Guest

What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Recommended Posts

The reason i bought this dac is the a vast amount of effort has been put into the analogue output stage. I don' t know about your experiences either of you, but i have to say, until now i was of the view that dacs generally all sound broadly the same. I think that is still true for transistor/ op amp dacs.  This dac has been a step-change for me, and is a lot closer to a true analogue (LP) setup. 

I guess my point is that changing dac modules and maintaining everything else the same will make very little difference. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2020 at 11:22, JANDL100 said:

The Podium 0.5s getting an airing a few months ago.

And Roley, Roley likes them as well.

lsxEVAw.jpg

Looks like Celi likes them too! 😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

The reason i bought this dac is the a vast amount of effort has been put into the analogue output stage. I don' t know about your experiences either of you, but i have to say, until now i was of the view that dacs generally all sound broadly the same. I think that is still true for transistor/ op amp dacs.  This dac has been a step-change for me, and is a lot closer to a true analogue (LP) setup. 

I guess my point is that changing dac modules and maintaining everything else the same will make very little difference. 

Not so sure I want my digital to sound the same as my vinyl, although many do.  I've got two dacs, Calyx 24/192 in the main system and Topping D30 for headphones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, antonio66 said:

Not so sure I want my digital to sound the same as my vinyl, although many do.  I've got two dacs, Calyx 24/192 in the main system and Topping D30 for headphones.

Fair point. I mean I want an organic sound, free from digital grain. That's exactly what I'm getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2020 at 11:41, firefuocco said:

The volume pot is horrible.  It feels rough when turning.  It would be nice to find a well constructed TPA3116 (nice case, strong binding posts and good volume pot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

(For my above quoted post, can’t add text for some reason) I’m sure you’ve done this already, but just dble check the knob isn’t hard to the case and causing that roughness. I had an amptastic like this and I undid the grub nut and moved the knob away from the chassis. Hey presto, smoothness. 

Edited by lordmortlock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lordmortlock said:

(For my above quoted post, can’t add text for some reason) I’m sure you’ve done this already, but just dble check the knob isn’t hard to the case and causing that roughness. I had an amptasic like this and I undid the grub nut and moved the knob away from the chassis. Hey presto, smoothness. 

Thank you for the tip.  Surprisingly I hadn't tried that already.  Works a lot more smoothly now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Went and collected this today after its visit back home to be serviced and brought upto latest spec. (Bought it 3 weeks ago but as it had no serial No sticker I had it sent direct to Graham Tricker at Tron to confirm it was what it was advertised as, a Seven Ultimate. Its an 08 mk1 hence having it brought up to 2018 mk2 spec. 

I let it warm up for an hour before firing it up in anger and damn, it sounds absolutely bloody stunning. Thought my Seven Basic mm with MFA SUT was good but this is in a different league. 

IMG_20200604_183739.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently posted some pics of the lockdown system I purchased as my new speakers which while finished, are now stuck in Oz due to Covid. The Ref 3's I bought back in April impressed me so much I just had to find a pair of Ref 4.2's and thanks to a WTB on the Wam, I am now the owner of a pair of stone cold mint one owner 4.2's. I had a bit of a lineup this afternoon before moving them into position. They surpassed expectations, so much so that the improvements in all areas iare very much greater than the sum of the parts. These 4-way Kef designs from the 90's with isobaric bass are awesome!

49971724562_438521b14d_b.jpg20200604_143915 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

49971449751_a46b1ba941_b.jpg20200604_144357 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

49971712047_8ec5da4802_b.jpg20200604_143403 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

The view from the power chair hasn't changed much, the room is still a mess and waiting for the Mrs to paint and decorate.

49970933443_4d45d2438a_b.jpg20200604_180813 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing around on eBay and came across mirror polished stainless steel cut to size.

Difficult to resist doing something I'd meant to do for ages.

This...........

IMG_7681.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2020 at 11:15, antonio66 said:

I have absolutely no idea Greybeard, you are probably correct although I have just been reading about the latest SMSL dac having a AKM 4499.

Well what would you know, 4499 twin boards are available for my dac shortly. I'll give them a try.

Just to repeat myself however, in my experience, dac chipsets make a small difference compared to the output implementation.

Edited by Psilonaught

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
12 hours ago, toms wait said:

Been playing around on eBay and came across mirror polished stainless steel cut to size.

Difficult to resist doing something I'd meant to do for ages.

This...........

IMG_7681.JPG

Wow can you give us some close up pictures? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, greengoblin said:

Wow can you give us some close up pictures? 

Will do just one more bit to faff with or as my wife would have it "titivate"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HFWW won't let me upload more pics, any reason for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.