phono stages" - which indeed is what I am doing.  One down and two to go.  Now all I am waiting on is the delivery of a Transfiguration Axia cartridge then I think I will have got all I need for my vinyl front end give or take a few cable changes :) 

SP10 and Valab LCR 3 (S).jpg

Edited by chrisph
  • Like 5

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, chrisph said:

all I am waiting on is the delivery of a Transfiguration Axia cartridge. 

Bloody copycat 😊

As good as your AT33 is, you will find the Axia a BIG jump in SQ. 

If you want me to help you set it up give me a shout, the Avid protractor I have makes it easy to get it spot bollock pretty quickly. I think it took me 10 mins to have mine playing, then another 30 mins max of tweaking. 

Edited by Lurch

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Bloody copycat 😊

As good as your AT33 is, you will find the Axia a BIG jump in SQ. 

If you want me to help you set it up give me a shout, the Avid protractor I have makes it easy to get it spot bollock pretty quickly. I think it took me 10 mins to have mine playing, then another 30 mins max of tweaking. 

John, after hearing your views on the Axia I thought I would look out for one and hopefully I have one on its way. I will take you up on your offer to set it up. Will let you know when it arrives.  Cheers.

Super Wammer

Having recently acquired a 2nd, 80s Cambridge Audio A50 power amp (something I wanted but couldn't afford when I bought my C50/A50 pre/power in 1988) and Robin (wizmax) delivering a pair of JPW Sonatas I grabbed from JezR for £30 I decided to assemble my 80s (2nd) system in the music room for a listening session. 

Phillips CD600 

Cambridge C50 & 2x A50 as Bridged monos

JPWs on Gale stands. 

Just need to source a mid range 80s tt & cart (hopefully an A&R P77Mg) for next years Keggy. 

15844676236556774961345077260710.jpg

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Having recently acquired a 2nd, 80s Cambridge Audio A50 power amp (something I wanted but couldn't afford when I bought my C50/A50 pre/power in 1988) and Robin (wizmax) delivering a pair of JPW Sonatas I grabbed from JezR for £30 I decided to assemble my 80s (2nd) system in the music room for a listening session. 

Phillips CD600 

Cambridge C50 & 2x A50 as Bridged monos

JPWs on Gale stands. 

Just need to source a mid range 80s tt & cart (hopefully an A&R P77Mg) for next years Keggy. 

15844676236556774961345077260710.jpg

Very nice... 

Does it sound good? (It looks great)

Super Wammer

Yep sounds, bloody superb, only stopped using the amps regularly in late 2016 when I hit the upgrade trail after a windfall. Don't remember them sounding this good though being fed by a Technics slp440 cdp into kef cresta 3. Also plumbed in the Brinkmann/OL/Axia S combo this afternoon, and that did put a big smile on my face. Stan Curtis certainly knew what he was doing when he designed these amps, and the Sonatas are a forgotten gem and sell at basement prices to boot. 

Edited by Lurch

Is a system ever finished? Well mine is for now with the Baldwin HiFi filling in the gap I had in what I was looking for sonically. 

System as follows; Yamaha CA810 acting as pre amp into the Baldwin 405C. Fed by a Naim ND5 XS2 which also acts as the DAC for the Sony 337ESD (I know - heresy to some) and a custom one off ARB deck and arm with a Rega Ania into the MC stage of the Yammie and a Leak Transcriptor 2001 with an Audio Technica MONO3/LP into a Tisbury Audio Domino and finally a Technics M260 tape deck. All into a pair of rather wonderful LNB Para Lab 20’ and a single BK Electronics XLS200 (hoping to find a second for stereo subs). Cabling is largely by Atlas.

Really very happy with it. It’s taken a fair bit of swapping bits in and out but I’m there for now :)

FDAFA568-9036-4D07-AEB0-90EE1157DB85.jpeg

6A9CCE96-CDDB-4A9E-9A57-E4FE7111194B.jpeg

C3BFF53E-E047-4FE8-A4F0-3C5441B8C86B.jpeg

• Like 3

As I'm looking for a more suitable power amp for the 2805s, I decided to bring down the little Ming Da MC 84-C power amps and try them.  About 12 watts of EL84 power!  Just warming up with some Leonard Cohen (to keep Mrs ABD sweet) and they are fun.  Very warm sounding, but it would be hard to make "You Want It Darker" sound cold.  Bass is a bit loose, but I can live with this for a while.  There are a couple of rather more expensive valve amps I am thinking of, but it might be several months before I can go and listen to them.  If ever!  

49670078263_c5d0304c7c_c.jpg

The loft sytem now has 6 watts of KT66 SE driving the speakers up there.

29187116840_cd06aaf06f_c.jpg

• Like 2

Cough. Buy a quad 909 for em :p 

140w of current dumping oomph 

Edited by kernow