What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Many many years since I was back on this forum and updating my bits and bobs...

Coronavirus caused eBay spending spree has resulted in a couple of new bits. Box count is going up now instead of down.

Streaming from Spotify supplied by Raspberry Pi with HiFi DAC attachment running their own HiFiBerry OS, works seamlessly. Needed to order some attentuating RCA to DIN cables from flashback though.

20200326_081700000_iOS.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

My old bits and bobs

Kuzma t/t, marantz CD94, Parks Audio phono, and Audio Innovations 500 (much modified), Impulse H6ish (modified everything!!)

IMG_0029.JPG

Edited by toms wait
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Series 500ish, phono removed, Juancho modified, gold valve bases, 5881 valves, balance removed, tape loops removed, volume alps blue, source selector improved, controls moved to suit space inside, and rewired throughout.  The original wiring was a bit frayed and heat stressed.

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by toms wait
  • Like 3

Monarch Turntable, Plinius Amp & Boenicke Speakers, All gone. Replaced with a fairly radical change over.

IMG_20200404_162821.thumb.jpg.d1f600715e727105b249902eb87bb7bf.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Monarch Turntable, Plinius Amp & Boenicke Speakers, All gone. Replaced with a fairly radical change over.

IMG_20200404_162821.thumb.jpg.d1f600715e727105b249902eb87bb7bf.jpg

Bonkers! Well done.

• Like 2

Wassallthatthen? :shock:

Posted (edited)
On 04/04/2020 at 17:04, JANDL100 said:

Wassallthatthen? :shock:

Jerry, wow not seen anything of you in ages, hope you're well?

New house, new room, different needs. Heard the silvers in a demo and not impressed, way too bass heavy. The gold's were great but more than I needed or wanted to spend. These fit the new room perfectly.

Edited by alphatoner
  • Like 1

Hi Ian - yeah, I pop in here now and then.  I'm very well, thanks, hope you are, too.

So what do these do that the Plinius/Boenicke didn't? ... or are they just more appropriate to your new space?

I posted a pic of my system on this thread not long ago .... 

• Like 1

It's just a space/room/lifestyle change. Having said that they are still very impressive. I also bought some Kef LSX to compare, and basically there was no comparison. The reactors are way better.

10 years, my god that doesn't seem possible.

• Like 1

Tempest fuggit. 

Or something like that. :)

I do have a 'spare' pair of Podium point 5  panel speakers that get an airing every 6 months or so for a couple of days, just for a change! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Tempest fuggit. 

Or something like that. :)

I do have a 'spare' pair of Podium point 5  panel speakers that get an airing every 6 months or so for a couple of days, just for a change! 

I had a pair of those that i stupidly sold last year. They didn't do everything well, but there was a magic on certain types of music that i miss..

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, the Podiums are remarkable in some ways, a real sense of transparency and tactility.  Not for head-bangers or deep bass freaks, but there's a magic there nonetheless.

Most of the time mine are stacked against the wall behind the listening chair ...

CD7eCK0.jpg

But they come out now and then! ... and the cat seems to approve. :)

lsxEVAw.jpg

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

But they come out now and then! ... and the cat seems to approve. 

Welcome back Jerry good to see you here. And I hope the other cats approve as well. Our cat like a nice opera but not rock music. Fussy socks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've not used this forum for probably a couple of years now and things have changed quite a bit after chasing Naim perfection for a few years upto 282/SC/300 and then 82/SC/250 I sold everything put the money towards a small holiday flat and started from scratch building a 'budget' system that obviously is becoming less budget but still great vfm IMO.

Technics 1210 Mk 2, Audio Origami fully modded RB300, Isonoe feet, Ian Mac bearing, pitch adjuster and guide light removed.

Musical Fidelity V LPS / V PSU

Chromecast Audio, Musical Fidelity V DAC / V PSU

Nad c372 amp

Dynaudio Contour s3.4

Klotz MC500 & Chord Crimson interconnects

Naim Nac A5

• Like 4

I am very close to completing a long, long hifi journey that has taken me from Naim Nac 62S, Naim Nap 140, Thorens TD 160 Mk. ii (supered) + Morch UP4 tonearm, Denon 103R + Mission 737R speakers,  via Naim Nac 252/SC/2xNaim Nap 200 + Linn Tunebox + Linn Ninkas and too many boxes and configurations to count. It is only in the last two years or so that I finally managed to make everything gel after I decided what to make the centrepieces of my set-up and then managed to sell some kit that I could not get to sound right:

DIY DCB1 buffer pre with Rod Elliot mm - which sounds extremely transparent and musical in my system. Bought last year to replace EAR 802 and Herron VTSP2a.

EAR 516 - bought in 2018. It had to go to EAR in the UK for a service and repair not long after I bought it. Tim de Paravicini spent more time returning it to spec than he cared for (7-8 hours) but told me that it is a perfect match for my Quad ESL-57s. I have to agree.

SME 10 turntable + Kuzma Stogi 9" + Denon DL-103D + Ortofon T-20 mk. I finally got the vinyl playback mojo back with the Stogi and Denon 103D that I bougt this year. It feels like I have come home.  Can the next item on my list improve on this?

Paradise Phono Stage - coming in the near future when Simon has finally received the last bits for it from the US.

Line Magnetic 502CA DAC - I have upgraded the three valves in it and may upgrade the opamps to Burson V5 Dual opamps. I find the valve output stage to be very musical and sweet. I feed it from a Win 10 PC with JRiver Music Center via a Nuforce U192S usb to spdif (coax) converter powered by a linear psu. Since I bought it, I have struggled to have vinyl playback as good as through this DAC. But now I am there.

Bang & Olufsen Beocord 6500 cassette Deck

Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner

Quad ESL-57 - with One Thing Bass Panels. I bought these in 2018 and I have placed them on top of book shelves leaning out somewhat. The effect is that of giant headphones in my small study.

--------------

When I receive the Paradise phono stage, I feel that I am 99% where I want to be. I have spent way to much money along the way but I have also had the priviledge of listening to some much coveted gear during that roller-coster ride. It has been both fun and nerve-wrecking. So what next?

(1) An inexpensive 12" unipivot arm on an external armpod: The Wand 12", a Morch UP4 12" or a Stogi S 12" tonearm. Just to hear what 122 tonearms are all about.

(2) To  complete a DIY Poul Ladegaard air bearing tonearm project that I have all the parts for.

(3) A Magnepan DWM woofer (or two) to make the base a little more solid.

(4) An inexpansive cart to go with the 12" unipivot tonearm.

• Like 1