What's yer bits'n'bobs ?

Gone mad and got some Cabasse Baltic II and the sub, the sub I am not using at the moment as I have a Velodyne DD15. Happy with the Cabasse sound. The looks are an acquired taste, being two eyeballs on sticks. 
Also got a Sony CD spinner for the bedroom system in the shape of a SCD-777 ES, very happy with it. Ms ICHM could not handle the Micromega Duo Pro. 
20210421_172918_compress44.thumb.jpg.c960fb0de952aaf5c5aab33b0f8c3829.jpg
They look cool.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, oldius said:

They look cool.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pop over for listen.

• Like 1

That is a lovely looking setup there. And what bottle is that you finished

It’s an 18 year old Glenlivet Single Malt. And it’s only half finished hahah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HammyRFC said:

What a small world...glenlivet 18 also happens to be my choicest Poison :D

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 17:22, It Cost How Much!?! said:

Gone mad and got some Cabasse Baltic II and the sub, the sub I am not using at the moment as I have a Velodyne DD15. Happy with the Cabasse sound. The looks are an acquired taste, being two eyeballs on sticks. 

Also got a Sony CD spinner for the bedroom system in the shape of a SCD-777 ES, very happy with it. Ms ICHM could not handle the Micromega Duo Pro. 

20210421_172918_compress44.jpg

Must have some how missed this post, love the look of the speakers, although I did hear their top of the range model at a show, and disliked them, maybe something to do with the fact I thought them ugly, these look so much better.  Hope you are still enjoying them.

On 09/05/2021 at 15:35, It Cost How Much!?! said:

Pop over for listen.

I would love to, Bob. Let's arrange something soon.

The Silvercore's have landed !

Many thanks to my wam taxi of Brook/Speedracer & Jack/Non smoking man.

These arrived yesterday, and after a run through with my 6V6, then the 300B mono's these were pressed into service.

Audio jewellery before they even uttered a note, if an amp can look fast standing still...

Took a little while for both them and the preamp to warm up (had to change preamp as i didn't realise these only have a balanced feed) as they have not been used for a while, but boy oh boy after half an hour these were singing, and continued to get better and better as the day drew on.

I must get some of my other speakers in the fray, as the Fostek horns, while lovely with some of the smaller powered stuff, are now letting the side down a little with the big 833.

Never though i'ld have the chance to own some of these...very happy, anybody want to buy some 300B's ?

silvercore.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, joolz said:

These arrived yesterday, and after a run through with my 6V6, then the 300B mono's these were pressed into service.

Audio jewellery before they even uttered a note, if an amp can look fast standing still...

Took a little while for both them and the preamp to warm up (had to change preamp as i didn't realise these only have a balanced feed) as they have not been used for a while, but boy oh boy after half an hour these were singing, and continued to get better and better as the day drew on.

I must get some of my other speakers in the fray, as the Fostek horns, while lovely with some of the smaller powered stuff, are now letting the side down a little with the big 833.

Never though i'ld have the chance to own some of these...very happy, anybody want to buy some 300B's ?

silvercore.jpg

That’s an impressive looking system there my friend 👍🏻

• Like 1

IMG-20210510-140539.jpg

So I fitted a Shure M97XE with Jico SAS stylus yesterday. It's the first time in a few years that I've used an MM cartridge - that was a Jico SAS stylus too. This has really surprised me; I remember the last one being mind-blowing but that was before I got into the MC rabbit hole - this is fantastic!

It looks like it's on the skew, it's not!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, myles said:

IMG-20210510-140539.jpg

So I fitted a Shure M97XE with Jico SAS stylus yesterday. It's the first time in a few years that I've used an MM cartridge - that was a Jico SAS stylus too. This has really surprised me; I remember the last one being mind-blowing but that was before I got into the MC rabbit hole - this is fantastic!

It looks like it's on the skew, it's not!

Another thing to add Myles is the Audiomods is capable of showing what a cartridge is capable of being able to do. When I first got the audiomods, I stuck an AT VM95 on it and it was as good if not on par with the Audio Origami PU7. Splendid stuff 👍🏻

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Another thing to add Myles is the Audiomods is capable of showing what a cartridge is capable of being able to do. When I first got the audiomods, I stuck an AT VM95 on it and it was as good if not on par with the Audio Origami PU7. Splendid stuff 👍🏻

You told me - I bought into it and I'm glad I did. I've had AT33PTG/II, Hana SL and now this Shure MM and the arm has allowed each of them to perform to their highest ability. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, myles said:

You told me - I bought into it and I'm glad I did. I've had AT33PTG/II, Hana SL and now this Shure MM and the arm has allowed each of them to perform to their highest ability. 

There are a few arms that have crossed my path over the years including SME and the Audiomods 6 and Audio Origami PU7 have exceeded all expectations and proves you do not need to spend loads more to achieve similar results. Both made by excellent guys and next time I’m up in Glasgow (probably a Scottish road trip) I’ll make a point of seeing Johnny again. Wonderful chap. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 04:29, HammyRFC said:

I have to slum it with the 12 year old - basically underage drinking.  

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, joolz said:

silvercore.jpg

Speedracer and Wizmax got the Silvercore monos to me on the first leg, and, having stored them in Lurch's garage overnight, loaded them in the car and drove up Maidstone way to Joolz's place. The only hairy bit was getting up the muddy drive which has a steep incline and some unevenness, let's say!

After a coffee and a relaxed listen to the system on hand (CD player, PS Audio Dac, LDR 'Coffee' pre, the newly acquired 6V6 power amp and the Fosteks) we substituted the Cat's Whiskers 300B monos (seen on the bottom shelf in the picture). That was a step up, building on the very 'open' and immediate sound. 300B amps can be pretty lively despite the 8 watts or so and I know this from owning a pair of DIY monos myself. This is a high efficiency system as is mine.

For the Silvercores we had to re arrange the very impressive rack, which was a bit too narrow. A couple of concerted chopping boards were wheeled in and the rack pulled out to allow for the, er, massive cables that Joolz goes in for!

We had got a surprise initially when we got them out of the flightcases, as from the advert pics what had looked like an RCA socket a side, in addition to an XLR, was in fact a toggle switch (presuimably a ground lift).

Nil desperandum, Joolz, tossing aside various bits of hifi and 'stuff' from the rear of the room, emerged with a balanced valve pre previously acquired from Disarmament (AoS). Then the cable 'bag' yielded a few XLR interconnects and  we were in business.

Switch on (always a tense moment with something out of the box) passed without any issues, and quite soon we were playing a CD that was familiar from a previous visit.

Not a lot of bass and a bit of brashness gradually gave way to a very open, rhythmic and detailed sound with bass added to the party a bit later on. Towards the end of our session they were getting well into their stride and showing what a big single ended output valve can do into efficient speakers. Ive never had full range drivers though ive heard some Tannoy Canterburys with modded crossovers driven by valve amps (including Silvercores), and it occurred to me that the Fosteks werent exploiting the amps capabilities sufficiently.

Re this point, Joolz guided me into another room and, lo and behold, there was a pair of Cheviots looking fairly diminutive alongside Simon Mears's Tannoy Westminster clones! I booked myself in for a return visit when they are up and running..

Super day - which included a walk in the bluebell woods - and a tour of 'the grounds' - and a peek at the kind of system that you dont get to see every day.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 2