What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

13 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Could you report back on your findings please Sir? :flowers:

Will do.  It is enroute to me currently.  I bought of Ebay and it was supposed to be in UK to begin with but is taking over two weeks to get here.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kawasaki kr1s said:

Can I ask what the turnaround time was for the arm Rewire.

A week,  door to door.  

I've had a few arms done,  it does vary throughout the year,  best to message or call.

• Like 1

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/home/contact-us/

I chat to him on FB messenger. 

On 15/05/2020 at 17:12, d_a_n1979 said:

This is my home-office system:

I'm running my NAD C325BEE integrated currently; my C375BEE amp has started to go a bit duff and crackling yesterday; needs a good clean inside I think, will look at it over the weekend (same with my C320BEE too). Cracked the C325BEE out of the loft and no issues, at all! Still as good as the day I bought it :notworthy:

So, my system is:

NAD C325BEE integrated, Fyne Audio F302 speakers, 2018 Mac Mini i3 Quad-core and iTunes as source, USB into a Topping D10 DAC

officesystem.jpg

And this is my retro 'very comfy' chair that I got as part of my wife's Nana's will; she sadly passed away September last year and she always knew I loved the 2 gold chairs, as did my brother in law, so we got one each ;) They're over 60 years old and still as original as they were they day they were bought (bar a few marks etc); it's a bloody comfy place to sit when listening to music; just wheel it across to the 'sweet spot' and it's instant 'musicoma' ;) 

comfychair.jpg

This will also be a very good bass trap.A lot of people underestimate this !

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hifimad1 said:

This will also be a very good bass trap.A lot of people underestimate this !

It’s a very good ass trap... Once in I struggle to get out of the damn thing... O.o

Oh, bass... You said bass... ;) xD :mrgreen:

Edited by d_a_n1979

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2020 at 12:01, Tarzan said:

Could you report back on your findings please Sir? :flowers:

I have had the TPA3116 for a few days now.  It was £28 delivered and doesn't come with a power supply.  I am a bit cautious with cheap no name power supplies so bought a second hand Fujitsu supply that puts out 19 volts for £10.  The TPA3116 will take up to 24v but 19 might be best I read somewhere.  The Amptastic Mini T uses a 12 volt supply and cannot use the higher voltage charger.

The TPA3116 has no manufacturer name and feels light and cheaply constructed compared the Mini T.  

The volume pot is horrible.  It feels rough when turning.  It would be nice to find a well constructed TPA3116 (nice case, strong binding posts and good volume pot).

The two amps sound similar but the TPA3116 has a slightly bigger presentation probably due to its extra power.  There is a little more detail and depth.  Bass is better and sounds like cymbals have more shimmer.  There isn't much difference between them.  I would swap back and forward and be impressed with both and admire what these cheap little amps can do.  

The volume pot on the TPA3116 is an issue.  It is not very granular so I found running it as 9:30 - 10 o'clock the only good level.  It produced adequte volume at that level but turning it up to 11 o'clock the sound hardened with the start of distortion.

I am tempted to order this DollaTek version that runs two TPA3116 chips for more power.

DollaTek Breeze Mini Dual TPA3116 Digital Power Amplifier HiFi Stereo Audio Amp 2.0 Channel 100W×2 DIY with NE5532 Pre-level OP Amp

Edited by firefuocco
missing info
  • Like 1

I'd be interested to know how you find the Dolla Tek Breeze, I've got a no name TPA3116, which I use with JBL Control 1's when I'm abroad.  Is your PS one of these?

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/fujitsu-lifebook-a514-power-supply-charger~c8741~p14056412/?exta=bingsh&stat=eyJpcCI6IjkuOTUiLCJkcCI6MCwibGlkIjoiMTkwNTc3MjUiLCJzIjoiOTgiLCJ0IjoxNTkwNTQ5MTY0LCJibWMiOiIwLjAifQ==&msclkid=f1f5798ddae91e625dba27428f5b2cf2

3 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I'd be interested to know how you find the Dolla Tek Breeze, I've got a no name TPA3116, which I use with JBL Control 1's when I'm abroad.  Is your PS one of these?

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/fujitsu-lifebook-a514-power-supply-charger~c8741~p14056412/?exta=bingsh&stat=eyJpcCI6IjkuOTUiLCJkcCI6MCwibGlkIjoiMTkwNTc3MjUiLCJzIjoiOTgiLCJ0IjoxNTkwNTQ5MTY0LCJibWMiOiIwLjAifQ==&msclkid=f1f5798ddae91e625dba27428f5b2cf2

It is similar but mine puts out 4.22 amps.  Amptastic power supply for the TPA3116 is 19V 5.3A.  So I went for one as close as I could find to that spec.

https://www.amptastic.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for that firefuocco,

Posted (edited)

Here is my new front end. Totally blown away by the dac in particular. It has completely transformed my expectation of what digital can achieve. A truly organic sound.

Dual interchangeable dac boards (using ess9038 Pro). AMK4490 and 4497 dual dac chips can also be pursued for chip rolling.

Each dac module is outputting to an external battery powered Crystek CCHD-957 femto clock. 

150w torroids for analogue outputs and 100w for digital section

Sophia princess mesh plate 274B rectifier

Electro-harmonix 6h30pi gold pin output tubes and zero negative feedback

The dac is 12kg and larger than a lot of power amps. Fully balanced with x4 2.2uf coupling caps required.  About to order x4 Miflex copper foils to go in there and currently messing about with various Russian caps too. Great fun!

IMG_20200524_004100_resize_26.jpg

IMG_20200516_203935_resize_77.jpg

IMG_20200512_084316_resize_37.jpg

IMG_20200512_084653_1_resize_7.jpg

IMG_20200512_083016_resize_58.jpg

Edited by Psilonaught
  • Like 3

Impressive bit of kit, any thoughts on trying a different dac chip?

11 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

Not yet. Need to bottom out the caps first. About to try the famous k40y-9 PIO and then I'll be going try Miflex copper foil oils. Once I settle on a final cap I'll start trying different dac boards. 

The output tube stage can accept the below so I might try something other that the 6H30 at some point too.

6.3V series: 6N11, 6H6, 6H30, E88CC, E188CC,6922, 6DJ8 and 12.6V series: 12AU7, 12BH7, E80CC.

Too much variation to play with!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

As a matter of interest, what would you suggest, as I think the 9038 Pro is at the summit, as far as specification.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, greybeard said:

As a matter of interest, what would you suggest, as I think the 9038 Pro is at the summit, as far as specification.

I have absolutely no idea Greybeard, you are probably correct although I have just been reading about the latest SMSL dac having a AKM 4499.

Edited by antonio66
  • Like 1