Akurate 212 and Akudorik

On first appearance, they have a lot in common.

They both have a 3K array and a similar size volume cabinet. 

The 212’s were designed about the time the 242’s came out, and the Akudoriks are the sister speakers to the Akubariks.

The 212’s and the Akudoriks  can be purchased passive, but the Akudoriks can also be sold with their integrated stands as Exakt, or Katalyst Exakt.

The 212’s came as a Mark 1 and a Mark 2 version, the Mark 2 versions have newer designs for the 3K array and improved speaker drivers and crossover design.

It is also possible to use Akudoriks stands to drive 212’s, but I have never heard of anyone doing this.

The Akudoriks cabinets are more rigid, and have better crossovers and speaker drivers. They were designed and developed by Phil Budd, who also designed the  Akubariks, 530, 520’s, Majik Isobariks, and 109’s as far as I know

From a sound quality point of view, the Akudoriks are a much more detailed, tighter sound, have better tonal qualities and accuracy, and seem to fill the room with music better.

I drive my 212’s externally with a Majik Exaktbox I, and am waiting for when the Majik Exaktbox can be made Katalyst. If that happens, then the difference in sound quality between the 212’s and the Akudoriks will probably be less.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Okey, thanks Paul, you are always so helpful :) Im also ( as you maybe know already ) waiting for the Katalyst upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks CaptenBonScott

I don't think the wait will be that long now?

• Like 1

I have a pair of Akudoriks updated to Katalyst. I Have upgraded from 212 Mark 2 with active only for the bass. I did not had the opportunity to hear a full active 212 but the difference is great. Exakt make a lot of difference and Katalyst is and incredible upgrade. I you own a 212 I bottom line agree with Paulssurround even if I think Akudoriks will be better anyway. If you have to decide what to buy go for 242 and Majik Exaktbox. Here an interesting review https://www.whathifi.com/linn/akurate-exactakudorik/review

• Like 1

Hallo Piercro. I have a Majikdsm3 and one Exaktbox-I and are waiting for the Katalyst upgrade to appear :) Now I have the m140 speakers without the alu upgradestands but the 3K Driver Array seemes to be the best next step. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks CaptenBonScott

I don't think the wait will be that long now?

Paul, I have a opportunity to get one Aedsm for free so to speak, I can swap it with my Mdsm, do you think that it would be a difference in soundquality ? The bad thing is that I have to buy a dac for my Hifiman HE-500 then..

55 minutes ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Paul, I have a opportunity to get one Aedsm for free so to speak, I can swap it with my Mdsm, do you think that it would be a difference in soundquality ? The bad thing is that I have to buy a dac for my Hifiman HE-500 then..

I'm not Paul, but I do have experience of upgrading the DSM/Hub in an Exakt system. In my case, after I had upgraded my Akurate system (with Akubariks) to Exakt, my dealer (always the salesman!) brought a KEDSM for me to try in place of my ADSM/1. I was very surprised at how much better the KEDSM sounded, and, as I no longer needed the analogue outputs of the ADSM, I did a trade. I'm still glad to own the KEDSM, not least for the quality of its Analogue to Digital converters, one of which I use with my LP12. But it is only fair to say that the Katalyst upgrade to my Exaktbox represented a much greater improvement in sound quality.

Would you get a similar improvement going from your MDSM to the AEDSM? Very possibly, but I'd recommend listening first, as I did. With the AEDSM you will get a better phono stage than the one in the MDSM, if that is relevant, and I think that there's a good chance that the streaming renderer and ADC will be better also. The power supply in the AEDSM does not have to cater for the DAC and processing or for power amplification, as it does in the MDSM. In the end, however, if you can't hear the difference in your system there's not much point in changing.

David

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

What is the difference in sound terms between  the 212 and the Akudorik ?

I consider Akudoriks as the Mk III version of the 212, but with a bigger improvement than going from I to II.

I don't think I would like to trade my fully Aktiv 212s Mk Is for passive Akudoriks, but I certainly wouldn't mind trading them for Exaktudoriks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

I'm not Paul, but I do have experience of upgrading the DSM/Hub in an Exakt system. In my case, after I had upgraded my Akurate system (with Akubariks) to Exakt, my dealer (always the salesman!) brought a KEDSM for me to try in place of my ADSM/1. I was very surprised at how much better the KEDSM sounded, and, as I no longer needed the analogue outputs of the ADSM, I did a trade. I'm still glad to own the KEDSM, not least for the quality of its Analogue to Digital converters, one of which I use with my LP12. But it is only fair to say that the Katalyst upgrade to my Exaktbox represented a much greater improvement in sound quality.

Would you get a similar improvement going from your MDSM to the AEDSM? Very possibly, but I'd recommend listening first, as I did. With the AEDSM you will get a better phono stage than the one in the MDSM, if that is relevant, and I think that there's a good chance that the streaming renderer and ADC will be better also. The power supply in the AEDSM does not have to cater for the DAC and processing or for power amplification, as it does in the MDSM. In the end, however, if you can't hear the difference in your system there's not much point in changing.

David

I agree with DavidHB, regarding trying the AEDSM in your current system.

I believe you are going to be very happy with the outcome. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

The Akudoriks cabinets are more rigid, and have better crossovers and speaker drivers. They were designed and developed by Phil Budd, who also designed the  Akubariks, 530, 520’s, Majik Isobariks, and 109’s as far as I know

For what it is worth I also did the redesign work when Akurate 212 went to Mk II. 

Beyond the improvements in the cabinet design the Akudoriks also have a higher quality bass driver.  It is cleaner through the midrange which, given the fact that the 3K Array kicks in at 360 Hz, might sound unimportant but it really does improve things quite a bit.

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DavidHB said:

David

On my Mdsm ill have several hdmi outputs that I need to my Apple-tv and to the Panasonic plasma. If I go the Klimaxdsm way, which models has hdmi outputs and exakt output ?

5 hours ago, Philbo said:

For what it is worth I also did the redesign work when Akurate 212 went to Mk II. 

Beyond the improvements in the cabinet design the Akudoriks also have a higher quality bass driver.  It is cleaner through the midrange which, given the fact that the 3K Array kicks in at 360 Hz, might sound unimportant but it really does improve things quite a bit.

Phil.

Thanks Philbo,

You have done an incredible job on all of those speaker designs.

I love love love my Akubariks, and get to hear my friend's Akudoriks on a frequent basis. They are truly marvellous .

I do hope that I will get a pair of Akudoriks in the future for my surround setup.

The Katalyst 350's are also a favourite , and I do enjoy their presentation immensely. They are more than worth the extra outlay, but my listening room is not big enough to do them justice.

The 109's are tremendous value, and I am extremely impressed with what they can do when setup properly and SO applied.

I would definitely trade the Majik DSM for the AEDSM or possibly the KEDSM, streaming will certainly be improved and you get a better A/D converter (especially in the KEDSM).

If you can find one with the HDMI 2.0 board, you would only need one HDMI cable from the DSM to the ARC input of your tv (assuming it has one) and you the connect the other devices to the tv. That's what I did, when I got the Katalyst upgrade for my ADSM and it works very well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Philbo said:

Phil.

Impressive Phil, I own the Akudoriks and love them, Katalyst was a game changer as they were a bit too clinical prior to that but assume that's all the "source" in a way as drivers didn't change, etc.

Craig