2 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I think Linn has the world's best streamers but I got a bit stuck in my previous setup which consisted of Aedsm, Exaktbox-I, Exaktbox sub, Akudoriks and JL audio 110e. I think and it is my opinion that Linn together with SO and exakt removes quite a lot of how it sounds for real and that the feeling in the music almost disappears. When I sold everything except my Akudoriks and bought a Selekt with katalyst, I discovered that the feeling in the sound came back and when I tried a pair of Harbeth 30.1 I came to the realization how natural and genuine it can sound with passive speakers, I do not regret my choice. Now I also have the opportunity to try a few different speakers. My next step would have been to buy a pair of Akubarik exakt katalyst and you never know but Im a happy dog right now 🙂

Very interesting Capten. I guess Exakt isn't for everyone. I've read that some people for whatever reason don't get on with the Exakt sound or even feel SO is necessary. 

I'm pleased that you have taken a step back and are now enjoying your music again. Like you say, there's now hundreds of loudspeakers now available for you straight 'off the shelf'.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quandary. For instance, the detail the 212's give on one track, Rolling Stones, It's Only Rock and Roll allows me into the studio in a way the Ninkas don't. Keith especially emerges in a way I've neve

On first appearance, they have a lot in common. They both have a 3K array and a similar size volume cabinet.  The 212’s were designed about the time the 242’s came out, and the Akudoriks are

If you do, just listen to the music and ignore the hifi. A life changing opportunity may be available.

I think Linn has the world's best streamers but I got a bit stuck in my previous setup which consisted of Aedsm, Exaktbox-I, Exaktbox sub, Akudoriks and JL audio 110e. I think and it is my opinion that Linn together with SO and exakt removes quite a lot of how it sounds for real and that the feeling in the music almost disappears. When I sold everything except my Akudoriks and bought a Selekt with katalyst, I discovered that the feeling in the sound came back and when I tried a pair of Harbeth 30.1 I came to the realization how natural and genuine it can sound with passive speakers, I do not regret my choice. Now I also have the opportunity to try a few different speakers. My next step would have been to buy a pair of Akubarik exakt katalyst and you never know but Im a happy dog right now

Are you using the Harbeth’s with just the internal amps on the selekt? I’ve felt the same way in recent weeks and this has only happened as I converted my kabers back to passive and am now running them in a single Klout. There are days where I enjoy the passive setup more than my aktiv 242’s. I’m was questioning my planned katalyst upgrade to my Adsm/1 but I feel the source upgrade can only be a good thing.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
7 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I think Linn has the world's best streamers but I got a bit stuck in my previous setup which consisted of Aedsm, Exaktbox-I, Exaktbox sub, Akudoriks and JL audio 110e. I think and it is my opinion that Linn together with SO and exakt removes quite a lot of how it sounds for real and that the feeling in the music almost disappears. When I sold everything except my Akudoriks and bought a Selekt with katalyst, I discovered that the feeling in the sound came back and when I tried a pair of Harbeth 30.1 I came to the realization how natural and genuine it can sound with passive speakers, I do not regret my choice. Now I also have the opportunity to try a few different speakers. My next step would have been to buy a pair of Akubarik exakt katalyst and you never know but Im a happy dog right now 🙂

Good to hear you have found a setup that works best for you.

‘One of my friends here loved my Aktiv Akubariks, but when I went to Exakt, he did not like them as much. When I converted the Akubariks to Katalyst he enjoyed them again.

‘He prefers a smoother sound with less dynamics, so it does not set off his tinnitus. He owns McIntosh preamp and amp driving big Tannoys

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Good to hear you have found a setup that works best for you.

‘One of my friends here loved my Aktiv Akubariks, but when I went to Exakt, he did not like them as much. When I converted the Akubariks to Katalyst he enjoyed them again.

‘He prefers a smoother sound with less dynamics, so it does not set off his tinnitus. He owns McIntosh preamp and amp driving big Tannoys

There's gold in them thar hills!

Didn't you once tell me you had a bit of tinnitus too Paul?

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
1 hour ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Didn't you once tell me you had a bit of tinnitus too Paul?

Only if I hear music that is too loud. 

9 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Same feeling here..

However my system sounds fabulous for the moment i got the same impression that sometimes i miss something in the music,  but i can't put my finger on it..but i'm still ok with that (for now;))

Edited by Rudi64
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I read this with great interest. My system sounds very natural and genuine with Exakt ad SO. But, I know what you mean about passive systems. My recent experience at Majik level taught me a lot. I'm thinking that Exakt may be too revealing for a digital source, in some cases. With a good source, Exakt and SO seem to bring more of the musicality to the music.

Duplicate reply deleted.

Edited by akamatsu
19 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I read this with great interest. My system sounds very natural and genuine with Exakt ad SO. But, I know what you mean about passive systems. My recent experience at Majik level taught me a lot. I'm thinking that Exakt may be too revealing for a digital source, in some cases. With a good source, Exakt and SO seem to bring more of the musicality to the music.

Michael, I'm enjoying my Exakt experience with only digital sources. I mean, why would I want to use technology from the last century which should really be sitting behind glass in a museum? ;) I have never found my system to be too revealing, but then again I've never used loudspeakers with either the 2K or 3K Arrays. I'm intrigued to what they would bring to my system...one day I'll find out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
43 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Michael, I'm enjoying my Exakt experience with only digital sources. I mean, why would I want to use technology from the last century which should really be sitting behind glass in a museum? ;) I have never found my system to be too revealing, but then again I've never used loudspeakers with either the 2K or 3K Arrays. I'm intrigued to what they would bring to my system...one day I'll find out.

That's why I said "in some cases." I don't have any answers other than you should use old technology for the purposes of nostalgia, expense, and inconvenience. :D

I too enjoy digital music, as long as it is a good recording. A not so good recording streamed digitally isn't listenable to me. This is an inquiry. This isn't the first time that I've heard someone say they thought passive sounded better than Exakt. I'd like to understand what is going on with that.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Rudi64 said:

Same feeling here..

However my system sounds fabulous for the moment i got the same impression that sometimes i miss something in the music,  but i can't put my finger on it..but i'm still ok with that (for now;))

The missing piece for me was when I discovered what a better switch and power supply can do, mitigating the digital edge to the music that I did not know was there until it disappeared 

18 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

The missing piece for me was when I discovered what a better switch and power supply can do, mitigating the digital edge to the music that I did not know was there until it disappeared 

Paul, interesting, do you think that what you are hearing with your new switches and power supply is that it's taking away the 'digital edge' as you call it, to the music? So that's the reason things sound better? It's less digital sounding?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Well, by coincidence today i came across a brand new Cisco Meraki 220 8p switch on ebay, i did a low bid and to my suprise the seller accepted it..this switch was in a group of 7 blind tested on the dutch website "alpha audio" and rated on the same level as the silent angel and near the sotm switch..so i will find out soon:)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Paul, interesting, do you think that what you are hearing with your new switches and power supply is that it's taking away the 'digital edge' as you call it, to the music? So that's the reason things sound better? It's less digital sounding?

Good question Mike,

‘After watching the Alpha Audio video posted by Stefke recently, that Rudy64 mentions below, Alpha mention that the better switches and power supplies help to mitigate the noise that travels along the Ethernet cables, contaminating the signal that carries the music data. They mentioned that a switch is a hostile environment for music data, picking up a lot of noise,  in the switch and network. In my system.

‘It is that electrical noise that Alpha Audio say is probably responsible for the digital edge. I believe that EMI and RF also contribute to the digital edge.

‘I have heard this in my system, how the introduction of a better switch and power supply for the switch, has brought an improvement to the sound quality. I would say subjectively, my Bonn N8 brought moderate change when placed in my system compared to my previous NetGear and Cisco switch, while the new Bonn Forester F1 power supply brought a substantial improvement in sound quality, to the Bonn N8/Forester F1 combination.

‘Music is more realistic in every way, and voices and instruments are natural, organic and relaxed, with greater detail, punch and musicality. Soundstage is bigger and more engaging and an absolute delight to listen to.

1 hour ago, Rudi64 said:

Well, by coincidence today i came across a brand new Cisco Meraki 220 8p switch on ebay, i did a low bid and to my suprise the seller accepted it..this switch was in a group of 7 blind tested on the dutch website "alpha audio" and rated on the same level as the silent angel and near the sotm switch..so i will find out soon:)

Congratulations Rudy,

‘I hope this works out well for you, as my new Bonn N8 switch has for me.

As I mention in my reply to SnapperMike above in this post, the switch with a better power supply has been grande!!!

Edited by Paulssurround
54 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Good question Mike,

‘After watching the Alpha Audio video posted by Stefke recently, that Rudy64 mentions below, Alpha mention that the better switches and power supplies help to mitigate the noise that travels along the Ethernet cables, contaminating the signal that carries the music data. They mentioned that a switch is a hostile environment for music data, picking up a lot of noise,  in the switch and network. In my system.

‘It is that electrical noise that Alpha Audio say is probably responsible for the digital edge. I believe that EMI and RF also contribute to the digital edge.

‘I have heard this in my system, how the introduction of a better switch and power supply for the switch, has brought an improvement to the sound quality. I would say subjectively, my Bonn N8 brought moderate change when placed in my system compared to my previous NetGear and Cisco switch, while the new Bonn Forester F1 power supply brought a substantial improvement in sound quality, to the Bonn N8/Forester F1 combination.

‘Music is more realistic in every way, and voices and instruments are natural, organic and relaxed, with greater detail, punch and musicality. Soundstage is bigger and more engaging and an absolute delight to listen to.

Congratulations Rudy,

‘I hope this works out well for you, as my new Bonn N8 switch has for me.

As I mention in my reply to SnapperMike above in this post, the switch with a better power supply has been grande!!!

Excellent Paul! I'm pleased that you've managed to find yet another, albeit not so cheap, tweak to improve your overall sound.

I have the English Electric 8Switch here. It came as part of the deal when I purchased my fairly recent ASH and AEB-I combo. From what I can make out after watching that fascinating video that @Stefke posted is that the EE 8Switch and the Bonn N8 are very closely related. They may even be the same product in a different dress. Anyway, as I haven't yet listened to my system with a 'cheap' switch I think I'll do a test where I insert a £20 Netgear switch and take out the EE switch and see what differences I can detect.

Of course, I'm still using the standard power supply that came with the EE switch but after watching that video it would appear the actual power supply is a mayor if not an overriding factor in the improved sound of the switch itself. It's a very interesting topic.

As I just love spending other people's money, it would be interesting to see if that Paul Pang Quad switch and Hypsos power supply would improve your sound even further? :) 

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1