On 17/04/2019 at 09:40, Philbo said:

For what it is worth I also did the redesign work when Akurate 212 went to Mk II. 

Beyond the improvements in the cabinet design the Akudoriks also have a higher quality bass driver.  It is cleaner through the midrange which, given the fact that the 3K Array kicks in at 360 Hz, might sound unimportant but it really does improve things quite a bit.

Phil.

Thanks Phil.  That helps confirm why I'm so happy with my passive 'doriks.  They're the most musical bookshelf speakers I've ever heard, and sound as sweet as honey driven by a Solo apiece.

I have just one question, if you get the time in your busy schedule to answer: Are the drivers in the Akudoriks derived from those in the discontinued Klimax 320's? 

Cheers, Dave W

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quandary. For instance, the detail the 212's give on one track, Rolling Stones, It's Only Rock and Roll allows me into the studio in a way the Ninkas don't. Keith especially emerges in a way I've neve

On first appearance, they have a lot in common. They both have a 3K array and a similar size volume cabinet.  The 212’s were designed about the time the 242’s came out, and the Akudoriks are

If you do, just listen to the music and ignore the hifi. A life changing opportunity may be available.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:03, Paulssurround said:

Thanks CaptenBonScott

I don't think the wait will be that long now?

I have spoken to my dealer and I will be upgraded soon :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fitter Stoke said:

Thanks Phil.  That helps confirm why I'm so happy with my passive 'doriks.  They're the most musical bookshelf speakers I've ever heard, and sound as sweet as honey driven by a Solo apiece.

I have just one question, if you get the time in your busy schedule to answer: Are the drivers in the Akudoriks derived from those in the discontinued Klimax 320's? 

Cheers, Dave W

No.

The 3K Array is obviously derived from the Array used in the 320, redesigned in 2007 with a new complement of drive units.  Each unit was improved in the  main for consistency through manufacture but some small gains in performance were also taken.

The bass mid is the same used in the Akubarik where it performs upper bass duties.  It has a treated paper cone replacing the multi-layer plastic cone originally used in the 320. This along with a more linear motor provide the improvements heard in the upper registers of its bandwidth.

Phil.

• Upvote 1

I am still running my trusty 320A's, final Dynamik iteration, but now with Klimax Katalyst DSM.  I agree, any lingering 'clinical' characteristic went out the window with Katalyst.  The 3K array is so revealing, you need a great source to not expose deficiencies upstream, which may sound harsh.  I am even using DH Labs silver interconnects and silver/rhodium power cables on the 320A's, which are sometimes faulted for being too bright--not the case with my system.

@Fitter Stoke I bet a Klimax Solo per speaker makes your 'Doriks sing!!!

JazzyG

• 2 months later...

I have the chance for some Akudoriks now :) They are 4-5 years old, so I wonder if there are any differences between the early ones and a newer pair ?  I understand its a big aprovment in sound when I compare it with my 140s,  but how good is the bass in the Akudoriks ?

Edited by CaptenBonScott
spelling
3 minutes ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I understand its a big aprovment in sound when I compare it with my 140s,  but how good is the bass in the Akudoriks ?

I wouldn't go on an "understanding", you need to listen. You are changing from floorstanders to standmounts, very different. The 3k array array is an obvious improvement but, they will be different.

1 hour ago, timster said:

I wouldn't go on an "understanding", you need to listen. You are changing from floorstanders to standmounts, very different. The 3k array array is an obvious improvement but, they will be different.

I have had a pair of 109 and liked them, exept for the bass.

1 minute ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I have had a pair of 109 and liked them, exept for the bass.

That'll probably be the same, to a lesser extent perhaps, for the 'doriks. You may need a sub-bass enhancement.

Technically speaking, the 140s low end response is rated at 50Hz, the 'dorik's at 40Hz. But, the fact they are standmounts/bookshelves probably negate the extra 10Hz they go down to. You'd really have to listen.

• Like 1
On 24/07/2019 at 07:54, CaptenBonScott said:

I have the chance for some Akudoriks now :) They are 4-5 years old, so I wonder if there are any differences between the early ones and a newer pair ?  I understand its a big aprovment in sound when I compare it with my 140s,  but how good is the bass in the Akudoriks ?

I find the Akudoriks’ bass to be thoroughly sweet and musical, albeit (obviously) without the visceral bass feel of Akubariks or 350’s. For my own part, I was lucky to audition both floorstanders at home for an extended period (the 350’s in Katalyst Exakt mode) and, although they provided thrills aplenty - especially the 350’s - the powerful bass dominated the overall sound so much that the 3k arrays (identical in all cases) were too compromised: in short, the mid and top range weren’t clear enough for my liking. I therefore made the decision to stick with my ‘Doriks and drive them with the finest analogue amps I could afford, i.e. two Solos. I’m delighted with the results; others here probably wouldn’t be. That’s why, as others have wisely suggested, you really must hear (and hopefully home audition) the Akudoriks yourself before committing.

• Like 1

3000:- euro, mint condition, 4 years old, stands inkluded, and I can sell my m140s for 1800 euro, 6 months old/new.

2 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

3000:- euro, mint condition, 4 years old, stands inkluded, and I can sell my m140s for 1800 euro, 6 months old/new.

You won't regret it.. B| i went from 140 to the Doriks and they are such beautiful musical speakers.

Combined with the Mexaktbox I Katalyst you will have a killer combination...:whistle::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Rudi64 said:

You won't regret it.. B| i went from 140 to the Doriks and they are such beautiful musical speakers.

Combined with the Mexaktbox I Katalyst you will have a killer combination...:whistle::whistle:

I fully agree with Rudi and Fitter Stoke.

The Doriks will be a wonderful improvement.

• 1 year later...
On 25/07/2019 at 20:24, CaptenBonScott said:

Mr Bonny Scott, I know your post is now almost two years old but I see you have recently changed your Akudoriks to Harbeth. What prompted this and what was your thoughts on the Akudoriks when you finally got them?

I ask as I can see the Akudorik being of future interest to me.

Thanks! Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
6 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Mr Bonny Scott, I know your post is now almost two years old but I see you have recently changed your Akudoriks to Harbeth. What prompted this and what was your thoughts on the Akudoriks when you finally got them?

I ask as I can see the Akudorik being of future interest to me.

Thanks! Mike.

I think Linn has the world's best streamers but I got a bit stuck in my previous setup which consisted of Aedsm, Exaktbox-I, Exaktbox sub, Akudoriks and JL audio 110e. I think and it is my opinion that Linn together with SO and exakt removes quite a lot of how it sounds for real and that the feeling in the music almost disappears. When I sold everything except my Akudoriks and bought a Selekt with katalyst, I discovered that the feeling in the sound came back and when I tried a pair of Harbeth 30.1 I came to the realization how natural and genuine it can sound with passive speakers, I do not regret my choice. Now I also have the opportunity to try a few different speakers. My next step would have been to buy a pair of Akubarik exakt katalyst and you never know but Im a happy dog right now 🙂